filmscholar

Weekend Numbers (pg119) Turtles 65M, GOTG 41.5

Hollywood Reporter weighing in. Although I fail to see the big difference between 50M+ and 52M+.

UPDATED: The pizza-loving reptiles are doing strong business at the Friday box office, and should have no trouble besting "Guardians of the Galaxy" for the weekend. 

After earning a strong $4.6 million Thursday night, Paramount and Nickelodeon Movies' Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles is continuing to perform well at the Friday box office for what looks to be a $50 million-plus debut, enough to launch a new film franchise featuring the half-shelled heroes. 

The $125 million TMNT is exceeding expectations, with Paramount originally estimating its debut between $40 million to $45 million. Michael Bay's Platinum Dunes shepherded TMNTfor Paramount and Nickelodeon in the hopes of launching a film franchise based on the well-known turtles (there's already a new television series)Some even think it could cross $52 million. Either way, the family-friendly film is now set to pass up holdover Guardians of the Galaxy and claim the No. 1 spot at the North American box office.Guardians is certainly no slouch. The Marvel Studios and Disney tentpole is expected to take in a healthy $40 million in its second weekend, pushing its global total to $300 million or more.

Edited by grim22

I just read that Step Up All In brings back actors from each of the previous sequels (I would die laughing if they actually thought Channing Tatum would ever return to this at this point). That always seemed like a last ditch effort to try and revive a sinking franchise, but with the way the grosses keep dropping, maybe they are acknowledging that this is pretty much the end, at least as far as big screen efforts go.

Should I see Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles? Is it better than Transformers 4?

That's like saying should I eat this piece of donkey shit? Does it taste better than this dog vomit?

I just read that Step Up All In brings back actors from each of the previous sequels (I would die laughing if they actually thought Channing Tatum would ever return to this at this point). That always seemed like a last ditch effort to try and revive a sinking franchise, but with the way the grosses keep dropping, maybe they are acknowledging that this is pretty much the end, at least as far as big screen efforts go.

If this pulls another 100M OS like the previous 2, I think at least OS, these movies will still receive a theatrical release. 

Hell, this one had a bigger OW here than Step Up 4, which I thought it was impossible because the box office here is in collapse. 

Edited by CJohn

Overseas is looking to save it again.