Fancyarcher

Disney's A Wrinkle in Time | 9th March, 2018 | Frozen's Jennifer Lee writing, Ava DuVernay directing. 45% on RT

I’m not surprised this hasn’t done too well. As someone who hasn’t read the book, the trailers were just confusing. I truly have no idea what this is about. She just suddenly seems to be in some different dimension with these weird looking people, and is given a basic “be a warrior” quest. No idea what the set-up or goal is, and that’s not gonna get a lot of people into a movie.

And I’m sorry, but I don’t like all these articles trying to justify the bad reviews or this “it doesn’t need good reviews” attitude. If we really want equal filmmaking, a film from a black woman director should be able to receive criticisms just like any film from a white man would. Anyone that thinks this was a one-and-done shot for black women to direct blockbusters is very mistaken. This just wasn’t in Ava’s personal wheelhouse.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, nick64 said:

I’m not surprised this hasn’t done too well. As someone who hasn’t read the book, the trailers were just confusing. I truly have no idea what this is about. She just suddenly seems to be in some different dimension with these weird looking people, and is given a basic “be a warrior” quest. No idea what the set-up or goal is, and that’s not gonna get a lot of people into a movie.

And I’m sorry, but I don’t like all these articles trying to justify the bad reviews or this “it doesn’t need good reviews” attitude. If we really want equal filmmaking, a film from a black woman director should be able to receive criticisms just like any film from a white man would. Anyone that thinks this was a one-and-done shot for black women to direct blockbusters is very mistaken. This just wasn’t in Ava’s personal wheelhouse.

I read the book and thought, "This does not look much like the book I read".

I agree that Ave, given her previous films were pretty much gritty dramas or documentaries, was not a good choice for a fantasy film to begin with.

7 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Eh, I don't see the film doing very good overseas. And not because of race either. Tomorrowland had a lily white cast including Clooney and it flopped big time.

The book was heavily domestic I think, when I was looking at google trend by market before the movie reviews came out it was domestic heavy:

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Barnack said:

The book was heavily domestic I think, when I was looking at google trend by market before the movie reviews came out it was domestic heavy:

Yeah, sounds like it's more of an American phenomenon than anything. And they could have gotten away with that provided it looked fun and appealing enough. 

By the way, I've never read the book and found the trailers never explained what the plot was very well. Also the visual effects sequences looked unimpressive. Imagine those things won't help in the overseas markets as well.

13 hours ago, grim22 said:

Dafuq??

13 hours ago, MrGamer said:

"The Garbage Pail Kids Movie isn't a great movie, but why does it have to be?"

Context, dudes. No exec is gonna go, "Garbage Pail Kids sucks so let us pull the plug on all white guy directed movies".

That article should be ridiculous but because the Hollywood system has traditionally been so ridiculous, it's just calling out the double standards. 

How many examples have we seen of the same people who were impatient to bash every single thing about this movie that became public go, "It's sooo unfair that people aren't giving Ready Player One a chance! :sadno:"

Supporters, especially POC and women professionals, feel the need to "protect" Ava because they live in the real world and know how these fucked up things work and how people in high positions of power are not going to take DuVernay's shortcomings as her shortcomings as an individual filmmaker, but shortcomings of minority filmmakers, especially WOC filmmakers, in general. 

Edited by Spidey Freak
  • Like 4

THR article is what's wrong with woke media and woke critics. They get a cardiac every time Madea/Kevin Hart comedy opens at the top spot, but when their darling director churns out a turkey, suddenly we must protect diversity and forgive a bad movie for being bad. Ahem, what happened to protecting Madea diversity? Oh wait, King Tyler doesn't count. But he doesn't care and keeps making successful movies without woke media protection. Which must piss them off. How dare he be a success without their patronage! 

My point is, this shit is two faced. It's clear they only care when their designated champion falters. Directors of all colors and genders will make good, bad, mediocre movies but woke media is clearly playing favorites under disguise of serving the greater cause. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, The Futurist said:

The movie is flopping criticaly and comercially in France.

Hard.

My o my, you were not exaggerating at all

http://www.cine-directors.net/boxbis.htm

http://www.zickma.fr/top-premier-jour-des-sorties-du-mercredi-14-mars-2018/

It opened out of the top 12 doing around 55% of Selma start at the french box office despite having twice as many theater... That is below a very american centrist movie like Hostiles....

Could it do less than 2M there ? Or it is just caused by looking at family movie performance mid-week and they play only during the weekend ?

35 minutes ago, Barnack said:

My o my, you were not exaggerating at all

http://www.cine-directors.net/boxbis.htm

http://www.zickma.fr/top-premier-jour-des-sorties-du-mercredi-14-mars-2018/

It opened out of the top 12 doing around 55% of Selma start at the french box office despite having twice as many theater... That is below a very american centrist movie like Hostiles....

Could it do less than 2M there ? Or it is just caused by looking at family movie performance mid-week and they play only during the weekend ?

The thing is that the books this movie is based on are unknown in Europe I would say. So, why would they care about a movie about a book that no one ever read? It's probably gonna bomb everywhere even harder than in the USA/Canada. Let's see if it tops 100M ww. 

28 minutes ago, meriodejaneiro said:

So, why would they care about a movie about a book that no one ever read? It's probably gonna bomb everywhere even harder than in the USA/Canada.

Was really not too bad OW in Russia/Ukraine, but quite low in Spain and seem worst in France.... will see when a bit more markets open, it is true that 100m international - China do sound like a unlikely figure.

10 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Thank god. Now people can stop pretending that they like a film that they don't. Her career is not over people.

I am a huge fan of Jack Kirby's Fourth World ,so I really, really, hope the Ava does a better job with this then she apparently did with A Wrinkle In Time.

But now that tweet from Patty Jenkins gets a whole new context...jenkings had to have known this was coming.

Already jokes about Ophrah Playing Granny Goodness are going around.....

1 hour ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Thank god. Now people can stop pretending that they like a film that they don't. Her career is not over people.

Nobody's career is over after a flop or two. careers mostly end due to off screen behavior - unprofessionalism, drugs, scandals, etc. And most of the time the public doesn't know that someone stopped working because they were difficult or a PR risk or whatever. In very rare cases we hear about Josh Trank

Edited by Valonqar

3 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Nobody's career is over after a flop or two

You are thinking outside director chair, nobody with a strong career is completely over with just one flop could be true even for them, but more than 50% of director that do a feature film do not make a second one no ?

1 hour ago, dudalb said:

I am a huge fan of Jack Kirby's Fourth World ,so I really, really, hope the Ava does a better job with this then she apparently did with A Wrinkle In Time.

But now that tweet from Patty Jenkins gets a whole new context...jenkings had to have known this was coming.

Already jokes about Ophrah Playing Granny Goodness are going around.....

Oprah is a distraction. Hope WB doesn't allow that to happen. Wrinkle apparently didn't work but I don't drop directors after one blunder so I'll give the Ava directed New Gods a chance.

6 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Oprah is a distraction. Hope WB doesn't allow that to happen. Wrinkle apparently didn't work but I don't drop directors after one blunder so I'll give the Ava directed New Gods a chance.

WB is a good place. Remember they gave Zack Snyder numerous chances.....

13 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

I doubt Oprah would want to play Granny Goodness, since she is just about the most evil, despicable character in the DC Universe...