grim22

My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2 | March 25 2016 | Script by Nia Vardalos. John Corbett returning. Kirk Jones directing.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/my-big-fat-greek-wedding-707365

Get ready for a big fat Greek sequel.

The stars and producers of 2002's My Big Fat Greek Wedding have reunited to make a sequel to one of the most successful independent movies of all time.

Nia Vardalos has written the script for the project and will reprise her role as a first generation Greek-American woman, while John Corbett is attached to reprise his role as the non-Greek who fell in love with her.Playtone, HBO and Gold Circle are back as the entities behind the new project. Rita Wilson, Tom Hanks, and Gary Goetzman are returning as producers (via their Playtone shingle). Paul Brooks, Scott Niemeyer, Norm Waitt and Steven Shareshian will exec produce. Vardalos will also exec produce.

Edited by CJohn

Kirk Jones directing

http://www.thewrap.com/kirk-jones-to-direct-my-big-fat-greek-wedding-sequel-for-universal/

“My Big Fat Greek Wedding” is getting a sequel, 12 years after the original film became a surprise hit at the box office.

“My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2” is officially in the works from Gold Circle, HBO and Playtone Productions, with Kirk Jones set to direct the sequel for Universal, who will distribute the film domestically and in certain international territories.

Original star Nia Vardalos will return to reprise her role in the sequel, where the revelation of a family secret and an even bigger, fatter wedding brings the Portokalos family together again.

Vardalos also co-wrote the sequel. Other original cast members are also expected to reprise their roles, and as of this summer, John Corbett was among those returning.

Edited by grim22
  • Like 1

Filming in May: http://globalnews.ca/news/1845542/my-big-fat-greek-wedding-2-to-begin-filming-in-toronto-in-may/

Thirteen years after My Big Fat Greek Wedding hit cinemas, cameras will roll in Toronto on the sequel.

Producers of the follow-up to the blockbuster comedy have booked space at the city’s Revival studios from mid-May to the end of June.

Writer and star Nia Vardalos announced last May that a sequel was in the works.

My Big Fat Greek Wedding, set in Chicago but mostly filmed in Toronto, premiered in April 2002. Made on a $5 million budget, it went on to gross a whopping $369 million worldwide.

Vardalos got an Oscar nomination for her screenplay.

Thinking they may release it on Valentine's day next year possibly. That would mitigate a major drop.

This is at least a decade too late. The sequel is likely towards a similar miserable fate as that short-lived spin-off sitcom.

They are probably hoping for a similar word of mouth fueled run as the first movie had. The run is just ridiculous: http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=weekend&id=mybigfatgreekwedding.htm

But I agree, the movie was very much a product of the times and managed to capture the pop culture consciousness in a big way and failed to recreate that effect in the TV show or any future projects by everyone involved.

Apparently it is the highest grossing rom-com of all time as well. 

Rank Title (click to view) Studio Lifetime Gross /Theaters Opening /Theaters Date
1 My Big Fat Greek Wedding IFC $241,438,208 2,016 $597,362 108 4/19/02
2 What Women Want Par. $182,811,707 3,092 $33,614,543 3,012 12/15/00
3 Hitch Sony $179,495,555 3,575 $43,142,214 3,575 2/11/05
4 Pretty Woman BV $178,406,268 1,811 $11,280,591 1,325 3/23/90
5 There's Something About Mary Fox $176,484,651 2,555 $13,740,644 2,186 7/15/98

Edited by grim22

March 25th? This will forever be known as My Big Fat Greek Write-off.

I think they are hoping for a Mamma Mia against TDK kind of performance, although I don't see it happening. I think a slow expansion would help this movie similar to the first one as opposed to going big out of the gate and failing.

• Like 1