CJohn

Weekend Estimates: The Purge 28.3M | Apes 36M | Sex Tape 15M | Planes 18M | Godzilla 470k +91% 198.9m!!! | More Numbers on Page 1

So I just logged on to BOM and looked at all of the weekend numbers, and the one that actually surprised me the most was Transformers. I really didn't think that one would hit $10M. It still has a shot at 250 after all.

It loses all IMAX screens next week.

Everything had great drops this weekend, speaks strongly for how weak these openers were.

Yep, the only opener that did well was Purge, but that didn't hurt any film except for DUFE.

So everything else held well. Most noticable when you see that 22JS and Tammy weren't overly hurt by Sex Tape, and Maleficent and HTTYD2 weren't bothered by Planes 2.

• Like 2

I know it's done well especially WW but I expected more from it's DOM. I got Maleficent's appeal but since DOFP was a very good movie and had such a good head start I thought Mal would just come close but not close enough.

Maleficent deserves it, of course. I don't like the movie myself but if it can hold this well it certainly do a lot of things very right.

This summer hasn't been kind to typical summer blockbusters. The studios should rethink their summer strategy next year.

Yes, maby they shoudn't release The avengers 2, it will flop anyway XD

• Like 3

Lol they didn't fudge to get that 700M in the headlines. But yes at Malef! And its PTA this weekend is already higher than last weekend.

Disney doesn't have to fudge the numbers, they are great. They had 2 big budget movies that had to score and they both did, with great legs....

• Like 1

Maybe the studios should stop rebooting/making endless sequels to properties and make something new or at least find something new/different to adapt.

Maleficent might be doing so well because it's unique. A retelling of a known fairy tale. Not exactly original, but it did have an original spin on a classic movie that we haven't gotten five installments of in the past decade. Moviegoers are going to get tired of all these remakes/quasi-sequels and what-not and this summer is a perfect example of that happening.

• Like 4

to Hercules?

Yeah. The real IMAX screen near me has Hercules listed under the coming soon films. They've also scaled back to just 2 showings to TF4, so there's basically no chance they play both at the same time.

• Like 1

minus the fact that we are down considerably year over year it looks like a great weekend. Good holdovers, good totals - that Tammy numbers needs to continue climbing so I don't loose many points.....

Watching Under The Skin right now too - what a fucking weird movie so far.....

• Like 2

Hmm, looks like Hercules only gets to keep IMAX for one week until GOTG

Ans GotG is only keeping them for one week as well. TMNT will keep them forever. Is there anything else getting IMAX until The Equalizer on September 26?

Edited by CJohn
  • Like 1

Ans GotG is only keeping them for one week as well. TMNT kill keep them forever. Is there anything else getting IMAX until The Equalizer on September 26?

Forrest Gump on September 5 (yes, I'm serious).

• Like 2

Forrest Gump on September 5 (yes, I'm serious).

So it will have them for 3 weeks :lol:

Is Ghostbusters also getting an IMAX release over Labor Day weekend?

• Like 1

Solid hold for Dawn of the Planet of the Apes. Its Saturday and Sunday week-to-week drops were both around 44%, which bodes well for its staying power in the next few weeks. It has also successfully bucked the trend of dropping off the face of the Earth after a big opening, which is something that only Maleficent before it had managed to do so far this season. Even with the bigger opening, its hold was also almost on the same level as Rise, which dropped 49.2% in its second frame. It won't have the staying power to challenge for the summer crown, but it's all set to pass $200 million with ease. I think $230 million is a good target for it at this point.

The Purge: Anarchy had a very commendable opening considering that its predecessor was so poorly received. If nothing else, it suggests that viewers were intrigued by the premise, but disappointed with its execution in the first film. With the low budget, a third installment next year is all but guaranteed, and it's a no-brainer that they'll keep the action on the streets rather than in a house.

Planes: Fire & Rescue had a relatively weak opening. The original Planes wasn't hugely beloved, but it definitely did connect with its target audience, and there's a dearth of available entertainment for families at the multiplex right now, so it looked like an over-performance waiting to happen. Evidently, the first one was the real over-performer. Nevertheless, with little in its way for little kids for a while, it should reap the benefits of summer weekdays and display very strong legs.

Sex Tape had a weak opening. The premise certainly seemed thin and contrived, but one would have thought that Cameron Diaz could carry it to a bigger opening. It will probably struggle from here on out, which has to be disappointing considering that it initially looked as though it could capitalize on an empty July.

Transformers held really well. Captain America and Lego are still in its sights, but losing IMAX screens next weekend will probably put enough of a dent in it to put those films' totals just out of reach. All eyes are now on its international business as it nears the $1 billion milestone.

Tammy has held on really well despite what seems to be a lack of excitement for the movie itself. Hitting upper-80s would be pretty good in the face of tepid reviews and a "meh" ad campaign.

22 Jump Street is getting some great late legs. Even though R-rated comedies in general haven't been as successful as anticipated, it's still impressive that it's going to be the highest grossing one of the bunch by such a wide margin (and Neighbors wasn't a slouch).

How to Train Your Dragon 2 is also showing some late staying power, but it's too late to do anything to reverse its status as a disappointment.

Maleficent has to be one of the biggest, most consistent success stories of the season, right? (Not that the bar is set particularly high.) I wonder whether it could have been even more monstrous had Disney kept it on the 4th of July weekend.

Boyhood's performance in still-very-limited release is mightily impressive. It's going to be a tough sell as it goes wider, but it's performing very nicely for the level that it's presently at.
  • Like 1