CJohn

Predator | 14th September, 2018 | Shane Black to Co-Write and Direct

1 minute ago, Crainy said:

Nova just said that people should have the right to know criminals and their committed crimes, not just sex offenses. My example was directed at that, not the topic at hand, to show the implications of such a system.

I see. Thanks for clarifying though point still stands that opinions are much stronger about sex than anything else. 

2 hours ago, Crainy said:

If everyone suddenly has the right to know about all crimes anyone has committed right out of the gate, no matter how minor or major, rehabilitation and betterment would be impossible, and in that case you might aswell leave all criminals in prison forever.

Criminal conviction tend to be public domain, with people having the rights and relatively easy access to that information, Steven Wilder was registered in a couple of place (if you use those offender search engine he pop-up), it was even on is wikipedia page since 2015.

If an actor does not want to work with a sex offender they can get an account on those service and look up everyone, the employer cannot do it legally but the co-worker can.

Edited by Barnack

1 minute ago, Barnack said:

Criminal conviction tend to be public domain, with people having the rights and relatively easy access to that information, Steven Wilder was registered in a couple of place (if you use those offender search engine he pop-up), it was even on is wikipedia page since 2015.

If an actor does not work with a sex offender than can get an account on those service and look up everyone, the employer cannot do it legally but the co-worker can.

Yeah I know, but theres a big difference between having that information available and having it be mandatory to inform your workers of that information.

55 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Black shouldn't have cast that guy especially in this climate.

That the mistake of projecting past decision with current hindsight, #metoo started in 2006 but became a big Hollywood talk in October 2017, principal photography of Predator ended june 2017.

Blake had casting him in multipe movies without any issues.

54 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Like, couldn't they make a statement that they regretted that the cast member didn't know about the offense and that they did everything in their power to make it right once it was known to them? End of story

They did.

Edited by Barnack

37 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

I don't understand why sex offenders are released from prison in the first place and why they are not shot on sight for their crimes.

More seriously society should at least let them choose Mechanical/Physical castration over removing the chance to work outside their own home or the other very limited OK place of employment.

4 minutes ago, Barnack said:

That the mistake of projecting past decision with current hindsight, #metoo started in 2006 but became a big Hollywood talk in October 2017, principal photography of Predator ended june 2017.

Blake had casting him in multipe movies without any issues.

They did.

I see. So if Fox made a statement why isn't press tour back on track with reporters being asked not to bother the cast with questions about that guy? It's a marketing mess anyway you slice it. I'm more interested about how could a studio with well-oiled PR machine let this escalate beyond control especially since they fixed the problem off screen?

Considering Munn feels so strongly about being informed about the past offenses of her co-workers, she would have to do her independent research on future roles on movies she take on those co-stars. This would seem like a rather lengthy and inconvenient approach though because most movies these days have hundreds if not thousands of co-workers not just co-stars but people involved behind the camera and technical staff. I would like to see how other actors / actresses address this type of thing for future roles they take. Who know this new dynamic triggered by her might end up being replicated in the industry as a standard practice for the studios to perform on all their cast members. 

26 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

I see. So if Fox made a statement why isn't press tour back on track with reporters being asked not to bother the cast with questions about that guy? It's a marketing mess anyway you slice it. I'm more interested about how could a studio with well-oiled PR machine let this escalate beyond control especially since they fixed the problem off screen?

That was Fox statement:

"Our studio was not aware of Mr. Striegel's background when he was hired," said a 20th Century Fox spokesperson in a statement to The Hollywood Reporter. "Several weeks ago, when the studio learned the details, his one scene in the film was removed within 24 hours. We were not aware of his background during the casting process due to legal limitations that impede studios from running background checks on actors."

How did it got to the press in the first place, I am unsure, it was from the LA Tymes that broke it:

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/movies/la-et-mn-the-predator-shane-black-steven-wilder-striegel-20180906-story.html

How did they heard any of it ? Who contacted them ? Is it the director to explain itself, fearing it would broke out ? The studio ?

I guess once the movie release and a cast member do not show up, people would have started to look for reason's and would have find it (considering it was on is wikipedia page).

1 hour ago, dX airdry zid said:

I always worry about the innocent having dangerous potential against the guilty.  I feel sometimes the guilty wander to guilt while the innocent groom their nails.

At the end of the day, all I am really getting at is that the term "sex-offender" is a dangerous generalization and that alot of people are overly zealous to dehumanize people labeled as such.

Edited by Crainy
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Crainy said:

At the end of the day, all I am really getting at is that the term "sex-offender" is a dangerous generalization and that alot of people are overly zealous to dehumanize people labeled as such.

I think right now someone a la Christian Picciolini or Joey Diaz would be easier to handle for people in a movie that someone with the smallest sexual offense in is past.

Not sure if it is society going to hard about sex-offender or a certain embellishment of organized crime or easier to show that you changed when you were a violent gangster, not being a violent gangster or neo-nazy anymore and being a family men is a very visible change, not being a creep predator is not something that is visible, it is not like they would be doing it in the open if it was still going on.

6 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

They say there is no such thing as bad publicity... Predator really wants to test that theory.

:jeb!:

Yep, instead of all agreeing "yep we had a problem but its sorted now...lets talk about the movie", we now have a situation where 3 people have probably ended their careers and the production is going to lose 10's of millions of dollars.

Good job everybody!

Edited by AndyK

I just watched Olivia Munn having to do press at #TIFF with Hollywood reporter on her own. The rest of the cast won’t go with her.

the director issued an apology to the media but won’t speak to her.

Watch THR’s interview, it’s actually really sad.

The fact is people have the right to know if they’re working with a convicted peadophile. 

She did and is still doing the right thing.

Fuck this film, the director and the rest of the cast. I’m not seeing it now. 

• Like 4