#ED

Sun#s pg 230...Wknd Est: DOFP: 91M, Godzilla - 31.4M, Blended - 14.2M , NB - 13.9M [NO SPOILERS]

So. CAP2, ASM2, Zilla, X, T4, Dragon 2 - all either locked or already past 200m. That leaves just 2 for record number of 200 million summer movies

which other movie can do it. maleficent has a shot. apes had a shot. don't know what else.

Edited by a2k

So. CAP2, ASM2, Zilla, X, T4, Dragon 2 - all either locked or already past 200m. That leaves just 2 for record number of 200 million summer movies

TF is hitting 300m, so you better get 3 more, not 2.

which other movie can do it. maleficent has a shot. apes had a shot. don't know what else.

Maleficent and Apes are the strongest players but there are so many other. Fault can be Blind-Side like breakout with stupid long legs. Some comedy may breakout hugely. GOTG if stars align (like for Zilla) may easily go 200m. Turtles are there, with serious lack of family/animated flicks they may benefit heavily. 

TF is hitting 300m, so you better get 3 more, not 2.

A 300m movie is also automaticaly a 200m+ movie too xD Edited by BobbyJohn

22 Jump St is going to be huge.

• Like 3

I'm still learning - rather poorly - this whole box office thing.  And it's been my understanding that May openers perform better than April openers, yet, so far this year they have performed about the same, with the April opener still ahead.  Anyone care to educate this relative newbie about what this means?

I'm still learning - rather poorly - this whole box office thing. And it's been my understanding that May openers perform better than April openers, yet, so far this year they have performed about the same, with the April opener still ahead. Anyone care to educate this relative newbie about what this means?

It depends on the movie much more than the month of release. Open Avengers 2 in any month, it will open with at least 180m.

I'm thinking more and more I'll watch it soon. Maybe tomorrow.

Watching Chef? Go for it. It's a simple straightforward movie but the characters are fun to watch. And the cooking!....makes me hungry just thinking about the food. :D

Flooding put thousands of people with no lights no homes. Thats alot of money, have no idea how much millions

were deprived from both Xmen and Godzilla, but look at just the early reports in May i posted.

Trust me it affect both movies...Xmen on the lesser scale, because its the top priority for folks to see, so if you managed

to get to a mall or local theater.. Your likely not going to checkout the older films..You want the new big event movie.

Studios need to schedule their films far better  though. .Especially reboots and debut films

I'm getting a flashback to TDKR here....

• Like 1

Saw VERTIGO in 70mm tonight. So I think I win the weekend. 

WOOOOO!  One of the best movies EVER!!  If you liked it, check out LIFEBOAT.  It's a similar psychological display only with physical constraints.  But I diverge. 

Tough for DOFP, but at least it's a movie of which Fox can be proud.  With it, the damage done by X3 and XOW is redressed.  And the franchise has plenty of breathing room for growth.  Kudos to all involved.  

On the other hand, Godzilla deserved its drop.  Sorry.  :( 

I'm still learning - rather poorly - this whole box office thing.  And it's been my understanding that May openers perform better than April openers, yet, so far this year they have performed about the same, with the April opener still ahead.  Anyone care to educate this relative newbie about what this means?

On average they do.  CA2 is April's biggest opening by about $10m and the movie it passed opened the last not the first weekend of April.  April doesn't even get the full effect of Spring Break that March gives.  Sometimes it benefits from Easter - but that's not exactly Memorial Day, Thanksgiving or X-Mas in terms of B.O. bumps.

May openings on average yield bigger openings and then as it gets deeper into summer and schools let out bigger weekdays  They also have tend to average bigger drops weekend to weekend since they're packed with more competition.  Even with the competition the trade-offs of a May/June/July release though are seen as an advantage.  

Seeing how CA2, Lego, Hunger Games etc have performed in Feb, March and April though may cause studios to re-consider that tradeoff.  A decade or so ago May wasn't considered the opening of summer and now it's a very if not most coveted spot. Maybe 5 years from now every studio will be fighting for the first week of April or October.  ;)

• Like 1

WOOOOO!  One of the best movies EVER!!  If you liked it, check out LIFEBOAT.  It's a similar psychological display only with physical constraints.  But I diverge. 

Tough for DOFP, but at least it's a movie of which Fox can be proud.  With it, the damage done by X3 and XOW is redressed.  And the franchise has plenty of breathing room for growth.  Kudos to all involved.  

On the other hand, Godzilla deserved its drop.  Sorry.  :(

*insert Claire gif here*

• Like 1

On average they do.  CA2 is April's biggest opening by about $10m and the movie it passed opened the last not the first weekend of April.  April doesn't even get the full effect of Spring Break that March gives.  Sometimes it benefits from Easter - but that's not exactly Memorial Day, Thanksgiving or X-Mas in terms of B.O. bumps.

May openings on average yield bigger openings and then as it gets deeper into summer and schools let out bigger weekdays  They also have tend to average bigger drops weekend to weekend since they're packed with more competition.  Even with the competition the trade-offs of a May/June/July release though are seen as an advantage.  

Seeing how CA2, Lego, Hunger Games etc have performed in Feb, March and April though may cause studios to re-consider that tradeoff.  A decade or so ago May wasn't considered the opening of summer and now it's a very if not most coveted spot. Maybe 5 years from now every studio will be fighting for the first week of April or October.  ;)

The month of May has been considered the start of summer for a long time. The Phantom Menace came out in May way back in '99. The Mummy Returns kicked off May with a huge OW back in '01. Spider-Man crushed every record imaginable back in '02 and made the first weekend of May one of the most coveted slots on the calendar.

That's good. I didn't know we were entering into record territory.