CJohn

Predator | 14th September, 2018 | Shane Black to Co-Write and Direct

That's why jumping the gun after a few good or bad reviews is not a good idea. Even now I'm not jumping to conclusions. I want to see where it lands when it has 150 reviews. 

Also the early reviews were mixed leaning positive, that never guarantees a great score. I've seen even critics who are huge Shane Black fans say that the film is disappointing. 

Edited by Zakiyyah6

3 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

That's why jumping the gun after a few good or bad reviews is not a good idea. Even now I'm not jumping to conclusions. I want to see where it lands when it has 150 reviews. 

Also the early reviews were mixed leaning positive, that never guarantees a great score. I've seen even critics who are huge Shane Black fans say that the film is disappointing. 

I felt like the early ones were mixed leaning somewhat negative. The only positive thing they said was 'It was fun' which isn't a great thing for staying fresh on RT.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, grim22 said:

I felt like the early ones were mixed leaning somewhat negative. The only positive thing they said was 'It was fun' which isn't a great thing for staying fresh on RT.

When I ponder it, I think you might actually be right. The early reviews seemed to be straining to find enough things to like. 

2 hours ago, grim22 said:

I keep saying, that, in the mind of a critic, fun is a code word but no one believes me.

• Like 1

as someone who was bored out of his mind by IM3, consider it the worst MCU movie (yes, worse than TDW) and still doesn't get the praise heaped on it for Shane Black-isms (whatever that means), I'm not sad to see Predator getting turd reviews. 

Edited by Valonqar

17 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

as someone who was bored out of his mind by IM3, consider it the worst MCU movie (yes, worse than TDW) and still doesn't get the praise heaped on it for Shane Black-isms (whatever that means), I'm not sad to see Predator getting turd reviews. 

I really dislike IM3 aswell, I actually think its one of the worst movies I ever saw in the cinema. Its also the reason why Im really unsure if The Predator is going to be a good movie. I like the trailers, but IM3 trailers were also good. Infact, I dont particularly like any of the movies of Shane Black (that Ive seen). But maybe that changes with The Predator, I like what Ive seen so far.

Just came from watching this since its opening day where Im from.

Anddddd it wasnt very good for me.

The comedy was the best part of the movie IMO. Gave the crowd a good laugh a couple of times.

The action was just too dark or bland in terms of choreography/editing. Though theres one nice moment of pure terror involving the "Ultimate Predator" in the pine forest. 

Honestly, theres a lack of suspense to the Predators. Kinda takes away the gravitas when you see a Predator running on foot like he was in a 100 meter dash. 

Some moments out of left field too like a certain plot point with a Predator Hound and the ending sequence. 

Cast is fun to watch though...even if it disposes of some of them as if they were extras. 🤔

And if the comedy was the best part...then I guess the VFX was the worst part for me. The climax fell flat especially because of this, IMO. 

5/6 out of 10.

(For me, Predator would be a 9, Predators a 7)

Edit: Apparently, the forest battle at night (my favorite action beat of the whole movie) was only added in the reshoots. :o

Edited by kaijukurt
  • Thanks 1

From director Shane Black, the guy who starred in the original “Predator” while he started screenwriting (and long before he went into directing), is the first guy who attempts to rejuvenate a franchise that never had a chance to establish its own identity by delivering... a comedy??

FULL REVIEW: http://www.rendyreviews.com/movies/the-predator-review

• Like 1

Look, "Predator" has always been a hard "R" film so it hasn't really broken the box office throughout it's history.  With that said, here are the adjusted numbers for the Franchise.  The "Nun" had a strong weekend so that could affect "Predator" this weekend.  I'm going to track it with "Covenant" last year but it's probably going to bring in less numbers.  Will it even make more than "Predators" from 8 years ago?

1 Predator Fox $141,623,700 $59,735,548 6/12/87
2 Alien Vs. Predator Fox $119,841,600 $80,282,231 8/13/04
3 Predator 2 Fox $67,211,700 $30,669,413 11/21/90
4 Predators Fox $62,520,400 $52,000,688 7/9/10
5 Aliens Vs. Predator - Requiem Fox $54,911,100 $41,797,066

12/25/07

5 Alien: Covenant Fox $74,262,031 3,772 $36,160,621 3,761 5/19/17

Edited by filmscholar