Olive

Weekend Numbers...pg 29 (Lucy 44M, Herc 29...big drops for most holdovers)

So why did Lucy do so well?

Was it the concept or ScarJo's star power?

Both.  Scarjo in the last 3 years have been in a lot of projects, her star has definitely risen.  Also people enjoyed her in "Her" and "Cap 2" which came out with in the last calender year.  Also give credit to the concept.  Some thought it wasn't that good but it definitely hooked audiences.  Lastly give my man Morgan Freeman some props.  People really do enjoy him in movies.  Lastly Luc Besson has a very strong cult fanbase.  

Edited by filmscholar

This might be the most interesting weekend all summer. That's fantastic for both openers. No way Lucy misses $40 million and Hercules is gonna near $30 million.This weekend proves both ScarJo and The Rock's star power.

Both.  Scarjo in the last 3 years have been in a lot of projects, her star has definitely risen.  Also people enjoyed her in "Her" and "Cap 2" which came out with in the last calender year.  Also give credit to the concept.  Some thought it wasn't that good but it definitely hooked audiences.  Lastly give my man Morgan Freeman some props.  People really do enjoy him in movies.  Lastly Luc Besson has a very strong cult fanbase.  

Maybe I'm the only one, but hasn't the concept been done elsewhere more than once?

(that is, the whole "we only use such and such percent of our brains")

This might be the most interesting weekend all summer. That's fantastic for both openers. No way Lucy misses $40 million and Hercules is gonna near $30 million.This weekend proves both ScarJo and The Rock's star power.

That's actually kinda bad for Hercules considering budget, brand awareness, etc. 35mil was the low-end target. We're only celebrating just under 30mil because tracking was terrible. Lucy, though, is a minor breakout hit. 

Edited by tonytr87
  • Like 1

Maybe I'm the only one, but hasn't the concept been done elsewhere more than once?

(that is, the whole "we only use such and such percent of our brains")

Using more "Brain Power" isn't a new concept at all.  But this film seems to have too that concept to the extreme. 

lol. how many A-list heroes are there? They're already making Ant Man next year.

I'm not saying that I want a Black Widow movie, I just don't see the point when Lucy already exists.

And, I don't want to see the same damn movie over and over again. Marvel needs to diversify sooner rather than later.

Perhaps they are doing so already, which would be smart, because they cannot last doing the same thing forever.

If they make a Black Widow movie, I think they should focus on the current and the past. I really think this could have some serious potential to show case her training when she was just a kid. It could be like Hitgirl, just a bit more tamer.

• Like 1

It's an action movie featuring a chick as the main star. Movies with strong chicks in them have been doing gang busters over the past couple of years. And it's saddening, because despite all of the huge hits, the studios as a whole still won't accept women being the power houses that they are.

• Like 2

definitely ScarJo. I know a couple people who want to see it just because of her. 

Also, the trailer spelled out an intriguing concept, if silly.

It was also marketed well. Releasing the trailer with Cap 2 and having lots of ads during the World Cup final. 

• Like 1