BK007

Discussion: Shrek 2 will never be beaten

Toy Story 3 also had significantly more competition than Shrek 2.Shrek 2 had Azkaban all summer.Toy Story 3 had Shrek 4, Marmaduke, Karate Kid, Last Airbender, Despicable Me, Sorcerer's Apprentice and Cats & Dogs 2.You take out all of that except Despicable Me and Karate Kid (the only decent ones of all of that summer's kids movies), Toy Story 3 might have beat Shrek 2's unadjusted titleDory has 6 more years of inflation - the extra $26 million might happen this time

Toy Story 3 had the best 3D moment ever and 6 years inflation in favor too ;)

But I agree that Dory is the next with a chance.

• Like 1

Yeah, Shrek 2's performance was a perfect storm of positive factors coming together at once.

- Beloved predecessor that did extraordinarily well in theatres, then grew even larger on home video.

- Clever ad campaign that did a great job of introducing new characters.

- Last-minute bump to Wednesday to get audience word-of-mouth out about how good it was (although it looked like this backfired at first).

- The only big family movie in theatres when it opened.

- Stellar audience reception.

- Cross-demographic appeal. It was light enough that it didn't run the risk of scaring little kids (unlike Harry Potter when it opened two weeks later), but also humorous enough that teens and adults could enjoy it.

I don't really understand why it was so big. it's a decent film. but not nearly as good as the first Shrek. which was amazing and still one of my favorite animated films. 

It was "nearly as good", IMO. The milking of the shtick was much more apparent than the first film but it was still a very clever and funny movie. It not only managed to retain all the goodwill from the first film, but also built on it. Of course, then The Turd came along and shat all over that.

Toy Story 3 had the best 3D moment ever and 6 years inflation in favor too ;)

But I agree that Dory is the next with a chance.

You must be taking the piss, I remember taking my 3d glasses of half way through the film and seeing absolutely no difference. TS3's 3d sucked, and that's not even an opinion, its a fact.

Edited by jessie
  • Like 1

Monsters University had all the goodwill from a beloved original, good reviews, 12 years of inflation and 3D and still ended just 13 mil $ above Monsters Inc. original run. How probable is Finding Dory to go 100 mil. above Finding Nemo's original run even with all the inflation? 

Monsters University had all the goodwill from a beloved original, good reviews, 12 years of inflation and 3D and still ended just 13 mil $ above Monsters Inc. original run. How probable is Finding Dory to go 100 mil. above Finding Nemo's original run even with all the inflation? 

Finding Dory will return more teens who saw it as a child (because it's more beloved) it has more fans among people who weren't alive when the original film was released. It could easily be a better film than MU. 

Finding Dory will return more teens who saw it as a child (because it's more beloved) it has more fans among people who weren't alive when the original film was released. It could easily be a better film than MU. 

How old were you in 2003?

Edited by Schumacher FTW

That's a lot of assuming

You must be taking the piss, I remember taking my 3d glasses of half way through the film and seeing absolutely no difference. TS3's 3d sucked, and that's not even an opinion, its a fact.

I am not talking about 3D quality, but about benefits to final gross. What I am saying is it probably had a big 3D ratio, so prices of tickets were more expensive. After Avatar, 2010 3D movies were benefited because of it.

Nemo is definitely more popular than MI. And MU was REALLY mediocre. Having said that, Dory beating Shrek 2 is nowhere a lock.

People overpredicted Toy Story 3, Monsters University and now this. Shrek was more popular than anything Pixar have released, that is why Shrek 2 reached the heights Pixar aren't capable off (ticket wise)

Edited by jessie

What I think Dreamworks did well is to release Shrek 2 just 3 years after first part. They did not let the franchise to be some forgotten, Toy Story 3 was released 10 years later than previous, Monsters University, 12 years, and Dory will be released 13 years after Nemo. Maybe that is one of the reasons of its bigger success in relation to Pixar sequels.

Said this, Finding Nemo was bigger in gross than Shrek 1, Monsters Inc and Toy Story 2, even adjusted, And, at least, it was as liked as those movies. IMHO, It has a chance to do it.

Edited by peludo

What I think Dreamworks did well is to release Shrek 2 just 3 years after first part. They did not let the franchise to be some forgotten, Toy Story 3 was released 10 years later than previous, Monsters University, 12 years, and Dory will be released 13 years after Nemo. Maybe that is one of the reasons of its bigger success in relation to Pixar sequels.

Said this, Finding Nemo was bigger in gross than Shrek 1, Monsters Inc and Toy Story 2, even adjusted, And, at least, it was as liked as those movies. IMHO, It has a chance to do it.

I prefer Finding Nemo but I think Shrek is the more popular of the lot. Everyone loves Shrek.

It has a chance, sure, but it wont touch it in ticket sales.

I am not talking about 3D quality, but about benefits to final gross. What I am saying is it probably had a big 3D ratio, so prices of tickets were more expensive. After Avatar, 2010 3D movies were benefited because of it.

Even then though, Toy Story 3 was on the lower end of 3D ticket sales (Only the Despicable Me movies go lower than Pixar) at that time, and likely pushed higher than usual thanks to IMAX. For it's OW, BOM estimates that it gained an extra $20m from 3D, so you could probably say that it would have made between $350m and $370m without 3D available to it.