Olive

Weekend Numbers: GOTG - 94M (PG 180) [25.5M Sunday (Spatula) Cancel the Godzilla legs!]

I was pretty impressed that someone like James Gunn, with his rather vulgar previous filmography, so willingly embraced the kid-friendly space movie tone here; bad language aside.

If you compare GOTG to the old Saturday movie serials of the 40s and 50s, you will find that the tone, pacing and character beats are almost identical.  And this movie, more than any other Marvel film, showcases the studio's ultimate aim:  to recreate the Saturday morning serial vis-à-vis the revived studio system.  Plugging GOTG in where they did is actually rather brilliant because its the perfect engine to power things to the next level, and the 80-90m OW is the audiences stamp of approval on the approach.

• Like 1

No, that's what QT will have you believe, but he ripped off TMR and basically flipped the bird to everyone on Kill Bill.

No, it's undeniable fact. QT Openly discusses his influences and he's not trying to hide anything when he literally replicates an image.

And sorry but nobody was ripping off those horrendous Matrix sequels.

• Like 3

This is actually hilarious, that showing which played Rise of the Guardians was done 3 times before they finally put on Guardians of the Galaxy. Fun read.http://metro.co.uk/2014/08/02/cinemagoers-flock-to-see-guardians-of-the-galaxy-are-shown-rise-of-the-guardians-instead-4819196/

This story has been all over the place. I'm sure it's just me, but I don't find it funny at all. As a theater manager that sounds like hell. If I were a patron and had that happen to me, I don't think I would be enjoying it either.
  • Like 1

Hopefully it will get into the stupid 90M mark it has been haunting blockbusters this year. Michael Bay still has nightmares about that 98M OW that Paramount paramounted into 100M just to make it look better.  :ph34r:  :P

• Like 2

Guardians is a light & fun entertainment but I think it's time for Hollywood to slow down on the onslaught of SH movies coming down the pipeline. Seriously I think there is a big fatigue setting in....

This weekend surely proves that. Good call ;)

• Like 14

37.8 is an amazing number overall, but coming off 11.2M in previews...

What the fuck? I'm never going to understand box office. Period.

BOM explains it well : Shows began early (7 p.m.), and everyone is out of school (which wasn't the case with the April and May releases). Also, Marvel's most committed fans (i.e. the ones who go on Thursday night) have always been on board with Guardians; it remains to be seen if more casual viewers have bought in.

Edited by Clef Ment
  • Like 2