CJohn

Weeknd Official Est: Apes 2 - 73M | Friday Numbers and Saturday Numbers on Page 1

WWZ was not a sequel though. Still, Apes should top 60m and show good legs, on its way to hopefully at least 200m total. At the end of the day, no matter how good the movie, it's about talking apes with guns riding horses. And there is a (pretty large) segment of the population that will never go see that. 

Also in WWZ humanity is fighting bad bad Zombies - we're supposed to root for humanity.  Not so much in Apes 2 and everyone knows how the saga if not the movie ends since who hasn't seen Planet of the Get your stinking paws of me you damn dirty Apes?

DoFP only had 10:00 showings.

Not from what I remember maybe it was at 9:00 our theater had. Course that could've been a screening.

No, he's right.  DOFP showings started at 10 but it is a terrible comp to use here.  

• Like 4

Both Godzilla and DOFP had 7:00 8:00 Showings.

Also I never expected this to do 90 million 65-70 would be good for it.

Godzilla had 7 and 8 PM shows, but DOFP was 10 PM just like Apes. The X-Men franchise is one of the most frontloaded franchises in existence, so it's tough to compare Apes with it.

• Like 1

I haven't been keeping up either, but if Fox expected mid-50s, which is barely past the first OW, then expectations I think falls on the low side.I think around here, our members were hoping for 70M+, but it has been tempered down as of late cause of trackings.

Studios also low ball so if it's higher its a bigger success.  They were saying the week of DOFP they expected $100m for the 4 Day Memorial Day Weekend.  They were off by about $7m. 

No, he's right.  DOFP showings started at 10 but it is a terrible comp to use here.

Yeah, X-Men is very fan-driven. That's definitely not the case with Apes.

I haven't been keeping up either, but if Fox expected mid-50s, which is barely past the first OW, then expectations I think falls on the low side.I think around here, our members were hoping for 70M+, but it has been tempered down as of late cause of trackings.

Fox expects mid 50's publicly but I'd say internally they're shooting for mid-60s. 

• Like 8

HTTYD2 experience (will end up with ~3.45x compared to HTTYD1's 5x) should teach us not to expect amazing legs from Apes. Even when sequels have better legs than originals, which is rare, it's not by much. Eg: Even CA2's multiplier will end up barely above CA1's 2.715x despite marked improvement in quality/wom. Bigger previews make it more difficult to have a better multiplier.

Rise of Apes was 3.22x with 1.4m in Thursday previews. So great legs for Dawn would mean close to 3x and not much more.

Edited by a2k
  • Like 2

Apes is a very interesting case of a sequel to a well-regarded movie that doesn't have a huge fan base and also skews much older and wealthier than most other summer films.  The only comp we should be using here is Rise.  This film shouldn't be acting like a sequel that we're used to.  

• Like 6