BK007

Discussion: Shrek 2 will never be beaten

Finding dory has a shot but Pixar hasn't Ben on fire since 2010

Even though I'm not one of the people cheerleading for Dory, this really doesn't mean anything. WDAS hadn't had any CG animated feature make more than Tangled's just-barely $200m, and yet Frozen doubled that.Even though I don't think Dory will beat Shrek 2 unadjusted either, the fact that Pixar hasn't been "on fire" since 2010 doesn't mean they won't hit their stride again in the future. Edited by TServo2049

Yeah, the first Shrek left an undeniably massive footprint on pop culture, to the point where the sequel (which, despite what the detractors claimed, was almost, if not just as, beloved as the original) reached the crazy heights that it did. It may be hard to remember this now (at least for the younger members of this site) but the first movie was actually considered kind of daring for an animated movie back in 2001. Of course, then every kids film started copying its template, and three additional sequels arrived, so it's easy to forget how fresh it was considered back in the day.

• Like 1

BOM adjustments are based off of the avg of the quarter of release vs. the current year's average (which, if the year is currently in progress, is the average of the previous quarters). Since IM3 was released in Q2 '13 and Q2's average was $8.38, adjusting it to $8.15 brings it down. ALL films released in Q2 of a given year get adjusted down by BOM. AFAIK, it has nothing to do with which films were in 3D, except to the extent that nowadays, the Q2 average is always the most 3D-inflated of any year.

I wouldn't be surprised if Q2 is the most expensive every year. Unfortunately Q prices only go back to 2009.

Inside Out and the Good Dinosaur have a better chance than Dory. I don't understand the whole argument for Dory. I may not even see it in theatres and I saw Cars freaking 2.

Because FN is one of the biggest and the best( in my opinion) animated films.

In 2023 WDAS does the crossover of all crossovers,Avengers and Guardians get sucked into a wormhole and end up in The Star Wars Galaxy.Iron Man v. Darth Vader

Actually Death Star III is laying waste to all the different Disney Princess kingdoms from Kingdom Hearts, so it is upto the wormhole-sucked Avengers, GotG, Mickey, Donald and Goofy to work together bring down the resurgent Empire, run by the new Sith Lords, Maleficent, Jafar, Ursula and Scar. Featuring Oscar nominated song "Ain't Nothing Like Me" and the Oscar winning power ballad "I'm Always Angry". Imagine them Rocket/Goofy and Hulk/Elsa team-ups. :wub:

Actually Death Star III is laying waste to all the different Disney Princess kingdoms from Kingdom Hearts, so it is upto the wormhole-sucked Avengers, GotG, Mickey, Donald and Goofy to work together bring down the resurgent Empire, run by the new Sith Lords, Maleficent, Jafar, Ursula and Scar. Featuring Oscar nominated song "Ain't Nothing Like Me" and the Oscar winning power ballad "I'm Always Angry". Imagine them Rocket/Goofy and Hulk/Elsa team-ups. :wub:

Kingdom Hearts will be a movie eventually. Good call.

But I would weep if they started doing things like Iron Man Vs Darth Vader.

• Like 1

Even if not Kingdom Hearts itself, then a KH-inspired epic movie would work just fine. The Disney villains teaming up to enslave the various princess kingdoms and Mickey, Donald and Goofy to the rescue. Replace the original game characters for the Disney heroes like Aladdin, Elsa and Simba and you have a mammoth on your hands.

But I would weep if they started doing things like Iron Man Vs Darth Vader.

I'm sure within a few years there'll be some joke AU Marvel comic crossovers, since Marvel will now be in charge of Star Wars comics once again (the rights having passed from Dark Horse).

• Like 1

BOM adjustments are based off of the avg of the quarter of release vs. the current year's average (which, if the year is currently in progress, is the average of the previous quarters). Since IM3 was released in Q2 '13 and Q2's average was $8.38, adjusting it to $8.15 brings it down. ALL films released in Q2 of a given year get adjusted down by BOM. AFAIK, it has nothing to do with which films were in 3D, except to the extent that nowadays, the Q2 average is always the most 3D-inflated of any year.

I did not know it worked in that way. Good to know :)

I'm sure within a few years there'll be some joke AU Marvel comic crossovers, since Marvel will now be in charge of Star Wars comics once again (the rights having passed from Dark Horse).

I...I'd rather a world where we relied less on branding and people tried to be unique. 

It'd be really all kinds of sad if a crossover as such were made, are we to believe that Star Wars characters exist in Marvel movies? That really means that anything ever created by them or gets bought out by them could be included. A movie like Lego worked because characters don't exist in each others worlds proper. If Disney bought Hello Kitty and then threw the cat into a movie about Darth Vader...and the most depressing thing about this scenario is that it's not past Disney to do such a thing. Iger has already created a company culture of BRAND > ANYTHING.

Thank God that at the end of the day, movies like Titanic and Avatar still won in the end. Admissions-wise (Well, even BO-wise) people from all walks of life (or rather a larger amount of such people) will only turn up to a true event phenomenon of a film that is mostly original and not a sequel or crossover or prequel or remake. 

I...I'd rather a world where we relied less on branding and people tried to be unique. 

It'd be really all kinds of sad if a crossover as such were made, are we to believe that Star Wars characters exist in Marvel movies? That really means that anything ever created by them or gets bought out by them could be included. A movie like Lego worked because characters don't exist in each others worlds proper. If Disney bought Hello Kitty and then threw the cat into a movie about Darth Vader...and the most depressing thing about this scenario is that it's not past Disney to do such a thing. Iger has already created a company culture of BRAND > ANYTHING.

I said AU. AU means alternate-universe, which means it would simply be a meaningless comic crossover for kicks. There will never be Star Wars characters in Marvel movies or Hello Kitty in Star Wars. So tone down the hyperbole.

A comic back in the day had Indiana Jones finding a crashed Millennium Falcon and revealed Chewy as Bigfoot. It was nothing more than a fun one-shot crossover that just threw two franchises together for fun.

If toy story 3 couldnt do it dory has no shot

Toy Story 3 also had significantly more competition than Shrek 2.Shrek 2 had Azkaban all summer.Toy Story 3 had Shrek 4, Marmaduke, Karate Kid, Last Airbender, Despicable Me, Sorcerer's Apprentice and Cats & Dogs 2. You take out all of that except Despicable Me and Karate Kid (the only decent ones of all of that summer's kids movies), Toy Story 3 might have beat Shrek 2's unadjusted title Dory has 6 more years of inflation - the extra $26 million might happen this time

Even if not Kingdom Hearts itself, then a KH-inspired epic movie would work just fine. The Disney villains teaming up to enslave the various princess kingdoms and Mickey, Donald and Goofy to the rescue. Replace the original game characters for the Disney heroes like Aladdin, Elsa and Simba and you have a mammoth on your hands.

Well I always thought an huge crossover of all of the Disney brands could be epic.WDASPixarStudio GhibliNightmare Before ChristmasTRONPOTCStar WarsMarvelMuppetsDisney Afternoon (as a nod to older fans) All in one movie - basically a Disney musical and an Avengers esque tent pole in one

Toy Story 3 also had significantly more competition than Shrek 2.Shrek 2 had Azkaban all summer.Toy Story 3 had Shrek 4, Marmaduke, Karate Kid, Last Airbender, Despicable Me, Sorcerer's Apprentice and Cats & Dogs 2.You take out all of that except Despicable Me and Karate Kid (the only decent ones of all of that summer's kids movies), Toy Story 3 might have beat Shrek 2's unadjusted titleDory has 6 more years of inflation - the extra $26 million might happen this time

No it didn't, Shrek 2 still had a lot of competition. Toy Story was never going to beat Shrek because it didn't have the WOM Shrek had. Toy Story 3 wasn't as loved by the GA as it is with online fanboys. Despicable me was the only film that could have hurt Toy Story 3's legs and when it was released, 'Story' only dropped 30% so no, it was never going to beat it. Oh and Karatee kid was in its 2nd weekend earning just 29m when Toy Story was released, hardly qualifies as big competition.

Edited by jessie