Edge of Tomorrow (2014)

109 members have voted

1. 1. Grade It:

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

It could have been better but apparently the director is uncapable. Great Cruise, solid photography, good script, meh supporting roles, poor designs, terrible directing.

Edge of Tomorrow succeeds largely because of smart directing and writing in my opinion. Thanks to Liman's attention to structure and timing, the action never felt dull despite us witnessing what was essentially the same battle for the first hour of the film. Smartly put together, and it looked great too. The lived-in gritty, with a hint of comic-book cool aesthetic was solid. And despite all the attention to intelligently framing the action, I felt Liman never lost sight of his leading pair, providing a couple of decent character beats along the way. As I said in my earlier reviewer, in another filmmakers hands Edge of Tomorrow would have been a grim-dark slog through murky battlefields with tortured souls as our guide. Instead it’s a well-structured and fast moving rollercoaster ride replete with action thrills, solid performances and more than a few good laughs.

• Like 5

Heh, I enjoyed it immensely but rated it B (or 4/5). I have a couple of minor criticisms that I think hold the film back from being its best but it still rates as one of the most enjoyable blockbuster films of the year so far (if not the most enjoyable). 

I've always had trouble with the A-F rating system here. I tend to rate films out of 5 so have adapted accordingly, which is no big deal. But I feel like I enjoyed the film as much if not more than some who are rating this film A, though I see that as the perfect rating reserved for the best of the best. But with many splitting their ratings to A+'s or A-'s etc. perhaps it's I who needs to adapt my rating style a little further. 

Edited by Gazz
  • Like 1

Awesome movie, favorite so far this year.  It's got a perfect mix of action and some nice gallows humor of sorts.  Tom Cruise is so good in this movie, but he's upstaged by Emily Blunt who is just terrific.  All the supporting roles are nicely filled and the 'groundhog day' nature of the story was so entertaining to everyone in the audience.  You'd get laughter each time he'd have to die during training when Rita would pull out the gun.

A-

• Like 3

This is what other popcorn movies should aim to be. Tight action, good leads, some surprisingly funny moments and well-executed drama. All rolled together in a delicious package. Right now duking it out with Captain America for my favorite blockbuster of the year.

WB should be ashamed of themselves for making it look so meh through the trailers.

Edited by C00k13
  • Like 1

Awesome. A little video-gamey at times, but that was expected with the premise. I could have done without the newsreels used as exposition and the mimics could have been a bit better, but all in all, this was a fantastic summer blockbuster.

This should make Blunt a star.

A-

• Like 1

• Community Manager

Care to elaborate, please?

Sure.

Tom Cruise kills the Omega. He gets the Omega's blood on him.

He wakes up in time BEFORE he killed the Omega: before the general put him on the front lines.

The war was won because the Omega is now dead despite the fact that Tom Cruise had yet to kill it. This is a paradox.

We're told that the armies are going through Europe.

Major Tom Cruise goes to the J-Crew where they are preparing to invade France on the beach. No seriously, they are. They're even telling the same stories about how they plan to kill the aliens THEY'VE ALREADY DEFEATED.

• Like 1

Sure.

He wakes up in time BEFORE he killed the Omega: before the general put him on the front lines.

The war was won because the Omega is now dead despite the fact that Tom Cruise had yet to kill it. This is a paradox.

Major Tom Cruise goes to the J-Crew where they are preparing to invade France on the beach. No seriously, they are. They're even telling the same stories about how they plan to kill the aliens THEY'VE ALREADY DEFEATED.

The last speech the general made was for the troops to reclaim the lost land, as the Russian and Chinese are doing without hindrance anymore. So yes they are still moving troops to Europe (lest the Russian and Chinese put claim on the whole western Europe. The similarity to WW2 cannot be avoided here).About Cage/Cruise resetting to the previous wake up moment, with Omega "mysteriously" gone, yes it was a bit jarring when I first saw it. Movie logic I guess - what time travel/time loop story doesn't have the time travel/loop paradox? Like I wrote in the previous post (and since this is out already and you mention it.... spoiler alert and what not), Cage/Cruise is, by the end of the movie, a God. He's now the Omega and can now reset to his own pleasure - until the next blood transfusion, that is. He better be storing a cyanide capsule in his teeth all the time. 

• Like 1

The last speech the general made was for the troops to reclaim the lost land, as the Russian and Chinese are doing without hindrance anymore. So yes they are still moving troops to Europe (lest the Russian and Chinese put claim on the whole western Europe. The similarity to WW2 cannot be avoided here).About Cage/Cruise resetting to the previous wake up moment, with Omega "mysteriously" gone, yes it was a bit jarring when I first saw it. Movie logic I guess - what time travel/time loop story doesn't have the time travel/loop paradox? Like I wrote in the previous post (and since this is out already and you mention it.... spoiler alert and what not), Cage/Cruise is, by the end of the movie, a God. He's now the Omega and can now reset to his own pleasure - until the next blood transfusion, that is. He better be storing a cyanide capsule in his teeth all the time. 

Yeah, it's all a clusterfuck to explain, but I think the answer lies in the fact that now the Omega's blood is in Cage/Cruise.

Sure.

I'm pretty sure a couple of weeks from now someone will come up with a theory that says that the final scene is just Tom Cruise's fever dream just before dying. They have already done this with Gravity last year.

Enjoyed the hell out of this movie though. Highly recommended.

• Like 2

Sure.

The General explained there was an energy surge in Paris which relates to Omega dying.  I'm no expert, but I figure the timeline that Cruise is in that Omega dies as well connect in past and future.  With no resistance they will still send in the invasion force to retake the lands while the Russians and the Chinese pushed from the east with no resistance.

• Like 3

• Community Manager

The General explained there was an energy surge in Paris which relates to Omega dying.  I'm no expert, but I figure the timeline that Cruise is in that Omega dies as well connect in past and future.  With no resistance they will still send in the invasion force to retake the lands while the Russians and the Chinese pushed from the east with no resistance.

Yeah, that's why I said "The war was won because the Omega is now dead despite the fact that Tom Cruise had yet to kill it. This is a paradox." You can have all your theories you want

(and since this is out already and you mention it.... spoiler alert and what not), Cage/Cruise is, by the end of the movie, a God. He's now the Omega and can now reset to his own pleasure - until the next blood transfusion, that is. He better be storing a cyanide capsule in his teeth all the time.

You don't need to spoiler proof in the Review Our Movie Board.;)

Damn, wow this was the surprise movie of the year so far for me. Too tired to write a lot, but great movie and I really, really liked it. Will definitely see it again and hope it does well enough at the box office because it deserves it.A-

Edited by FTF
  • Like 2

It's great that it's a complete self contained film that doesn't set up a sequel. However, I wouldn't mind a prequel but I can't decide on the title. "Angel of Verdun"or"Full Metal Bitch"

• Like 1

Yeah, that's why I said "The war was won because the Omega is now dead despite the fact that Tom Cruise had yet to kill it. This is a paradox." You can have all your theories you want

I was confused about this at first, but my brother told me that since Cruise destroys the Omega before being injected with the Alpha's blood, the Omega knows about it's own demise when the timeline resets and simply gives up, allowing the human armies to move in without resistance.