Dementeleus

Tuesday Actuals: APES 9.6, AOE 2.6 | All numbers in first post | The Jeremy Renner edition | NO DERAILMENTS!

And I just watched another Christian Slater movie. Granted, this one was much more riddled withhomoerotic overtones :wacko:

Is that a bad thing?

Posted Image

Edited by Sam
  • Like 2

Again, I don't really buy the "screwed over" argument. Was THE RAID 2 "screwed over"? Was UNDER THE SKIN "screwed over"? Was LOCKE "screwed over"? You could argue that each of those might've made a bit more with slightly adjusted release patterns, but not dramatically so. In any case, SNOWPIERCER is doing really well on VOD (where studios receive a significantly greater percentage of the gross) so it's hard to say that the Weinsteins were either idiots or wanted to spite Joon-Ho Bong.

Oh I think Weinstein did it to spite Bong and the film and it's not as if he's never shelved or buried foreign films.   He held the film up for a year, he pulled it out of TIFF and other festivals last year because he only wanted his cut shown.  It was supposed to be shown last fall in the U.S.  Instead they fought over the cut for almost a year as it was released in SK, China, Japan, France, Germany etc.  The compromise was no wide release and instead a platform release with the so called promise of going wider with success.. 

But it didn't even get that since it was sent to Radius and the VOD plan cut any theatrical legs out from under it from the start unlike The Raid 2 or Under The Skin. There is no reason it couldn't have been expanded like Begin Again  which it did better than per screen (even in some smaller venues) when both opened except by being VOD it kept them from most of the better art houses and most mainstream theaters when it came to larger expansion.  Instead of 2-3 screens playing 15 times a day at the Arclight etc it got very small screens in out of the way theaters where it played maybe 2-3 times a day if lucky.

I do think that Quinn and Radius have done as well as they could considering how hamstrung they were by Weinsten and that their model and probably marketing budget is geared toward VOD.  They really couldn't push the expansion theatrically much more and this way VOD capitalized on the good buzz.

• Like 2

Oh I think Weinstein did it to spite Bong and the film and it's not as if he's never shelved or buried foreign films.   He held the film up for a year, he pulled it out of TIFF and other festivals last year because he only wanted his cut shown.  It was supposed to be shown last fall in the U.S.  Instead they fought over the cut for almost a year as it was released in SK, China, Japan, France, Germany etc.  The compromise was no wide release and instead a platform release with the so called promise of going wider with success.. 

But it didn't even get that since it was sent to Radius and the VOD plan cut any theatrical legs out from under it from the start unlike The Raid 2 or Under The Skin. There is no reason it couldn't have been expanded like Begin Again  which it did better than per screen (even in some smaller venues) when both opened except by being VOD it kept them from most of the better art houses and most mainstream theaters when it came to larger expansion.  Instead of 2-3 screens playing 15 times a day at the Arclight etc it got very small screens in out of the way theaters where it played maybe 2-3 times a day if lucky.

I do think that Quinn and Radius have done as well as they could considering how hamstrung they were by Weinsten and that their model and probably marketing budget is geared toward VOD.  They really couldn't push the expansion theatrically much more and this way VOD capitalized on the good buzz.

I agree that the struggle over the final cut delayed the film, but would it have done dramatically better getting released last fall? I dunno.

I really don't think it would've been playing 2-3 screens at the Arclight.

• Like 1

I agree that the struggle over the final cut delayed the film, but would it have done dramatically better getting released last fall? I dunno.

I really don't think it would've been playing 2-3 screens at the Arclight.

Raid 2 I believe opened on three screens. Begin Again was on 3 screens at the Arclight opening w/e while Snowpiercer was at the less popular Sundance - where it made more than Begin Again did (with higher Arclight prices).  Similarly in NYC at the Angelika, BA got three screens and Snowpiercer got one their first w/e and Snowpiercer made more on one than BA did on three as audiences for Snowpiercer were turned away because of sellouts which is why the next w/e each had two screens and Snowpiercer now has more showtimes

• Like 1

Did I say the numbers were good? Because those numbers are good. I mean wow. Tuesday bumps are awesome.

Dem numbers sure are nice and firm.

• Like 2

Raid 2 I believe opened on three screens. Begin Again was on 3 screens at the Arclight opening w/e while Snowpiercer was at the less popular Sundance - where it made more than Begin Again did (with higher Arclight prices).  Similarly in NYC at the Angelika, BA got three screens and Snowpiercer got one their first w/e and Snowpiercer made more on one than BA did on three as audiences for Snowpiercer were turned away because of sellouts which is why the next w/e each had two screens and Snowpiercer now has more showtimes

I don't remember it playing 3 screens at the Arclight and I saw it there opening weekend, but I'll defer to your account. That being said, SNOWPIERCER is a far more downbeat and weird movie than either RAID 2 (a sequel to a popular art house breakout) and BEGIN AGAIN... is it that hard to imagine that initial bookings wouldn't be as high, regardless?

• Like 1

So Apes had a 8.2 Monday and maybe a 9.1 Tuesday.

For comparison, 3 years ago ROTPOTA had a 6.65 Monday and 6.67 Tuesday.

That's pretty good.

Very promising! :D

Also, Malf is passing Oz tomorrow (at 48th day), wich so much stronger holds it should have no problem passing Oz' final total and finishing around 240m.

• Like 2

Looking at the recent numbers I noticed that HTTYD2 has had some of the best week-over-week holds the last five days. Shame it's finding its legs right before competition arrives.

Also a comment on the Purge 2. I took a chance and saw the first in theatres. Pleasantly for a non-horror fan, I didn't consider it true horror. I thought it had fairly decent cross-genre appeal if you're looking for a unique premise and decent action. WOM between the two releases should be passable. It's unlikely to hold, but the 30 mil estimates for open don't strike me as crazy.

• Like 1

Damn, that Maleficent is like a mini-Frozen.  I really hope 240 million is in play!!  #1 movie of the summer.  lol.

No Transformers will be number one movie of the summer.

• Like 1

Id like to see Transformers win the summer but the way its dropping itll probably end at around 240.

Just so long as it ends within 3.5% of 248  :lol:

• Like 3