Olive

Official Weekend Estimates: Maleficent - 70M, X-Men - 32.6M, A Million Ways - 17.1M, Godzilla - 12.2M

Three films that came out in April perhaps have the box office stories of the year so far.  Captain America 2, Heaven is For Real and The Other Woman.  All very successful and all exceeded expectations.

Legends of Oz: Dorothy's Return. It outgrossed Oogieloves within 2 days.

• Like 1

• Founder / Operator

CinemaScore is so dodgy. In Maleficent's case, I'm kinda ignoring it with other signs pointing to more SWATH-like WOM. Won't be surprised if Jolie fans drove that "A" score.

• Like 6

Yeah The Lego Movie is easily more of a BO story than The Other Woman, and God's Not Dead is more of a story than Heaven Is for Real.

Why would God be more of a story than Heaven?

Two things to consider: the original X-Men had a noticeably worse 57% drop, and X2 was at the time the fourth biggest opener in history. The 53% drop might look bad compared to Spider-Man's 37% hold a year earlier, but that film was a phenomenon that X2 could never have been. 

different calenders. x1 was in summer with strong weekdays.

x2 in may.

if you look at ow + mon to thu + 2nd weekend

x1 : 54 + 21 + 23 (-57%)

x2 : 85 + 21 + 40 (-53%)

x1's mon to thu is super strong because of summer. so the 57% drop. can't be compared to x2's 53% in may.

Edited by a2k

I'm not invested in it one way or the other but not many here liked it and apparently the score from viewers is dropping hard on Rotten Tomatoes.

Neither am I, I just think it's gonna do well in the coming weeks. It will be the go to choice for families for the next two weeks until HTYD 2 comes out. 200m looks doable IMO.

• Like 1

• Founder / Operator

Neither am I, I just think it's gonna do well in the coming weeks. It will be the go to choice for families for the next two weeks until HTYD 2 comes out. 200m looks doable IMO.

I even think it should worry (because, you know, movies can "worry" :P) about 22JS almost as much as Dragon. Dat Tatum appeal.

I even think it should worry (because, you know, movies can "worry" :P) about 22JS almost as much as Dragon. Dat Tatum appeal.

Another reason X-Men Apocalypse will do a billion.  ;)

• Like 1

Maleficent's flixster rating is pretty low, but I don't think it's as weak as Snow White's was on opening weekend; Alice and Oz are both under 60% as well. Maleficent's second weekend drop is going to depend on if Fault sucks up all the female audience.

• Like 1

Another reason X-Men Apocalypse will do a billion.  ;)

Only if he attempts the cajun accent. I'll channel my inner Shay and go see it a dozen times if he does

• Like 6

Only if he attempts the cajun accent. I'll channel my inner Shay and go see it a dozen times if he does

When Shawn does his 2016 "Biggest summer movies" articles, the one for Apocalypse will read "Dat Tatum". The end.

Edited by reddevil18
  • Like 1

Maleficent DOM projections of OD

Now You See Me: 284M

Oz, the Great and Powerful: 236M

Jack the Giant Slayer: 205M

Alice in Wonderland: 199M

Snow White and the Huntsman: 184M

After Earth: 149M

For the sake of my sanity and BSG, I hope it follows After Earth

• Like 3

Wait...there are big Maleficent fans? :ph34r:

There are huge Maleficent fans... she is Disney's iconic villain.

And that's why I disagree with Tele that there is good WOM among Malefcent fans... they hate what they did with her.

I do think that like Frozen... this forum is a bad place to judge WOM... wrong audience.

It won't break out but I think it will do well. 

Maleficent DOM projections of OD

Now You See Me: 284M

Oz, the Great and Powerful: 236M

Jack the Giant Slayer: 205M

Alice in Wonderland: 199M

Snow White and the Huntsman: 184M

After Earth: 149M

For the sake of my sanity and BSG, I hope it follows After Earth

Same here  :ph34r:

• Like 1

Disappointed to see DOFP not doing good at the box office. People should go see this movie. Great movie. Rebooted the X-Men series, and Brian Singer tried to make amends to as many wrongs as he could. 

Just the cameos of Cylcops, Jean Grey, and Rogue brought huge cheers at my screening! Glad they rectified the stupid deaths in Last Stand.

Disappointed to see DOFP not doing good at the box office. 

Well, let's keep perspective. It's not showing good legs, but its overall numbers are still good.

Edited by reddevil18
  • Like 1