Olive

Official Weekend Estimates: Maleficent - 70M, X-Men - 32.6M, A Million Ways - 17.1M, Godzilla - 12.2M

It depends on where you live here, but I know some theaters around my area can have shows as early as 10am. 

movie theaters here (eastern US) start showings at around 10am. matinee is movies til 5. I'm guessing these numbers are projections for all of matinee? 2.6m off 10am showings is pretty crazy I think.

To clarify for everyone.  They represented the total grosses up to the point in time that I posted them.  

OK to clarify a couple points

The data that has been posted , which shouldn't be (I have known over the years raw data to appear on other site where in a nutshell listing the data was shut down), is not the total gross up until that point in time it is a sample of theatres.

Also included in that sample is a sample of the theatres grosses that played Thu night/midnight , hence a higher than usual number at 10am (fyi you would fall of your chair if you saw say TA at 10am first friday, the addition of this data has to be taken into account as it effect final outcomes)

X films sample data at say 11am,2pm,5pm,7pm is not necessarily the same as films Y Z you might be comparing, so may factor come into it,

like how big is the sample vs  what is the total number of theatres playing (is it 3100 or 4000), is school out, isn't it, some other holiday, weather the list goes on.

When you try and factor in some comp films to try and help make heads or tails of raw sample the films used could be a different mix to what you are using for the actual results on what I think Fri, weekend, final cume etc is going to do.

Like you could compare a film that could do 30m on friday with one that does 50m, why because those titles may be seen to have similar trends better matinees , stronger /weaker evening, plays better in certain markets/regions etc etc so you are ultimately looking at what does TWS 3pm sample BO % to total day vs whatever

Lets say you looked at TWS OD 2pm compared to Thor OD 2pm if you had assumed the same % of business you would have projected TWS to do 43m for the day it did 37, now using Thor as example later in the day there was closer correlation between the two films say you looked at 7pm and based TWS on what Thor had done you would have now projected 37m. so in this case Thor could have been used as a comparion in the evening but not in daytime.

• Like 39
  • Thanks 1

The data that has been posted , which shouldn't be (I have known over the years raw data to appear on other site where in a nutshell listing the data was shut down), is not the total gross up until that point in time it is a sample of theatres.

Also included in that sample is a sample of the theatres grosses that played Thu night/midnight , hence a higher than usual number at 10am (fyi you would fall of your chair if you saw say TA at 10am first friday, the addition of this data has to be taken into account as it effect final outcomes)

X films sample data at say 11am,2pm,5pm,7pm is not necessarily the same as films Y Z you might be comparing, so may factor come into it,

like how big is the sample vs  what is the total number of theatres playing (is it 3100 or 4000), is school out, isn't it, some other holiday, weather the list goes on.

When you try and factor in some comp films to try and help make heads or tails of raw sample the films used could be a different mix to what you are using for the actual results on what I think Fri, weekend, final cume etc is going to do.

Like you could compare a film that could do 30m on friday with one that does 50m, why because those titles may be seen to have similar trends better matinees , stronger /weaker evening, plays better in certain markets/regions etc etc so you are ultimately looking at what does TWS 3pm sample BO % to total day vs whatever

Lets say you looked at TWS OD 2pm compared to Thor OD 2pm if you had assumed the same % of business you would have projected TWS to do 43m for the day it did 37, now using Thor as example later in the day there was closer correlation between the two films say you looked at 7pm and based TWS on what Thor had done you would have now projected 37m. so in this case Thor could have been used as a comparion in the evening but not in daytime.

OH SHIT, RTH STRIKES BACK, IN BLACK SUIT FORM

Posted Image

• Like 15

OK to clarify a couple points The data that has been posted , which shouldn't be (I have known over the years raw data to appear on other site where in a nutshell listing the data was shut down), is not the total gross up until that point in time it is a sample of theatres.Also included in that sample is a sample of the theatres grosses that played Thu night/midnight , hence a higher than usual number at 10am (fyi you would fall of your chair if you saw say TA at 10am first friday, the addition of this data has to be taken into account as it effect final outcomes) X films sample data at say 11am,2pm,5pm,7pm is not necessarily the same as films Y Z you might be comparing, so may factor come into it,like how big is the sample vs  what is the total number of theatres playing (is it 3100 or 4000), is school out, isn't it, some other holiday, weather the list goes on. When you try and factor in some comp films to try and help make heads or tails of raw sample the films used could be a different mix to what you are using for the actual results on what I think Fri, weekend, final cume etc is going to do.Like you could compare a film that could do 30m on friday with one that does 50m, why because those titles may be seen to have similar trends better matinees , stronger /weaker evening, plays better in certain markets/regions etc etc so you are ultimately looking at what does TWS 3pm sample BO % to total day vs whatever Lets say you looked at TWS OD 2pm compared to Thor OD 2pm if you had assumed the same % of business you would have projected TWS to do 43m for the day it did 37, now using Thor as example later in the day there was closer correlation between the two films say you looked at 7pm and based TWS on what Thor had done you would have now projected 37m. so in this case Thor could have been used as a comparion in the evening but not in daytime.

Like first, read later.
  • Like 11

Also included in that sample is a sample of the theatres grosses that played Thu night/midnight , hence a higher than usual number at 10am (fyi you would fall of your chair if you saw say TA at 10am first friday, the addition of this data has to be taken into account as it effect final outcomes)...

Tell em. 

Posted Image

• Like 11

Posted Image

• Like 7

Posted Image

• Like 18

Like a boss.

Posted Image

• Like 13