Neo

Gravity | Re-released on 2D and 3D January 17 | IMAX 3D on January 31! | 100M+ WW IMAX

Pacific Rim the best VFX so far? Haha I highly disagree. The Hobbit has a higher chance of winning for effects than Pacific Rim does. Also Oblivion and Man of Steel had better visual effects than Pacific Rim.

I don't know how you can not want to watch Gravity after a trailer like that. It's different to most marketing campaigns, but it just works.

Actually, I don't know how you can watch Gravity after that trailer :P.

Seriously though, by god that trailer makes me want to watch Gravity even less! I already had almost zero interest to begin with.

So half the film we're just going to watch Cuaron self-indulge in tracking shots while looking at Bullock spin around in space?

This is going to be a bomb for Cuaron.

Yeah well The Hobbit: DOS will be a main contender, but Pac Rim is the best this year so far. @vc2002, Pac Rim is much more interesting visually than Transformers ever will be, it basically looks ten thousand times better to me. 

That's just a wild guess I did. I haven't see PR because it hasnt been released in China. But from the look of it, Gravity's chance of winning looks WAY bigger. Keep in mind that a film wins best visual effects not just for how pretty the visuals look, but mostly importantly, how much the visuals enhance the storytelling and whether the visuals contain some breakthroughs. Now, we dont know the plot of Gravity yet, but from the trailers the visuals seem to weight much more in the movie than those in PR. Also, PR didn't bring anything new on the table. We've had too many films about monsters and robots before. (well I have to mention again I havent seen PR, but for those who've seen it, it's about robots fighting monsters right? :P ) But I don't remember often seeing films like Gravity on the big screen. In fact, this is probably the first film about a space rescue caused by a space shuttle crash.

Besides, we don't know if Gravity will be well-received or not, but we do know that PR definitely is not gonna be one of the judges' favorite at the Oscars. If Gravity gets much better reception (which is likely), you can kiss PR goodbye.

And forget TH2. If they didn't give it to TH1, they won't give to TH2 either.

Edited by vc2002

Amazing that tracking shots are considered 'self indulgent' now. Give me that over a shakycam zoom into a CGI thing punching another CGI thing.

Look, I'm totally against shakycam footage, and I much prefer tracking shots. However there is the opposite extreme of shakycam, which is extreme tracking shots.

With word that this film has a *20 minute* tracking shot, I don't know about you, but I'd be really annoyed at the end of those 20 minutes.

You wouldn't consider a 20 minute tracking shot self-indulgent? Okay if we exclude that for a second, someone please tell me exactly WHAT is the purpose of seeing Sandra Bullock spin in space, in CGI no less, for a large chunk of the film?

Look, I'm totally against shakycam footage, and I much prefer tracking shots. However there is the opposite extreme of shakycam, which is extreme tracking shots.

With word that this film has a *20 minute* tracking shot, I don't know about you, but I'd be really annoyed at the end of those 20 minutes.

You wouldn't consider a 20 minute tracking shot self-indulgent? Okay if we exclude that for a second, someone please tell me exactly WHAT is the purpose of seeing Sandra Bullock spin in space, in CGI no less, for a large chunk of the film?

In the script Sandra's character is just aimlessly spinning around in space for, oh, I dunno, five or six pages maybe.

• Like 1

I don't get why anyone would be against long continuous shots. The car shot in Children of Men is incredible. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfBSncUspBk

That wasn't 20 minutes long, as Gravity's scene is rumoured to be. That length in Children of Men was totally fine. For many reasons, you have to cut to a different shot eventually.

In the script Sandra's character is just aimlessly spinning around in space for, oh, I dunno, five or six pages maybe.

Seriously?

Posted Image

Edited by ACCA

Lol, it's not like there's total silence and just watching her spin or anything, there IS stuff going on too.

Honestly, are you just mad WB forgot to pay you to promote this one or something?

I'm mad that Del Toro and Cuaron decided to make the films that they did this year, that's all. Cuaron also really stretched out the production of Gravity, and really took his sweet ass time on it, for a film that's not really ambitious or really that radical.

I'm mad that Del Toro and Cuaron decided to make the films that they did this year, that's all. Cuaron also really stretched out the production of Gravity, and really took his sweet ass time on it, for a film that's not really ambitious or really that radical.

It's a free country, they can make whatever films they want.