Olive

Official Weekend Estimates: Maleficent - 70M, X-Men - 32.6M, A Million Ways - 17.1M, Godzilla - 12.2M

I think this might be the Summer where since there is no clear front runner, every movie has fairly large openings (70-90m range) but massive drops because everyone moves onto the next thing the next weekend.

I think TF4 is the clear front-runner, with HTTYD right there near it.

That said...I wouldn't be surprised with a 90 million opening for both.  :lol:

Edited by reddevil18

I think this might be the Summer where since there is no clear front runner, every movie has fairly large openings (70-90m range) but massive drops because everyone moves onto the next thing the next weekend.

I won't be surprised if HTTYD2 is the only tentpole this summer that manages to have good legs.

Next weekend people will move to The Fault in Our Stars and leave the awesome EoT to die. Fuck people.

• Like 2

I don't think it'll be gigantic but it will do well. China will give it big numbers.

It's gonna be a crowded period in China, but it should still do well.

Edited by reddevil18

I don't think it'll be gigantic but it will do well. China will give it big numbers.

it might have a good opening in Japan but the WOM there will be toxic. Japanese people won't be pleased that

their icon has a small cameo and you follow a bland, emotionless guy walking around for two hours primarily.

Edited by Telemachos

I can't believe people actually think Godzilla will do well in Japan, once they see it they are going to be pissed

I don't think it'll be huge, but something around $30m seems a good target.

• Like 1

I think TF4 is the clear front-runner, with HTTYD right there near it.

That said...I wouldn't be surprised with a 90 million opening for both.  :lol:

TF4 is going to suffer from TASM syndrome.

HTTYD2 has a distinct advantage in being the only real family entertainment for the Summer, a sequel to a very well-received movie, and the good reviews so far.

TF4 is going to suffer from TASM syndrome.

HTTYD2 has a distinct advantage in being the only real family entertainment for the Summer, a sequel to a very well-received movie, and the good reviews so far.

It also come out the same weekend as 22 Jump Street another anticipated sequel tracking for a 50+ opening weekend.

We could have another Hangover 2 / Kung Fu Panda 2 situation, only not as bad.

Next weekend people will move to The Fault in Our Stars and leave the awesome EoT to die. Fuck people.

That's what happens when there is poor marketing for a movie, Tom Cruise being on a mediocre streak (EoT a new exception but GA won't know), and when the female audience is ignored for a month.

• Like 1

• Founder / Operator

part of that is because Spider-Man was playing in 800 more theaters than AOTC For what ever reason

Lucas had significant restrictions on which theaters could play TPM and AOTC.

• Founder / Operator

Why y'all pitting RTH vs Spatula?

What the fucking fuck?

One, that is super rude.

Two, that is extra as hell.

Y'all should thankful and nice that they giving you numbers.

Instead, y'all act as extra as fuck.

They shouldn't even have to explain how they got them. The numbers should speak for themselves.

I'm gonna drag, y'all. One day.

Posted Image

• Like 6

It also come out the same weekend as 22 Jump Street another anticipated sequel tracking for a 50+ opening weekend.

We could have another Hangover 2 / Kung Fu Panda 2 situation, only not as bad.

True, except this time I would reverse the opening weekends.

• Like 3