CaptainJackSparrow

Boss Baby | March 31, 2017 | Dreamworks Animation

I doubt it matters how many films Dreamworks releases. At some point their business model of making competent but forgettable features was going to bite them in the ass.

Not to mention they're independent and they have the third biggest animation budgets after Pixar and WDAS. Everyone else has been keeping their budgets under $100m which means the film doesn't need to do big numbers to be successful.

DWA can go under for all I care, so long as I get my HTTYD3 first.

I have even less of an idea how the animation onslaught is going to play out than the comic book movie deluge. We shall see.

The animation boom is gonna look sane compared to the comic book onslaught in the next few years. 

Edited by Pokearcher
  • Like 2

Illumination is going to have two films a year from 2016, possibly three although might be live action, Warner Animation has two from 2017 onwards and Paramount has two in 2015 although one is a hybrid, this in addition to Sony with 1-2 films a year, Fox with 1 from Blue Sky, the three from DWA, 1 or 2 from WDAS and 1 or 2 from Pixar and that's not including smaller films from other companies. Something going have to give and I think we may see studios closing or cutting their output.

Holy shit, this is worse than I thought, I don't see a happy ending to this, studio executives have lost it ...

Edited by The Futurist
  • Like 2

Disney and Pixar will survive as will probably Warner Bros, Universal/Illumination and Fox but Sony, Paramount and DWA are the ones I think will be hit hardest.

Honestly I do worry that DreamWorks could run the risk of becoming the 21st century Fleischer Studios: hugely popular in its day, gave Disney a genuine run for their money for about a decade or so, but at the end of the day they couldn't keep up with the half-dozen other animation studios vying to be the next "not Disney" and collapsed.

• Like 2

Honestly I do worry that DreamWorks could run the risk of becoming the 21st century Fleischer Studios: hugely popular in its day, gave Disney a genuine run for their money for about a decade or so, but at the end of the day they couldn't keep up with the half-dozen other animation studios vying to be the next "not Disney" and collapsed.

DWA really came into their own when WDAS was in decline and CG was still a novelty since the only other competition was Pixar but with WDAS now back making great films and other studios like Warner Bros, Universal/Illumination, Fox/Blue Sky and Sony making animated films that are on par with if not better than DWA and at a lower cost, DWA seems to have fallen, relying on their past glory rather than coming up with new hits. 

I really like DWA for the sole fact that they make really outside-the-box projects (whether or not they are hit or miss). Mr. Peabody? The Croods? Turbo? They are like Pixar, but I guess not guranteed to succeed.

But there's still a sense of "sameness" to all their films regardless of what the premise is. They all have that distinctive blend of action/adventure-based plots and snarky humor, with just enough drama to make it feel sincere. 

The competition should encourage studios to diversify so that all their output can't just be pigeonholed as "animation". They ought to branch out into other styles, genres, and target demos. (Indeed, what makes the Dragon franchise so interesting is that it is so much of a departure, clearly being aimed at pre-teens and leaning more towards drama than comedy)

Edited by tribefan695
  • Like 1

Illumination is going to have two films a year from 2016, possibly three although might be live action, Warner Animation has two from 2017 onwards and Paramount has two in 2015 although one is a hybrid, this in addition to Sony with 1-2 films a year, Fox with 1 from Blue Sky, the three from DWA, 1 or 2 from WDAS and 1 or 2 from Pixar and that's not including smaller films from other companies. Something going have to give and I think we may see studios closing or cutting their output.

Big studios in general have seemed to have completely lost their minds lately with big budget film scheduling (Disney the most of course). Unless they're planning to start significantly cutting blockbuster budgets back, they're gonna be in for some rude awakenings when the market becomes so flooded that only the very strongest will be profitable. We could have like a 4:1 ratio of flops to successes in terms of big budget movies by 2018. Audiences will only spend so much.

• Like 1

But there's still a sense of "sameness" to all their films regardless of what the premise is. They all have that distinctive blend of action/adventure-based plots and snarky humor, with just enough drama to make it feel sincere. 

The competition should encourage studios to diversify so that all their output can't just be pigeonholed as "animation". They ought to branch out into other styles, genres, and target demos.

I'd love to see an animated film that is more serious in tone but the reality is, it likely would flop. Illumination have done very well with DM and the Minions but their other films like The Lorax and Hop while successful were generic, I do wonder outside of DM and Dr Seuss, whether Illumination can be successful, I imagine the budgets are low enough to allow them to have success on lower Box office.