Blankments

Tuesday Numbers - Tammy 3.4, ETE 1.7, DUFE 1.5, Jersey 744k, TLAM2 662k | Actuals on p16

Yes, but many dark sequels have DROPPED from the first film's take, regardless of quality relative to the original or whether the BO take constituted success or disappointment. HTTYD2, BTTF2, Batman Returns, Temple of Doom, even Empire Strikes Back.The Dark Knight is the only dark sequel I can think of to break out relative to the first. (Maybe The Two Towers, but does the second chapter of a predetermined trilogy count?)

The Two Towers?

• Like 1

The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers. (Thought everyone knew what LOTR was.)It was darker than Fellowship of the Ring, but grew both in terms of gross and admissions.Also, just realized that it's a crapshoot whether having a lighter third chapter caused admissions to bounce back. Last Crusade and BTTF3 both dropped again, ROTJ and Batman Forever grew slightly.It's irrelevant because Apes can only get DARKER with each film...

Edited by TServo2049
  • Like 1

The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers. (Thought everyone knew what LOTR was.)It was darker than Fellowship of the Ring, but grew both in terms of gross and admissions.

No I just missed the part where you mentioned the Two Towers.  I'm certainly aware of what it is.

The Toy Story films did get darker, especially the third.

• Like 1

OK, the more I think about it, the more I shoot holes in my own argument. HTTYD2 being dark may have had somewhat of an adverse effect on WOM, but Temple, BTTF2 and Batman Returns all opened big and THEN cratered due to the "too dark" WOM (and in BTTF2's case, the unadvertised cliffhanger bait-and-switch). Dragon didn't open big. So if darkness had been Dragon's ONLY problem, it probably would have opened to $60-65m and then had a steeper drop on weekend 2.So if Dawn underperforms, I assume "too dark" won't be its sole problem either.

Edited by TServo2049
  • Like 1

Looks like Summer 2014 has burned everyone on this forum pretty bad. The expectations for Apes are reaching bottom, Apes needs to break out just for the sanity of this forum.

We need to hope again

Posted Image

• Like 1

For it to hit 3.5 it needs about 240.  I don't think it will get there. 

The it will hit 230 and like 3.4. That's still significant difference from Alice, Oz & Snow White, especially Snow White which premiered in the same weekend so comparsion is very easy

• Like 1

Wonder if the World Cup final and 3rd/4th place match will have an affect on Apes's opening weekend. The demo being targeted by Apes is the same one as the World Cup, and I think the final match may have a really good rating in the US.

This anti-betting ad takes on a new meaning, Andy's dad may be a psychic

• Like 2

Because I enjoyed it a lot but everyone hates it.

Please. Not "everyone" hates it. Don't confuse vocal internet denizens with actual general audiences who could care less whether or not critics like a film, or whether or not a film is "good."  People enjoy what they enjoy, and even if the film doesn't gross as much as the previous ones, it doesn't mean that audiences hate the film or even dislike it. Most people are only looking for entertainment. If a film does that, that's enough for them.

• Like 2

Wonder if the World Cup final and 3rd/4th place match will have an affect on Apes's opening weekend. The demo being targeted by Apes is the same one as the World Cup, and I think the final match may have a really good rating in the US.This anti-betting ad takes on a new meaning, Andy's dad may be a psychichttp://youtu.be/oRValgHDvxE

Oh god. I see that ad everywhere i go. Even in the movies, they show this ad more than anything(even trailers).
  • Like 1

We gotta stop living in the past. 3x legs is good for summer movies now.

Really, if the multiplier rounds up to 3 for a high fan interest tentpole, it's better than most. Straight kids' films should still reach a 3+, however.

• Like 1

Had anyone else here ever had a nightmare about a celebrity they love passing on before their time? (I ask this because I had a truly awful dream last night where I logged on to the forums and immediately saw a thread titled "RIP Liam Neeson" :( )

• Like 2