#ED

Wknd #s: TF4 - 36.4M | Tam - 21.2M (32.9M) | DUFE - 9.5M (15M) | ETE - 8.3M (13.5M) | pg49 (We love the 90s/70s)

And I think this opinion is wrong.  Sorry, I respect your opinion, Mr. Pink, but imho, the human element is what drives the Transformers films.  Without it you don't have anything for the Transformers to do.

Fair enough. Maybe it's because I grew up with some of the animated series where humans play little to no factor, but I believe creatively at least, it can work. Maybe it won't appeal on a mass scale, but I think it's possible.

• Like 4

I doubt it. TF4 is the first TF movie that put more focus on the robots and it got the worst reception, go figures.

The focus was on the Transformers? Half of the movie seemed to be Marky Mark's family dramedy.

• Like 1

I don't think you NEED the human story to make it work, but you're going to need to make the Transformers themselves more interesting from a personality perspective. The Transformers themselves absolutely have the capability of holding a movie solely on their own. Something you obviously can't do with Godzilla, since it's more of a force of nature rather than an actual character.

I agree with you. I grew up watching Beast Wars and I absolutely love the series. No humans in there, but the Transformers have different personality.

• Like 4

I agree with you. I grew up watching Beast Wars and I absolutely love the series. No humans in there, but the Transformers have different personality.

Heh, I grew up watching Beast Wars as well. Great show.

• Like 4

I've never watched these TF movies and probably never will, but it's blockbuster 101 that when you have a far out concept like fighting robots you need human characters as an audience surrogate to convey the wonder of it all.

• Like 4

If we had Transformers with real characters, plus human support from, say, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Jennifer Lawrence and Idris Elba, these movies might not have fucking sucked.

Except they don't suck.  They have excellent characters.  Shia was the lifeblood of the films and this fourth one is sorely missing him.  

• Like 2

Thoughts:

Expected drop for Transformers.

Kind of softer than expected for Tammy but with a budget of only $20M it's already another winner for McCarthy. Very tepid openings for Deliver Us From Evil and Earth to Echo, neither of which was able to take advantage of a lack of horror and kid films on the market.

Solid holds for Jump Street, Dragon, and (again) Maleficent. Jersey Boys also saw a pretty great hold.

Kind of weak for America, thank god. Barf!

Really good expansion for Begin Again, and look at Chef go still! I hope it makes it to $30M.

• Like 2

The focus was on the Transformers? Half of the movie seemed to be Marky Mark's family dramedy.

I said 'more' focus, as in more than in the previous films. At least the Autobots have personality this time around.

And I'd say Optimus was treated more like the main character than Cade was.

Personally I don't think the movie is that bad at all so all the suggestions are for the others to enjoy it more.

Edited by KATCH 22
  • Like 2

I've never watched these TF movies and probably never will, but it's blockbuster 101 that when you have a far out concept like fighting robots you need human characters as an audience surrogate to convey the wonder of it all.

Well this will never happen because there's too much money invested into these things, but if I had infinite cash to spare, Transformers might be the perfect franchise to test this concept. Because 1) It's already established, there's no concept to prove. 2) Transformers have a lot of human characteristics as is.

• Like 3