CoolioD1

Wednesday Actuals: TF4 - 3.68M (pg 10)

Fox seems to be botching the Apes release. Poor marketing plus a late preview showtime. If you're gonna go before midnight, you might as well go for primetime at 7 or 8 PM. At least the movie itself seems to be very well made, so hopefully the WOM will help it overcome some of the mistakes by Fox.

Fox doesn't seem to do 7/8PM preview showings. Didn't do it for X-Men either. Also have no intention of releasing films in IMAX for most of their films either.

EDIT: Beaten badly. But Fox's strategies are weird.

Edited by MrPink

Can't say I blame them for this one. IMAX Corporation probably charges an arm and a leg for royalties on each movie.

X-Men might have made since as an IMAX release I think but it was too crowded, probably not Apes. Still, I found it interesting given that most of their trailers now say "See it in Premium formats" meaning RPX, Cinemark XD and the like.

Edited by MrPink

Wed-Wed Drops

Transformers - 3.66 (-52.7%)

Tammy - 2.55 (-58.9%)

How to Train Your Dragon 2 - 1.38 (-30%)

22 Jump Street - 1.38 (-30%)

Earth to Echo - 1.29 (-51%)

Deliver us from Evil - 1.10 (-61.4%)

Maleficent - 0.91 (-24%)

Jersey Boys - 0.60 (-31.8%)

The Fault in our Stars - 0.51 (-26%)

Think Like a Man Too - 0.50 (-39.4%)

America - 0.47 (-27.7%)

Edge of Tomorrow - 0.40 (-24%)

Days of Future Past - 0.22 (-24.7%)

Edited by jj99
  • Like 3

They much rather have $100m more in the U.S. than in China.  Not just because of the far greater cut from theatrical but because ancillary revenues (Video, TV, VOD etc)  are much greater in the U.S. and are somewhat dependent on the degree of theatrical success.

Look, you could've said the same about 90% of the movies. Of course Studios much rather have their movies made $100mil more in US, but they also knew they couldn't.

Shrek4, POTC4 and Spidey reboot had the same drop in the US and those franchises were just as big. Studios didn't make 4th movie or a reboot with the realistic wishful thinking that these movies would match the first trilogy in DOM gross, they made these movies because they knew for sure these movies would be profitable.

As long as the movies are profitable, does it matter THAT MUCH where the profit is coming from?

Edited by KATCH 22

Fox doesn't seem to do 7/8PM preview showings. Didn't do it for X-Men either. Also have no intention of releasing films in IMAX for most of their films either.

EDIT: Beaten badly. But Fox's strategies are weird.

They might not to IMAX releases, but we have it in our IDX.  So, all the RPX's and XD's of the world might have it.

Rise had a 19.5m od for a 54.8m ow.

Using the same multiplier, Dawn would need a 23.1m od for a 65m ow.

Accounting for sequel front-loading and bigger fridays due to previews, it would need a 25m+ od to get near 65m.

Just doesn't feel like it.

Look, you could've said the same about 90% of the movies. Of course Studios much rather have their movies made $100mil more in US, but they also knew they couldn't.

Shrek4, POTC4 and Spidey reboot had the same drop in the US and those franchises were just as big. Studios didn't make 4th movie or a reboot with the realistic wishful thinking that these movies would match the first trilogy in DOM gross, they made these movies because they knew for sure these movies would be profitable.

As long as the movies are profitable, does it matter THAT MUCH where the profit is coming from?

Wouldn't it be nice to know how much a studio takes from each country?

How a theater Dollar translates to TV-rights or HomeVideo-dollars?

Expecting 65 million at this point, might touch 200 million with legs.

That was EXACTLY what WWZ did last year and Apes2 is like 10X better than that dull movie.

I expect better from the US audience considering a few of them seem to be too quick to blame OS markets, mostly Asians, for supporting 'mindless action movies with no substance".

There it is, a blockbuster with so much heart and substance, embrace it.

• Like 1

Yeah and some of them are going to disappoint you. I'm counting on it.

Katch, that was her point. The odds are never in your favor because every movie that you like won't breakout at the BO. More often than not, movies that we end up liking will end up underperforming. She didn't mean You as in Katch.....she meant You as in all of us.

• Like 2

That was EXACTLY what WWZ did last year and Apes2 is like 10X better than that dull movie.

I expect better from the US audience considering a few of them seem to be too quick to blame OS markets, mostly Asians, for supporting 'mindless action movies with no substance".

There it is, a blockbuster with so much heart and substance, embrace it.

While I hope you're right, it's not like WWZ was panned by critics. They liked it enough. Audiences embraced it. Had the hype to help it along. Held well week to week v. still competition in Man of Steel. By the way, I thought it kinda sucked too. Just dull and boring. No matter what wins out, Apes will likely gross at least $175M+ DOM and $550M+ WW. It's going to do well.