CJohn

Kong: Skull Island | March 10, 2017 | Tom Hiddleston, Brie Larson, John Goodman | Crosses 500M WW

51 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

So... Jurrassic World with 70s music?

it's better than that. John C. Reilly and Jackson have more conviction and presence than anyone in JW. And, the creature's here are more fun, more alive. Though, in both cases, though Skull Island does dole out some fits of awesome fury, lacked in monster brawl department. Jackson really spoiled with his Kong v. dino brawl back in '05. Nothing here holds a torch to it. I will say for JW, at least the characters seemed frightened to the point of madness when the dinos run rampant... Here, on this Skull Island, people don't react with anything that feels remotely earnest. People should've been going into cardiac arrest when first see Kong then later again when bumping into the rest of the motley crew of beasties on the island.

Edited by JohnnyGossamer
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, cubsfan said:

Much, much better then that.  I had a blast with this!  Maybe it was the audience I was with, but everyone had a great time.  Plus, it had a great heart.  Maybe it's the Cubs fan in me, but I adored the ending.  

I really love the visuals of this and Godzilla.  Very confident and unique for big budget fare.  

Definitely has more heart than JW but, again, solely due to Reilly, Jackson and Kong. Reilly brings genuine warmth, Jackson the darkness and Kong the primal heart of the beast. Every other human's useless. The creatures, while less so, still didn't pop enough for me but I did have fun with some of 'em, especially Kong's adversaries.

Kong Bombs: down goes kong

Warner Bros./Legendary’s Kong: Skull Island started the weekend with Thursday preshows grossing $3.7M. The film expands to 3,846 theaters today and will also be shown in Imax and 3D. The Jordan Vogt-Roberts film starring Hollywood’s most notorious star is also pouncing in 65 offshore territories. Yesterday, he made a total of $3.3M from plays in South Korea, France, Russia, Indonesia, and hit No. 1 in those countries.

http://deadline.com/2017/03/kong-skull-island-logan-weekend-box-office-get-out-1202040377/

1 hour ago, Gokira2012 said:

Kong Bombs: down goes kong

Warner Bros./Legendary’s Kong: Skull Island started the weekend with Thursday preshows grossing $3.7M. The film expands to 3,846 theaters today and will also be shown in Imax and 3D. The Jordan Vogt-Roberts film starring Hollywood’s most notorious star is also pouncing in 65 offshore territories. Yesterday, he made a total of $3.3M from plays in South Korea, France, Russia, Indonesia, and hit No. 1 in those countries.

http://deadline.com/2017/03/kong-skull-island-logan-weekend-box-office-get-out-1202040377/

That could potentially get it to 50M.  Bomb?

5 hours ago, Jake Gittes said:

It just never feels like any genuine effort went into anything other than the visuals. The movie doesn't bother with tension instead just going straight for the money shots (kind of an opposite of Godzilla '14 in that sense), every single character (and there are like 15 to keep track of) is an instantly forgettable stock type yet the movie spends half an hour introducing them and then more time trying to make the audience give a shit about them, John C. Reilly is the only one who looks like he's really having fun, the dialogue is so uninspired that the script actually has the characters joke about it (which doesn't make it any smarter), the soundtrack is just totally random '70s tunes (including inevitably some Bowie and some stuff that was already better used in say Dazed and Confused) playing over scenes for no meaningful reason, there's a bunch of references to Vietnam and visual callbacks to war movies and it all rings completely hollow too. The action is fine, and the monsters look great, but everything around that is just one enormous pile of nothing, and so it robs the action of any stakes as well. To paraphrase Veep, it's a Frankenstein monster if the monster was made entirely of dead parts of other blockbusters. 

See I can completely understand where you're coming from but none of that bothered me and I actually really liked the score/music. It didn't feel like it took a half hour to set up the trip to the island either and while it's doing that, it's zipping from location to location. 

Spoiler

The scene where they board the boat reminded me a lot of Mortal Kombat....I don't know if that's a good or bad thing lol

I thought the score worked as long as you didn't think about it logically.

Spoiler

I got what they were going for with Vietnam and Bries pacifist character vs. Jacksons war monger.

I agree about the dialogue but that was like JW for me where it never was bad enough to take me out of it. You are clearly on the side who hated the characters but I just didn't expect them to be that deep to begin with I guess. I remember movies from the 90s having similar characters and dialogue to this. I just went along for the ride so I was able to shrug it off a lot easier.

A lot of people on Youtube are acting like the characters are as bland as a movie like ID: Resurgence and I didn't get that. They could have been used a lot better but I treated them as spectators to the island as we were as the audience. 

Edited by somebody85

3 hours ago, Hatebox said:

So Hiddleston's nothing special, then? This seems like it was a big test for him that he's not going to pass...

He's pretty much Pratt in JW minus the trailer scene with Bryce. If you liked Pratt, you'll be okay with him. It's nearly the same role.

He has charisma, he just never does anything that makes him stand out that much.

1 minute ago, somebody85 said:

He's pretty much Pratt in JW minus the trailer scene with Bryce. If you liked Pratt, you'll be okay with him. It's nearly the same role.

He has charisma, he just never does anything that makes him stand out that much.

I guess at least Pratt can look at JW and say 'yeah, my character sucks — but the movie still made 1.67b'.

2 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

I guess at least Pratt can look at JW and say 'yeah, my character sucks — but the movie still made 1.67b'.

Haha right. And Bries about as deep as Bryce Howard was in JW. She's a journalist/photographer who plays the peace role in a vietnam era. Again she never really does anything that stands out outside of cliche moments but does have one scene that sort of establishes her love for animals. Again she has charisma but many are going to mock all the times she has a shocked face.

Spoiler

This isn't like other King Kongs where he falls in love with the girl. He is more a guardian to here.

• Like 2