Fancyarcher

Disney's A Wrinkle in Time | 9th March, 2018 | Frozen's Jennifer Lee writing, Ava DuVernay directing. 45% on RT

1 hour ago, JGAR4LIFE said:

So it basically sucks but because it's diverse and a movie that fits right in with today's political movements, they can't outright pan and criticize it. :/

Something like that. Their hearts are in the right place, but praising a film that does not deserve it for whatever reason is wrong for a critic.

1 hour ago, AndyK said:

True, but It'll be another nail in the coffin of original movie making..

it's not enough that something be original, it also has to be good.....

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

This has been a refrain for the last decade every time a big risk bombs. There's always going to be someone new who gets cozy with a producer and is granted the money to try something ambitious. Heck, just last week Annihilation came out and I'm sure it's earned enough respect to keep Alex Garland's career alive.

Ambition is fine, but in the end it's actual achievement that counts. I don't think prasing a bad film because it makers were ambitious accomplishes anything.

I don't want it to bomb but I hope it doesn't get pity good reviews. It's insulting to black female filmmakers to give it pity good reviews. Black female directors are perfectly capable of making good films and don't need pity reviews if they screw up. People who give it pity reviews are saying that black female directors aren't as good. They are doing the exact opposite of helping.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I love how it's fact now that this movie is awful, and unless you're EC or BoZ, no one here has seen it and the review embargo hasn't even lifted yet.

If any reason it seems like critics may be easy on it, it's because the book is widely regarded to be unfilmable. Not because Ava is black. What's wrong with giving a mixed review saying some things work, some things don't? 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I love how it's fact now that this movie is awful, and unless you're EC or BoZ, no one here has seen it and the review embargo hasn't even lifted yet.

If any reason it seems like critics may be easy on it, it's because the book is widely regarded to be unfilmable. Not because Ava is black. What's wrong with giving a mixed review saying some things work, some things don't? 

Cause most movies don't get things like the front cover of Time months in advance touting its "revolutionary" nature. That's why a lot of people are nervous about this.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MuffinMan said:

Embargo broken:

‘A Wrinkle in Time’ is a landmark film, but doesn’t always work (2.5/4)

http://tucson.com/entertainment/movies/a-wrinkle-in-time-is-a-landmark-film-but-doesn/article_54b9350c-c050-512f-a473-3203857acc3b.html

Expecting a lot of these kinds of takes.

Review has been yanked, FWIW.  

So can't really judge how fair of a review it is and whether or not they are 'going soft'.

And as @MovieMan89 there's absolutely nothing wrong with giving a review that says "this works, that didn't".

Furthermore, it's not like 2.5/4 is a score to write home about.  That's 62.5% and right at the rotten/fresh line, where it's up to the reviewer if it is fresh or not.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Porthos said:

Review has been yanked, FWIW.  

So can't really judge how fair of a review it is and whether or not they are 'going soft'.

And as @MovieMan89 there's absolutely nothing wrong with giving a review that says "this works, that didn't".

Furthermore, it's not like 2.5/4 is a score to write home about.  That's 62.5% and right at the rotten/fresh line, where it's up to the reviewer if it is fresh or not.

It's like some people here want this to be a 10% on RT or else there's some agenda. 

• Like 6

Just now, filmlover said:

Cause most movies don't get things like the front cover of Time months in advance touting its "revolutionary" nature. That's why a lot of people are nervous about this.

What annoys me, and I can now see it coming from a mile away, is folks trying to ascribe motivations to people who don't thrash the film when they give it a middling or average review.

It's entirely possible to say "A lot of this film doesn't work, but there's enough good things here to give a passing grade or make it worth seeing if its the type of film one likes."

I mean, the bitching that is probably coming over "Reviewer gave it a 2.5/4 and still gave it a fresh rating!11!11!" is gonna get real old real fast. 

• Like 5

I feel sorry for the critics that legitimately like the movie and give it a straight up positive review. Never bought into all this critics are bribed/have an agenda conspiracies. If I can accept that critics liked TLJ as much as they did in spite of how extremely divided audiences were on it, then y'all can accept that some critics will genuinely like this movie. 

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

It's like some people here want this to be a 10% on RT or else there's some agenda. 

Frankly, if there is an agenda this defensive tone won't do anything to change their minds. Indifference can turn to contempt real fast when faced with a pushy supportive faction. 

Best to just relax and let it play out. If this does get great reviews, you'll still have the last laugh.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Let me just get my fedora, and I’ll explain to you why these SJW libtard critics are complete cucks and are only going to give positive reviews because Ava’s black, and that Disney is bribing critics.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1