Plain Old Tele

Tuesday Actuals: APES 9.6, AOE 2.6 | All numbers in first post | The Jeremy Renner edition | NO DERAILMENTS!

Its run has ultimately mirrored KFP2. Not sure why people are suggesting the third film will be cancelled. Its overseas rollout is doing fine.

Some, including me, were worried that it WOULDN'T increase OS (remember that it was extremely frontloaded in most of its earliest territories - mostly in Southeast Asia). There was also the fact that it was DWA's third straight underperformance, then the layoffs, and so on.Obviously it was overreacting, the only thing I'm a tiny bit nervous about is if film 3 will be pushed to be "lighter" a la Return of the Jedi. Edited by TServo2049

I think Apes is pretty much guaranteed to hit 240M at this point.

Why? This increase doesnt mean anything. Tomorrows drop won't mean anything. Thursdays number means little. Talk to me on Monday and then youll have a better idea of what to expect.
  • Like 11

Why? This increase doesnt mean anything. Tomorrows drop won't mean anything. Thursdays number means little. Talk to me on Monday and then youll have a better idea of what to expect.

Because I am both crazy and biased. 

Oh, be nice to the kid. He'll have a better handle on how the box office works decades before you did. ;)

Edited by Accursed Arachnid!™
  • Like 6

When can mal pass DOFP?is it possible? The thought of that gives me great joy

It's still 5.8m behind even if it gained 700k today. So it will not happen until next weekend at the earliest. The gains will decrease as both movies drop and if they drop too quickly it might possibly never happen at all.

Literally soooo mad that Apes is doing well! I love it!Jk. But these numbers are good!

With three wide openers this weekend a lot of movies are going to lose lots of screens.  This w/e might have the biggest affect on legs of older movies than any other over the last couple of months.

Agreed. If there's anything you're rooting for that's been out for a while, expect a rude shock on theater numbers tomorrow. I'm hoping EoT gets to $100 million but thinking it could lose as much as 50% of its count, which would pretty much end its run.

The hell?

Advance sales at online ticket broker Fandango show “Apes” leading, with “The Purge: Anarchy” not far behind and pacing ahead of the original film and last summer's horror hit “The Conjuring.”

• Like 2

This Week's Predictions -

1. Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (20th Century Fox) - $35.2 million - 52%

2. The Purge: Anarchy (Universal Pictures) - $33 million N/A

3. Planes: Fire & Rescue (Walt Disney Pictures) - $29.7 million N/A

4. Sex Tape (Sony) - $24.5 million N/A

5. Transformers: Age of Extinction (Paramount) - $7.3 million -55%

6. Tammy (Warner Bros.) - $7 million -45%

7. 22 Jump Street (Sony) - $4 million -40%

8. How to Train Your Dragon 2 (DreamWorks Animation, 20th Century Fox) - $3.8 million -38%

9. Earth to Echo (Relativity) - $3.3 million -40%

10. Maleficent (Walt Disney Pictures) - $2.7 million -36%

Read more: The Weekend Warrior: The Purge: Anarchy, Planes: Fire & Rescue, Sex Tape - ComingSoon.net http://www.comingsoon.net/news/weekendwarriornews.php?id=120532#ixzz37fOiuULM 

• Like 1

Variety

It’s difficult to discern which film will land on top when the dust settles, but the big winner promises to be Universal’s “The Purge: Anarchy.” The horror film was shot for a meager $9 million, but is on track to scare up to $30 million this weekend when it launches across 2,804 theaters. Some analysts predict it will come close to the $34 million that the first “Purge” raked in last summer, but the studio is being more cautious and predicting a debut in the $20 million range. However it shakes out, “The Purge: Anarchy” is looking like one of the few summer releases to make back its production budget in a single weekend.

Look for “Planes” to debut to north of $20 million when it debuts in 3,826 theaters, more than half of which will be in 3D. The studio is also positioning the animated sequel up for a nice run overseas, where it will premiere in 23 major territories including Japan, Brazil, Spain and Mexico.

Animated films may have been few and far between, but there’s been no shortage of R-rated comedies hitting theaters, which could work against Columbia Pictures’ “Sex Tape.” The film reunites Cameron Diaz with her “Bad Teacher” director Jake Kasdan and co-star Jason Segel for another rowdy outing, this one with an iCloud twist. The film could break out. Diaz is an indefatigable promoterand is coming off a hit with this spring’s “The Other Woman” and tracking is respectable. A debut of $26 million seems attainable for the cautionary tale of re-enacting large swaths of the Kama Sutra in the digital age,  slightly less than “Bad Teacher’s” $31.6 million bow three years ago. It will debut in 3,060 locations and will also premiere in Australia.

Looming over the box office is  “Apes,” which received a positive reaction on social media and an A- CinemaScore. Many blockbusters this summer have labored through their second weekends, dropping more than 60%, but analysts expect that the post-apocalyptic thriller will fare better, dropping roughly 50%. That would put its weekend around $34 million, making it one of the rare films to hold on to its box office crown for a second go-round.