CJohn

Kong: Skull Island | March 10, 2017 | Tom Hiddleston, Brie Larson, John Goodman | Crosses 500M WW

20 minutes ago, marveldcfox said:

This trailer reeks of desperation. 

Jackson's Kong was beautiful to look at. Here, everything looks so blurry and fast paced..Meh. 

Will flop badly. 

Based on this, your response to Alien: Covenant and your user name I'm guessing your praying that these monster movies do bad in hopes that Studios will pump out more superhero movies instead. Yeah not happening

57 minutes ago, NoobSaibot said:

Comparing it to Peter Jackson's King Kong is one of the oddest things I can think of.

This is going to be more of a modern blockbuster than a love letter to a classic film. The two films are completely different.

Yeah, that's pretty much my take on it as well.

I can't wait to see it! Logan and then Kong! That's awesome.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AgentofMONARCH said:

^Exhibit A right here on the bias

48 minutes ago, AgentofMONARCH said:

Based on this, your response to Alien: Covenant and your user name I'm guessing your praying that these monster movies do bad in hopes that Studios will pump out more superhero movies instead. Yeah not happening

Dude, you're probably correct that there are some who are biased and are anti non-Disney or non-Super-hero franchise, or just hate everything Warner (even though this is mostly a Legendary project and was supposed to be originally distributed by Universal which distributed the PJ King Kong movie) due to Warner's possession of most of the non-Disney franchises. You probably want this movie to succeed because you want more Godzilla and other monsters. I have a few suggestions for you.

1) Calm down. Kong will probably do well overseas even if not in North America. Pacific Rim did better in China than DOM and it received a sequel from Legendary. Kong will probably defeat BatB in China, which nowadays is a very important market. Resident Evil will end up being a success because of China, maybe. However Kong does in DOM, Legendary and Warner are already proceeding with production on Godzilla: King of Monsters. By the time that movie hits theaters, Kong v Godzilla will have finished filming already. This film universe will for sure at least have 4 films total. 

2) Use facts, not insults. Some, who you have attacked, are just giving their opinions, or basing their predictions for the movie's BO on social-media metrics, tracking, and pre-sale figures. People missed that Jurassic World (which was also produced by Legendary) would do better than 600 million, even with it doing so strongly in pre-sales. You could also use an example like Tarzan: http://variety.com/2016/film/box-office/bfg-box-office-legend-of-tarzan-1201796977/. For that movie, and BFG, the studios behind them said they were yet to unveil most of their marketing, even two weeks before release. Even the best estimates had Tarzan doing 30 million at most over 4 days. People here ran with that and predicted it would do something like 17 million. Even though RT percentage hovered around 30% at tiem of release, Tarzan ended up around 38 million its first 3 days and over 45 over the first 4 days. Like Kong, Tarzan was much overshadowed by a Disney movie. Finding Dory was the top DOM of its year (Rogue One spilled into 2017) and BatB is looking like it'll rule 2017 until the next Star Wars movie. 

3) Enjoy your movie. Do not let the opinions of others, whether they're honest or trollish, bother you so much that you're feeling stressed over a movie.

• Like 7

28 minutes ago, UrosepsisFace said:

Dude, you're probably correct that there are some who are biased and are anti non-Disney or non-Super-hero franchise, or just hate everything Warner (even though this is mostly a Legendary project and was supposed to be originally distributed by Universal which distributed the PJ King Kong movie) due to Warner's possession of most of the non-Disney franchises. You probably want this movie to succeed because you want more Godzilla and other monsters. I have a few suggestions for you.

Also, I'd like to point out that there are very few people here who're broadly against an entire studio or entire genre. (To the extent that they exist, they tend to fall into the usual Marvel vs. DC crowd).

57 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

Also, I'd like to point out that there are very few people here who're broadly against an entire studio or entire genre. (To the extent that they exist, they tend to fall into the usual Marvel vs. DC crowd).

The only thread I paid a lot of attention to that was filled with so much vitriol was Ghostbusters. It was around the time I signed up. It's still the most heated I've seen yet.

But that was about one film...

Edited by NoobSaibot
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, UrosepsisFace said:

1) Calm down. Kong will probably do well overseas even if not in North America. Pacific Rim did better in China than DOM and it received a sequel from Legendary. Kong will probably defeat BatB in China, which nowadays is a very important market. Resident Evil will end up being a success because of China, maybe. However Kong does in DOM, Legendary and Warner are already proceeding with production on Godzilla: King of Monsters. By the time that movie hits theaters, Kong v Godzilla will have finished filming already. This film universe will for sure at least have 4 films total. 

2) Use facts, not insults. Some, who you have attacked, are just giving their opinions, or basing their predictions for the movie's BO on social-media metrics, tracking, and pre-sale figures. People missed that Jurassic World (which was also produced by Legendary) would do better than 600 million, even with it doing so strongly in pre-sales. You could also use an example like Tarzan: http://variety.com/2016/film/box-office/bfg-box-office-legend-of-tarzan-1201796977/. For that movie, and BFG, the studios behind them said they were yet to unveil most of their marketing, even two weeks before release. Even the best estimates had Tarzan doing 30 million at most over 4 days. People here ran with that and predicted it would do something like 17 million. Even though RT percentage hovered around 30% at tiem of release, Tarzan ended up around 38 million its first 3 days and over 45 over the first 4 days. Like Kong, Tarzan was much overshadowed by a Disney movie. Finding Dory was the top DOM of its year (Rogue One spilled into 2017) and BatB is looking like it'll rule 2017 until the next Star Wars movie. 

3) Enjoy your movie. Do not let the opinions of others, whether they're honest or trollish, bother you so much that you're feeling stressed over a movie.

Here's the deal. I don't actively try to be an asshole. I really don't but when it seems like here people are either wanting this movie/universe to fail or looking for reasons for it to fail irks me not only as lifelong passionate fan but as someone who urns to see more different things in the theater.

I'm becoming burnt out on superhero movies even though I love the MCU. Spider-Man is my favorite but I'm having a hard time getting excited for Homecoming even though it's back at Marvel. The DC movies are just terrible IMO and I keep forgetting Justice league and Wonder Woman even come out this year. I went to Walmart the other day and when looking at their pop culture shirts all I see is an abundance of DC and Marvel. That's boring to me because there is no variety. Don't even get me started on TMNT.

I don't have any issues with Star Wars because I love that franchise but I still can't help but worry this new trilogy is going to be a carbon copy of the old one. Fast and Furious? I don't even know how that franchise is continuing or why it's so popular. Same with Transformers.

I grew up on stuff like Godzilla, King Kong, the Universal Monsters, Alien, Predator and Jurassic Park. We were so very close to having a good American Godzilla franchise before Sony fucked it up at the last minute and it very nearly killed the franchise. But now we have another chance again. I want these franchises to keep going on and to share them with my kids. And so when people actively try to trash them for no reason but yet keep begging for more superhero or Disney movies it gets frustrating. There's no reason these monster movies can't be successful but it's hard when they keep getting buried by the monthly Disney and Superhero movie and people trashing them for no good reason.

I know I'll love the movie but I want it to do well to show studios this is a franchise/universe/genre worth investigating in.

Edited by AgentofMONARCH

1 minute ago, AgentofMONARCH said:

Here's the deal. I don't actively try to be an asshole. I really don't but when it seems like here people are either wanting this movie/universe to fail or looking for reasons for it to fail irks me not only as lifelong passionate fan but as someone who urns to see more different things in the theater.

Fair enough. As it happens, Empire City doesn't particularly swing either way when it comes to franchises, though he gets excited when big numbers are in-bound (recent example, BEAUTY AND THE BEAST). He also one of the few people here who can give real, actual numbers well before they're announced anywhere else. So rather than push back on what you see as an attack on KONG, just realize he's posting information, not opinion.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, AgentofMONARCH said:

I'm becoming burnt out on superhero movies even though I love the MCU. Spider-Man is my favorite but I'm having a hard time getting excited for Homecoming even though it's back at Marvel. The DC movies are just terrible IMO and I keep forgetting Justice league and Wonder Woman even come out this year. I went to Walmart the other day and when looking at their pop culture shirts all I see is an abundance of DC and Marvel. That's boring to me because there is no variety. Don't even get me started on TMNT.

I don't have any issues with Star Wars because I love that franchise but I still can't help but worry this new trilogy is going to be a carbon copy of the old one. Fast and Furious? I don't even know how that franchise is continuing or why it's so popular. Same with Transformers.

I grew up on stuff like Godzilla, King Kong, the Universal Monsters, Alien, Predator and Jurassic Park. We were so very close to having a good American Godzilla franchise before Sony fucked it up at the last minute and it very nearly killed the franchise. But now we have another chance again. I want these franchises to keep going on and to share them with my kids. And so when people actively try to trash them for no reason but yet keep begging for more superhero or Disney movies it gets frustrating. There's no reason these monster movies can't be successful but it's hard when they keep getting buried by the monthly Disney and Superhero movie and people trashing them for no good reason.

I know I'll love the movie but I want it to do well to show studios this is a franchise/universe/genre worth investigating in.

It's cool. I'm actually more excited for Kong than any other super-hero movie too, but rest assured that you'll at least get four movies from this "monsterverse" for you and your kids to enjoy, even IF Kong makes 30 million DOM. Legendary is owned by Wanda now, and I'm pretty sure Kong will have an audience in China. Also, WB looks like it's crutch will be DC super-heroes, but I'm sure they know better to put all the eggs in one basket. Disney has always been a draw, and super-heroes are the fad genre now, but EVENTUALLY people have to get tired of the same stuff over and over again, right? Probably not, but hey, like I said, for sure you'll at least get four Monster movies. Also, WB will even throw in Meg and Rampage! Also, I suggest expanding your horizons and keep an open mind to non-franchise films and HBO, Netflix, Amazon, etc are coming up with amazing original content these days.

Also, people here are just giving their opinion or just relaying facts that they are privy to. At least the trailer reactions have been positive and this movie is gaining some steam on social media. The few people who don't think it's too impressive here have far less influence than the product speaking for itself. Simply, at worst, the movie flops in North America and you only get two more movies from this franchise. Anything else is just icing on the cake. Hey, I've been waiting for Fantasy properties to be adapted, and besides Tolkien-verse, I have only seen disappointment. Also, because the several projects upcoming are WB Dungeons and Dragons, WB Bone, and Lionsgate Kingkiller Chronicle-verse, I'm sure the internet will greet them with doubt and negativity. Like I said though, the product has the largest voice and can speak for itself.

• Like 1