Olive

Official Weekend Estimates: Maleficent - 70M, X-Men - 32.6M, A Million Ways - 17.1M, Godzilla - 12.2M

So these numbers mean Maleficent is currently at 2.64m and will at least double on the West cost to take it to 5.28m.  Matinees are about 1/4 of the total day, so that brings the Friday number to 21.12m.  Saturday will be 28.5m with a bump of 35% and Sunday comes in at 20m with a 30% decrease.  So a final weekend number of 69.62m.

Does that sound about right?

:ph34r:

I really have no clue

Hmm, maybe I did know more than I thought

not really, but it is pretty interesting how the numbers worked out

:)

Edited by Punishment

Seriously? I kinda envy the fact that you can pretty much enjoy anything...

I usually enjoy everything I see in some way. It's actually pretty rare that I dislike a film outright.

Even stuff I criticize I often have fun viewing.

Edited by DamienRoc

Maleficent will probably dip below 70m with actuals but still a really good opening IMO. I expect it to hold well for the next couple weeks as it will enjoy a marketplace largely devoid of any other family friendly options. 200m is definitely gonna be a challenge but I can easily see it happening with more and more kids getting out of school.

DOFP needs to stabilize after this weekend. It still has a chance to beat The Last Stand so just needs to hold better in the coming weeks.

A Million Ways.....lame opening. Kinda expected considering the mediocre reviews and very little excitement leading up to its release. Still thought it would have little trouble clearing 20m. Guess MacFarlane should stick to voice work.

Edited by blackspider
  • Like 1

Shit OW for EoT OS. The bombage begins.

From the looks of it, there is going to be a EoT butchering here in the US next week too...don't know how much you blame the audience when there has been barely any marketing/advertisements for it...

I loved Cap 3. My only gripes with it was the shaky cam. Other than that, it exceeded my expectations. I would have gone to see it a forth time, but I've just been too busy. Maybe they'll have a double feature with Guardians.

How was BVS?
  • Like 2

Regarding EoT...given the crappy marketing, is the consensus still that keeping the original title might have hurt it more than it's hurting right now? All You Need is Kill at least sounds intriguing.

Edited by reddevil18
  • Like 1

Maleficent will probably dip below 70m with actuals but still a really good opening IMO. I expect it to hold well for the next couple weeks as it will enjoy a marketplace largely devoid of any other family friendly options. 200m is definitely gonna be a challenge but I can easily see it happening with more and more kids getting out of school.

TFIOS opens this weekend. Probably as close to direct competition for the female demo as possible. The family audience has to wait an extra week for HTTYD2 to release.

• Like 1

Regarding EoT...given the crappy marketing, is the consensus still that keeping the original title might have hurt it more than it's hurting right now? All You Need is Kill at least sounds intriguing.

Also, maybe the original March release would have been better :( Damn you 302 :angry:

• Like 1

It sounds better than the amalgamation of Edge of Night and Search for Tomorrow.

If y'all didn't know those were soap operas that ran from the 50's to the 80's.

• Like 2

TFIOS opens this weekend. Probably as close to direct competition for the female demo as possible. The family audience has to wait an extra week for HTTYD2 to release.

Fair point. I'm interested in seeing the gender breakdown for Maleficent this weekend.

What was the last Cruise film which bombed? His movies usually make their money back and then some so EoT may not be a smash hit but most likely not a bomb either...

Well, its domestic prospects are similar to his last movie, Oblivion. Depending on China and Japan, it might do similar OS as well.

I loved Cap 3. My only gripes with it was the shaky cam. Other than that, it exceeded my expectations. I would have gone to see it a forth time, but I've just been too busy. Maybe they'll have a double feature with Guardians.

Yes me too! I saw it a fourth time yesterday. I could absolutely see it again and again.

• Like 1