CJohn

Weekend Estimates | TF4 - 100M (Paramount sticking to 100M for the Wknd Est)| More Numbers on Page 1

Goddamn, I get max. four trailers and a Subway ad.

Obviously the $14.50 I pay for a ticket isn't enough to avoid sitting through a half hour of ads and trailers.  I've seen the trailer for Earth to Echo THREE times - that's some kind of cruel and unusual punishment.

• Like 1

Think Like a Man Too is sinking faster than the Titanic :). They believed the press clippings, and ignored the fact that April is a dumping ground for non competitive straight-to-video level competition. Cap 2 had "700 Club" and "Wild Kingdom" as fearsome competitors and cleaned up.So they moved to June, and welcome to the JUNGLE, kids :). Suddenly theres competition for that non-niche general audience. Its looking to barely crack 70M. Stick to late autumn and Jan-April, where credible competition can be safely avoided.

Edited by OdinSon2k14
  • Like 2

That comment is so unfair. Great movies also did well in Asian markets. They just love Blockbusters just like you Americans.The last time I checked, ROTF made half of it's WW gross in the US. Stop blaming the world when you're just as guilty.For the record, EOT has made more money than TASM2 in SK and made very decent money in China, maybe you Americans should take the note.

It's totally fair considering Asians are driving the business right now in terms of interest. The fact it was premiered in China & had that kind of opening validates my theory.
  • Like 2

The China # is truly mind-boggling. The trend of US becoming second rate when it comes to these blockbuster premieres should only accelerate. Shame really...

Not exactly though. Transformers already peaked in North America five years ago. It's a declining franchise with audiences here. Even with a $100m opening, it's headed for around $250m which is $100m less than TF3 and $150m less than TF2. You still have movies like Avengers that explode and open to crazy numbers in the domestic market. That's because they haven't worn out their welcome yet with the domestic audience.

• Like 2

Gravity will have grossed more than all summer films of 2014. That's pretty effing crazy.

I am still not sure if TF4 will pass LEGO Movie, which is also pretty crazy.

• Like 1

Ummmm no that doesn't mean that, 100m for a summer tentpole that will be outgrossed significantly overseas. Not impressed domestically.

Overseas accounted for billions of people whereas domestic only account for like $300 -330M of people between the US and Cnadada.

The more a country became richer, the bigger the number of its people have access to an increasing number of theaters.

Quite frankly for a country of over a billion people, China, per capita is nowhere near the US in terms of saturation.  And when in a century or so, Africa really take off, while India will be at today's China level, then the center of gravity to funnel US movie will change even more because the western world is saturated, has less people and won't increase as rapidely.

• Like 2

Just got back from Transformers 4. I actually kinda enjoyed it. I knew the movie wasn't going to be any good after getting shredded by critics, but I still wanted to see this glorious monstrosity.  It wasn't a good film by any means, but I enjoyed it for what it was. One of those guilty pleasure movies you go watch when you have nothing else to do. Obviously, If you are going to go see it, I'd say see it at matinee price in 2d. It'll save you some money, there's really no point seeing this movie in 3D unless you want the full IMAX 3D. Try and save money by seeing it at matinee price. It's not a movie I'd recommend that you HAVE to see, but if you want to turn your brain off for 5 hours, go and see this movie. It's a long movie for sure, so be prepared for that.

I'd give it a C/C-

• Like 2

TF4 did more in one day than Pacific Shit on his OW. And it will do more than Pacific Shit did in total in just 3 days. 

And?

34 movies have made more in one day than Pacific RIm did on it's opening weekend.  25 movies have made more than Pacific Rim's total domestic gross in just three days.  Don't act like this is just a Transformers thing.  Hell, The Avengers' SECOND weekend was greater than Pacific Rim's domestic total!!!!

You think that bothers me?  

Nope.

And?

34 movies have made more in one day than Pacific RIm did on it's opening weekend.  25 movies have made more than Pacific Rim's total domestic gross in just three days.  Don't act like this is just a Transformers thing.  Hell, The Avengers' SECOND weekend was greater than Pacific Rim's domestic total!!!!

You think that bothers me?  

Nope.

It was just a comment. You are having your sequel anyway. Hell, I hated the first and I will likely see the 2nd on the big screen anyway.