#ED

Wknd Est: TLM2 - 30M, 22JS - 29M, HTTYD - 25.3M, JB - 13.5, [DOFP - 6.2M]

Yeah, it's appealing to a demo that's been generally underserved this summer in families. And for whatever reason Dragon doesn't seem to be their cup of tea

And HTTYD2 is ten times the movie Maleficent will ever be, for shame.

Edited by Fancyarcher

Yeah, it's appealing to a demo that's been generally underserved this summer in families. And for whatever reason Dragon doesn't seem to be their cup of tea

Dat anti Gerard Butler effect.

And HTTYD2 is ten times the movie Maleficent will ever be, for shame.

That's a matter of taste though. If kids like Maleficent and parents feel good about taking their kids to see it, then it's satisfying its audience

• Like 4

That's a matter of taste though. If kids like Maleficent and parents feel good about taking their kids to see it, then it's satisfying its audience

Audiences need better taste.  <_<

I'd say Maleficent had better marketing than Dragon 2 as well based on what I saw for both.

Let's be honest guys, Dragon's marketing didn't make it seem like it was going to be an event at all.

• Like 1

oh c'mon, be fair...

...I'm pretty sure it's like 80% Jay Baruchel's voice that's the fault. can't they just say Hiccup hit puberty and change the actor?

Look, all I'm saying is that Olympus Has Fallen was too successful so the Box Office gods decided to taketh away from the sequel

Doesn't mean I don't have the right to trash it though. Besides kids are very young, once they grow up their opinion on certain films may change.

Edited by Fancyarcher
  • Like 2

LOCKE, yo. UNDER THE SKIN. CHEF. Look beyond the tentpoles.

You also have to remember we all don't live in NY & LA. Not everyone has access to those movies like you do. In Boerne I had the Bijou I could go to for my indies. Here in Corpus, we ain't got shit.
  • Like 1

Doesn't mean I don't have the right to trash it though. Besides kids are very young, once they grow up their opinion on certain films may change.

Of course, but that's not really pertinent. Not everything is made specifically to appeal to your sensibilities. If it's satisfying its audience at present then I don't see any reason to be upset about its success. We all liked all sorts of shit as kids

• Like 2

I will say I think the Disney brand name is going a long way in helping Maleficent's legs. With Frozen I think Disney has regained their footing as the premier studio for families. I think just the appeal of the brand name right now alone is causing a lot of families to go pick Maleficent over Dragon as their family outing.

Of course, but that's not really pertinent. Not everything is made specifically to appeal to your sensibilities. If it's satisfying its audience at present then I don't see any reason to be upset about its success. We all liked all sorts of shit as kids

I'm not upset by its success, I'm upset by HTTYD 2's numbers.

With a 165 minutes runtime, I honestly expected a bigger final battle. So 130 minutes are filled with what exactly? 

They actually put the big battle in the opening hour to surprise everyone. Then its 75 minutes of Transformers dancing, poetry readings, and trivia nights.

• Like 3

SHREK is getting more dated by the minute. Dreamworks always goes with topical pop-culture references, which wear out easily.

I think it worked pretty well for Shrek and Shrek 2, and Madagascar. Shark Tale and others it felt more forced. Like in Shrek 2 when Donkey says "come on Shrek, we dont wanna hit traffic" and "the ride was awful, there was no in flight movie or nothing", and in Shrek when he said "you need a tic tac or something". Thats VERY clever to me, Shrek put in the pop culture references and "didnt exist yet" references very well.What was the last DW movie you saw? I feel like theyve sorta moved away from pop culture is and playing more to the physical and cartoony comedy ala Monsters V Aliens, Peabody, Home, Turbo etc. didnt notice much pop culture or cleverness in those, just straightforward jokes. Edited by Jandrew
  • Like 1