CJohn

Weekend Estimates: The Purge 28.3M | Apes 36M | Sex Tape 15M | Planes 18M | Godzilla 470k +91% 198.9m!!! | More Numbers on Page 1

WB really should have released Edge of Tomorrow this weekend

They should've, but they opted to waste it on Jupiter Ascending (an inevitable bomb that they decided to banish to early next year about a month ago when it was too late) instead.

Last year, during the same weekend, the summer season saw 3 movies that grossed more than $250M (IM3, MoS, DM2), and a total of 6 $200M-grossing movies. This year, so far the season has not produced a single movie that grosses more than $230M. Not a disaster but strangely underwhelming despite the exciting line-up.

Posted Image

• Like 1

So... while all the attention is focused on Apes, TF4 and Maleficent and the general patheticity of this summer, is 22JS sneaking off to 200m? It will require 30% weekly dropa from here to get there. Not impossible.

Edited by Fake

Managed to see The Purge and Begin Again this weekend.  The Purge, while still a far cry from being good, was a big improvement over the first and at least entertaining.  Begin Again is a really charming film that I'm glad is finding at least a small audience.  Has a somewhat unconventional plot and the music was solid.

• Like 2

WB really should have released Edge of Tomorrow this weekend

Here's a more interesting thought experiment. If Warner Bros could reset time (like Cruise's character) imagine they flip EoT's release date with Oblivion's last year. If you're going to have a clutch of very similar movies appear in a bunch its far preferable to have the best quality appear first as it increases audience good will for the others. The quick succession of failures with Oblivion, After Earth, and Elysium deprived EoT of its originality, killed the benefit of the doubt toward Cruise, and soured the market on non-franchise sci-fi. If Edge had been first in line I think it could have done at least $100 mil better in North America and Europe.

I dont think this has been reported

Godzilla weekend est

326 thrs 470k +91% 198.974m

+91%?

Posted Image

Get those 200M WB :lol: And after this get ready to push EoT into 100M.

Edited by CJohn
  • Like 14

So... while all the attention is focused on Apes, TF4 and Maleficent and the general patheticity of this summer, is 22JS sneaking off to 200m? It will require 30% weekly dropa from here to get there. Not impossible.

I don't really see it happening but yeah, not impossible.

Godzilla weekend est

+91% with a flat theatre count? Who gave Godzilla the steroids?

Jokes aside, is this number fiddling by the studio or is this what happens when there's a push into discount theatres?

+91% with a flat theatre count? Who gave Godzilla the steroids?Jokes aside, is this number fiddling by the studio or is this what happens when there's a push into discount theatres?

470k seems reasonable.

Godzilla weekend est

Posted Image

Finally though. I've waited so long for this. Shoulda made at least $225M.

And I can buy that numbah. When I went to go see it, it was packed and sold out. Get that cash, Godzilla.

Edited by Claire Nolan Holt
  • Like 1