Plain Old Tele

Tuesday Actuals: APES 9.6, AOE 2.6 | All numbers in first post | The Jeremy Renner edition | NO DERAILMENTS!

On the bright side, it took 14 pages for a Maleficent post

Has anyone mentioned Man of Steel yet?  :ph34r:

Because, you know, no movie this year has topped it's gross yet. Or Monsters University for that matter. 

• Like 1

Can we discuss movies? Or is it strictly box office? Sorry. Im confused.Serious question.

I was just joking. Obviously APES is relevant as it's a current release and at the top of the charts. But if you started talking about watching TRUE ROMANCE, that's a little off-topic.

• Like 2

Snowpiercer was so good. To make this post about numbers, I'll just say fuck you Harvey Weinstein. Snowpiercer is essentially a good Elysium, and with a proper marketing campaign like Elysium, it could've made 100M as counterprogramming in wide release on June 20, instead of the shit numbers it has right now. <_<

Glad that you like it. Echoing Tele, I don't think it can do that well, but definitely would have gotten better numbers had it wasn't being screwed over.
  • Like 1

Glad that you like it.Echoing Tele, I don't think it can do that well, but definitely would have gotten better numbers had it wasn't being screwed over.

Again, I don't really buy the "screwed over" argument. Was THE RAID 2 "screwed over"? Was UNDER THE SKIN "screwed over"? Was LOCKE "screwed over"? You could argue that each of those might've made a bit more with slightly adjusted release patterns, but not dramatically so. In any case, SNOWPIERCER is doing really well on VOD (where studios receive a significantly greater percentage of the gross) so it's hard to say that the Weinsteins were either idiots or wanted to spite Joon-Ho Bong.

• Like 3

Again, I don't really buy the "screwed over" argument. Was THE RAID 2 "screwed over"? Was UNDER THE SKIN "screwed over"? Was LOCKE "screwed over"? You could argue that each of those might've made a bit more with slightly adjusted release patterns, but not dramatically so. In any case, SNOWPIERCER is doing really well on VOD (where studios receive a significantly greater percentage of the gross) so it's hard to say that the Weinsteins were either idiots or wanted to spite Joon-Ho Bong.

Well, I go with idiots option. That sounds better and more fun.
  • Like 2

Initial theater counts, snowpiercer is shedding theaters

Rank LW Title Distributor Theater Count Change % Change Week #
> NEW RELEASES
1 - Planes: Fire & Rescue Buena Vista 3,600 - - 1
2 - The Purge: Anarchy Universal 3,303 - - 1
3 - Sex Tape Sony / Columbia 3,060 - - 1
4 - Persecuted Millennium Ent. 736 - - 1
8 - Wish I Was Here Focus Features 60 - - 1
13 - I Origins Fox Searchlight 4 - - 1
14 - There's No Place Like Utopia Rocky Mountain Pictures 1 - - 1
> EXPANDING
11 76 Supermensch: The Legend of Shep Gordon Radius-TWC 8 +2 +33.3% 7
12 80 Land Ho! Sony Classics 7 +3 +75.0% 2
> DECLINING
5 15 Chef Open Road Films 552 -149 -21.3% 11
6 17 Snowpiercer Radius-TWC 211 -145 -40.7% 4
7 24 Third Person Sony Classics 154 -73 -32.2% 5
9 41 Words and Pictures Roadside Attractions 33 -7 -17.5% 9
10 45 Fed Up Radius-TWC 12 -8 -40.0% 11

• Like 1

Glad that you like it.Echoing Tele, I don't think it can do that well, but definitely would have gotten better numbers had it wasn't being screwed over.

With a wide release, I could see 60M in the cards yo

The only indie film in the past few years that would have really benefited from a better release pattern was THE PERKS OF BEING A WALLFLOWER, and even that got a wide release.

• Like 2

well that is good to know. The funny thing is I actually watched true romance 2 nights ago. Hell of a movie foryou to just pull out of your ass buddy. Lol.

• Like 2

well that is good to know. The funny thing is I actually watched true romance 2 nights ago. Hell of a movie foryou to just pull out of your ass buddy. Lol.

That's crazy. Admittedly, I was talking about it with a friend a day or two ago so I guess it was stuck in my subconscious somewhere.

• Like 2

That's crazy. Admittedly, I was talking about it with a friend a day or two ago so I guess it was stuck in my subconscious somewhere.

http://youarenotsosmart.com/2010/06/23/confirmation-bias/

Good numbers all around today.

Edited by grim22
  • Like 2

Has anyone mentioned Man of Steel yet?  :ph34r:

Because, you know, no movie this year has topped it's gross yet. Or Monsters University for that matter. 

After MoS released, CF is the only non-animation that grossed more than it domestically.

• Like 3

And I just watched another Christian Slater movie. Granted, this one was much more riddled with homoerotic overtones :wacko:

In the Name of the Rose?
  • Like 1