MovieGuyKyle17

Early Wed Numbers: Tammy 6.18 (incl 1.3 previews), Trans4 7.7, DUFE: 2.8 ETE 2.6...pg 21

I agree, but nobody is gonna offer those roles to a fat actress, sadly. In fact, Erin Brockovich was supposed to have men lusting after her, which she used it to her advantage, but studio executives would never think (in their myopic lil brains) that an overweight person is sexually attractive to anybody. Another thing, funny how nobody complained when Angelina plays the same badass action chick in all her pre-Maleficent hits, and nobody complained when Julia Roberts played the same wide-eyed, toothy gal in all of her big smashes, and nobody complains when actresses play the same ole sexpot, but MM does the same ole schtick, and it's disgusting, sloppy, tired, whatever.

And that's why I really applaud Sandra Bullock. She isn't stuck playing the same roles over and over again. She switches between drama, comedy, romantic movies, action ones and all these types. Not to mention they're good flicks. She was HILARIOUS in The Heat, btw. JLaw definitely pulls the same cards. I wanna see her do some straight comedy films since she's usually given these artsy-oscar bait films.
  • Like 1

And that's why I really applaud Sandra Bullock. She isn't stuck playing the same roles over and over again. She switches between drama, comedy, romantic movies, action ones and all these types. Not to mention they're good flicks. She was HILARIOUS in The Heat, btw. JLaw definitely pulls the same cards. I wanna see her do some straight comedy films since she's usually given these artsy-oscar bait films.

Get Jennifer Lawrence in a girl comedy with Emma Stone, Anna Kendrick, and Shailene Woodley. That should do the trick.

Edited by Jay Beezy
  • Like 1

Maybe THAT explains why Relativity put their name above the title like a Disney movie? It's weird seeing anyone besides Disney/DreamWorks doing it...

When I saw the poster for it, I thought it was a disney movie. It looks just like a poster disney would release.

• Like 1

I feel The Blind Side is overly picked on cause of its massive success and awards attention. Sure it maybe didn't "deserve" all that, but it's far from a bad movie. Had it made like 100m and not gotten all those Oscar noms I think most of the hate it gets wouldn't be there.

I feel the same way about Titanic. Had it made its original opening date and been the big July 4th blockbuster in Summer 1997, it still would've been huge but maybe more $400 million huge, and just won Oscars in the technical categories, for Cameron's direction, but the smaller movies would've had room to build up campaigns as Oscar faves. It would've been the better than average summer flick rather than than the overrated Oscar winner that dominated music and TV specials and everything for months.

Melissa McCarthy, on SNL they do have writers, but people with comedy backgrounds especially get to put their own stamp on things. And she does a lot of loud/abrasive types in multiple sketches whenever she's on. She started in improv where people who have a weird/quirky/loudmouth schtick thrive and nuanced acting, not so much. Maybe Hollywood doesn't mind pigeonholing her, but maybe she also gravitates toward playing loud, unfashionable weirdos onscreen. People want her to be the one who proves that larger women can be vulnerable and desirable and play a fashion editor in a rom-com, be the girly girl, etc., and it would be nice if Hollywood opened its mind a bit (or a lot), but maybe that's not McCarthy's ultimate comfort zone as a performer. At this point, she probably has the clout to get a comedy made where she was playing someone a little less over the top, a fish out of water, maybe, but still fairly "normal" and funny, and I doubt the studio would've completely balked at the idea. There's a range between "The Heat" and "totally depressing awards bait drama".

Edited by BoxOfficeChica
  • Like 2

Get Jennifer Lawrence in a girl comedy with Emma Stone, Anna Kendrick, and Shailene Woodley. That should do the trick.

Somebody needs to make that RIGHT NOW. Though I could do without Woodley. But Lawrence, Stone, and Kendrick in a rom-com that's actually good would be insane. 

• Like 3

Somebody needs to make that RIGHT NOW. Though I could do without Woodley. But Lawrence, Stone, and Kendrick in a rom-com that's actually good would be insane.

That didnt do anything for Teller, Jordan, and Efron. If something like that were made, I could see a total around Other Woman or less, but no huge breakout.
  • Like 2

That didnt do anything for Teller, Jordan, and Efron. If something like that were made, I could see a total around Other Woman or less, but no huge breakout.

Nobody cares about MBJ or Miles Teller.
  • Like 3

I only added Woodley because of her general popularity right now. I'm not really that big a fan of her either so I could do without her as well.

I remember a movie with Ryan Reynolds called Definitely, Maybe with Isla Fisher, Elizabeth Banks, and Rachel Weisz as potential love interests. And I thought if that movie were being made today or at least when those actresses are in their 30s, that they could play those female parts.

• Like 1

Nobody cares about MBJ or Miles Teller.

Yeah, I wasn't even sure who he was talking about when I read that post. Stone and Lawrence on the other hand are massive household names, and Kendrick has a nice little following too after the cult hit Pitch Perfect was.

• Like 2

Lawrence and Stone are infinitely more popular than Teller and Jordan. That Awkward Moment was targeted towards men, men whom at the time (before Neighbors) did not care for Efron. We're talking a hypothetical rom-com aimed at women. 

Edited by tonytr87
  • Like 1

I only added Woodley because of her general popularity right now. I'm not really that big a fan of her either so I could do without her as well.

I remember a movie with Ryan Reynolds called Definitely, Maybe with Isla Fisher, Elizabeth Banks, and Rachel Weisz as potential love interests. And I thought if that movie were being made today or at least when those actresses are in their 30s, that they could play those female parts.

I like Woodley well enough, but she doesn't excite me as an actress for some reason. Lawrence is great, Stone is one of the best comedic actresses out there I think, and Kendrick is damn endearing. 

• Like 1

I feel the same way about Titanic. Had it made its original opening date and been the big July 4th blockbuster in Summer 1997, it still would've been huge but maybe more $400 million huge, and just won Oscars in the technical categories, for Cameron's direction, but the smaller movies would've had room to build up campaigns as Oscar faves. It would've been the better than average summer flick rather than than the overrated Oscar winner that dominated music and TV specials and everything for months.

Melissa McCarthy, on SNL they do have writers, but people with comedy backgrounds especially get to put their own stamp on things. And she does a lot of loud/abrasive types in multiple sketches whenever she's on. She started in improv where people who have a weird/quirky/loudmouth schtick thrive and nuanced acting, not so much. Maybe Hollywood doesn't mind pigeonholing her, but maybe she also gravitates toward playing loud, unfashionable weirdos onscreen. People want her to be the one who proves that larger women can be vulnerable and desirable and play a fashion editor in a rom-com, be the girly girl, etc., and it would be nice if Hollywood opened its mind a bit (or a lot), but maybe that's not McCarthy's ultimate comfort zone as a performer. At this point, she probably has the clout to get a comedy made where she was playing someone a little less over the top, a fish out of water, maybe, but still fairly "normal" and funny, and I doubt the studio would've completely balked at the idea. There's a range between "The Heat" and "totally depressing awards bait drama".

McCarthy was on the The Gilmore Girls for years playing a sweet upbeat perky chef who was the only one in the cast to have a long term stable romantic relationship.

• Like 2

I like Woodley well enough, but she doesn't excite me as an actress for some reason. Lawrence is great, Stone is one of the best comedic actresses out there I think, and Kendrick is damn endearing. 

For me, it's her face. I'm not saying I think people find her ugly. I think her face is an acquired taste, a taste I have not acquired.

Edited by Jay Beezy
  • Like 1