eXtacy

Wednesday Numbers: GOTG 8.8 (-26%), Lucy 1.9, Herc 1.16

Yep and adjusted for average ticket price and population of NA Domestic Box Office it has made the equivalent of over $450M in 9 days (and only 1 weekend in those 9 days)

:o:worthy:Have you watched it yet?

^ This.

Other movies just don't matter in SK right now.

Its been showing for like 10 days and is already the 5th highest grossing movie of the year in SK and will probably move up to #4 today.

• Like 1

:o :worthy:Have you watched it yet?

Yeah. Good question. Is it actually a great flick?

Have tickets to see it on Saturday. Had to book themn on Monday as evening on Monday evenings some cinemas had sold out their entire days showings (scheducled at that time)

• Like 1

I think I feel like someone who didn't like Pirates of the Caribbean.

Not that Guardians has made it to $300m yet, but because it's being called "exciting" and "new" and whatnot, it seems it could be the franchise for the next generation. Nothing else right now is on that level I don't think. Except of course, there have been about a billion superhero movies recently and even more movies following the same "save the world" kind of story and there were no proper films about pirates.

I hope something new comes up soon. Something fun, not the brooding Christian Bale kind of shit and preferably not something like Tarzan, Mowgli, Peter Pan and all the other crappy reinventions coming up. 

What are you talking about? It has only opened in a handful of markets and in Russia it opened above CAP2 and THOR2. It's going to do very well in Australia this weekend. ;)

The only market it's been underperformed is SK and there's a good reason why.

It still has most major European markets to open as well as Aus (had previews) China and Japan but it has opened in 43 markets.

It's 30-50% behind CAP2 and Thor2 in almost all the Asian markets it opened - SK is just the largest.  There's also Philippines, HK, Malaysia, Thailand, Singapore.  It's also about that far behind in LA so far with Mexico, Brazil, Ecuador except for Argentina where it opened big. Thor 2 also had a strange release in RUS where it's 2nd weekend was 50% bigger than it's 1st. In the smaller European markets though it's close to Thor openings which might indicate it will be stronger there like Thor.

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 1

I think Turtles may be ahead on Fandango, though I haven't seen any percentages just a blurb in an article in TMNT thread.

Fandango announced yesterday that Turtles was ahead and outselling GI Joe which opened to $54m. On MT it should pass GOTG today (right now 30% vs 23%) which makes sense since there are previews tonight.

Fandango announced yesterday that Turtles was ahead and outselling GI Joe which opened to $54m. On MT it should pass GOTG today (right now 30% vs 23%) which makes sense since there are previews tonight.

Yeah I know that. They didn't give percentages though. Normally they will report the percentage number of presales. Maybe they will today.

• Like 1

I think Turtles may be ahead on Fandango, though I haven't seen any percentages just a blurb in an article in TMNT thread.

Aw,well either way it's great to see both go neck to neck, even if turtles pulls out on top. I still think GOTG can have a better overall weekend than Turtles.

Aw,well either way it's great to see both go neck to neck, even if turtles pulls out on top. I still think GOTG can have a better overall weekend than Turtles.

Hmm. I see Turtles opening pretty well. Every parent I know has kids desperate to see it. I expect it to beat Guardians somewhat handily this weekend. That said, I expect Guardian's to have the best second weekend of any of the $90M+ openers this year and to beat Turtles next weekend.

• Like 1

Hmm. I see Turtles opening pretty well. Every parent I know has kids desperate to see it. I expect it to beat Guardians somewhat handily this weekend. That said, I expect Guardian's to have the best second weekend of any of the $90M+ openers this year and to beat Turtles next weekend.

Guardians does have one thing going in it's favor. It still has all of the Imax theaters. That may give it the edge. But Turtles will be coming on strong. Will be interesting to see.

• Like 1

Much like what happened with CATWS & Rio 2, I think TMNT will get off to a fast start with GotG closing the gap on Saturday and/or Sunday.   It'll be an interesting weekend.

• Like 1