CJohn

Kong: Skull Island | March 10, 2017 | Tom Hiddleston, Brie Larson, John Goodman | Crosses 500M WW

13 hours ago, The Futurist said:

@Baumer,@acslater

I am hearing a terrible rumor, Brie s

Reveal hidden contents

Sorry for destroying (y)our world.

:(

That's pretty obvious. Not a rumor. There are many before and after shots that show a noticeable difference. I'm not surprised. She thinks JLaw's quote that "the oscar is our PhD" is super smart. :rofl:So that tells you what level of depth you are dealing with here. The spoiler content is right up such deep thinker's alley. I like her and Jlaw but celebrities are not role models. 

2 hours ago, Bishop54 said:

Kong does $61M opening weekend and now people are truly thinking that there will be a solo Rodan movie in 2021 lol. There won't be a Rodan movie, a Mothra movie, or a Ghidorah movie...ever! People need to slow down. 

Yeah, I don't think there will be either but I'm sure they can be inserted just fine into sequels for Godzilla and Kong.

1 hour ago, Arlborn said:

Yeah, I don't think there will be either but I'm sure they can be inserted just fine into sequels for Godzilla and Kong.

Of course. Giving them their own movie would be like WB/DC doing a solo Cyborg movie or Marvel doing a solo Vision movie. The characters aren't big enough to carry a movie on their own.

2 minutes ago, Bishop54 said:

Of course. Giving them their own movie would be like WB/DC doing a solo Cyborg movie or Marvel doing a solo Vision movie. The characters aren't big enough to carry a movie on their own.

One of those proposed movies is on the list to be made.

I just want a Mothra movie.

2 hours ago, Bishop54 said:

Godzilla barely turned a profit 

We obviously never know for sure, but if the rumored 160 million dollar budget is true, with that low profit participation director and cast, it must have turned a huge profit.

According to deadline estimate Godzilla turned a giant profit of 91 million shared between Warner and Legendary:

http://deadline.com/2015/03/godzilla-profit-box-office-2014-1201389604/

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Barnack said:

We obviously never know for sure, but if the rumored 160 million dollar budget is true, with that low profit participation director and cast, it must have turned a huge profit.

According to deadline estimate Godzilla turned a giant profit of 91 million shared between Warner and Legendary:

http://deadline.com/2015/03/godzilla-profit-box-office-2014-1201389604/

They also mention it had billion dollar aspirations due to the name recognition. It did a little over half of that. 

1 minute ago, Bishop54 said:

Godzilla ranked 19th on that list, only Interstellar ranked lower. 

Yes on that list of the most profitable movie of the year, by their evaluation.

And it is because they are cutting the profit between legendary and WB, and ranked it by studio profit alone (while most movies on that list had co-financier taking a share of the profit), otherwise it would be just below the Hobbit on that list.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Barnack said:

And it is because they are cutting the profit between legendary and WB, and ranked it by studio profit alone (while most movies on that list had co-financier taking a share of the profit), otherwise it would be just below the Hobbit on that list.

Isn't the list composed of just blockbusters? As in big budget films?

13 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

Yeah, aspirations.  That's a hope, not a guarantee or a realistic projection.

Not sure they had those aspirations really, press aspiration for movies is often quite different than studio aspiration, the biggest star of the movie was by far Binoche, a budget not that far from last year Deepwater Horizon, that do not scream going for the billion dollar world box office mark to me.

Sony had a 764 million target for James Bond 24, the sequel of Skyfall that made over a billion, I'm sure you can find people saying they aspired to do more than the 880 million it did.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bishop54 said:

The list (completely imperfect, usually overestimate studio profit) is trying to list the 20 most profitable (in absolute profit, not ROI) movie of the year for the studios, it tend to be fill of big budget movies, but you have mid budgeter in it too, like Neighbors, Jump street, etc...

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Barnack said:

1 minute ago, That One Guy said:

Hmm, I did see that the most profitable movie of 2014 was Trans4mers.  Now I can completely understand why the 5th one got the greenlight :lol: 

I suspect they are overestimating Transformer 4 profit quite a lot, particularly that 75 million participation, that is less than 10% of the gross, I would imagine it is closer to 25% of gross going away, more in the 150/200+ million range going to Hasbro, Spielberg, Bay, Wahlberg, etc...

• Like 1