filmscholar

Weekend Numbers (pg119) Turtles 65M, GOTG 41.5

FRIDAY 5 PM, 2ND UPDATE: It’s Superheroes vs Reptiles vs Mother Nature at this weekend’s crowded domestic box office plus Helen Mirren and a fifth dance franchise as the 2014 Summer movie season limps along. No less than 4 new movies opened wide today.1. Paramount/Nickelodeon’s rebooted Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles already is overperforming for #1 and $56.5M this weekend. This overperformer began with a strong $4.6M start from 2,651 locations at Thursday late shows (which passes the biggest family hit of the summer Malificent‘s $4M) and is looking at $22.5M based on early evening grosses from 3,845 North American theaters today. Fueled by nostalgia and curiosity, Hollywood is now raising its opening weekend estimate for the $125M-costing family fare produced by Michael Bay’s Platinum Dunes banner from $40M to $55+M this weekend. So the studio has a fresh franchise. (There’s already a new TV series.) Internationally, the film opens in 17 markets, representing 25% of the international marketplace, including Russia and Mexico.2. Disney/Marvel’s blockbuster holdover Guardians Of The Galaxy (playing in 4,088 theaters) is looking at $14.2M, or -62% from a week ago. It won’t atop the film order after grossing nearly $134.3M domestically, and $226.8M globally, in less than a week. But it’s targeting $47.7M this weekend for a new cume of $182.1M.3. Warner Bros’ CGI-loaded extreme weather Into The Storm (reminiscent of the 1996 Twister) opened Thursday night with $800K in late shows. It’s bowing in 3,434 theaters today to $6M for what should be a lower-than-expected $16.5M first weekend. Heck this no-stars pic is the same stuff we can watch on cable’s Weather Channel.4. Hurt by disappointing reviews (even by AO Scott in The New York Times, which usually loves foodie movies), DreamWorks’ The Hundred-Foot Journey (2,023 theaters) wasn’t supposed to march much past $10M despite even co-producers Steven Spielberg and Oprah Winfrey personally shilling for Lasse Hallström’s film. Well, their names and appeals are working because the Franco-Indian chefs’ battle is making $4.5M today towards a bigger-than-projected $13.7M weekend.5. Still very alive, Universal’s female actioner Lucy after three weeks is earning $2.5M for an $8.3M weekend and a $96.3M cume.6. Rounding out the newcomers, Lionsgate/Summit’s Step Up All In (2,072 theaters) is the 5th installment in the cheap-to-make dance competition which the studio expected to pull in $8M. But today’s gross is $2.5M for only a $6M first weekend. Looks like this franchise is played out. MORE LATER- See more at: http://nikkifinke.com/box-office-teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-starts-strong-4-6m-thursday-late-shows-storm-800k/#sthash.qXNSTH8B.dpuf

• Like 1

Fuller is an awesome guy. He responds to his fans on Twitter and he has corresponded with me by e-mail giving me some inside information about how the business works and especially how it pertains to platinum dunes. Also sent me a signed friday the 13th shirt. Which i have in my room and it has not even been unwrap yet lol he is a really cool guy and very accessible to his fans like i said.

Speaking of Fuller being awesome I just congratulated him on twitter for Turtles. He responded in 20 minutes.
  • Like 4

Step Up is tanking. Lionsgate didn't gave much fucks either because the marketing campaign was very light. They are expecting heavy returns from OS. 

• Like 3

GOTG getting 47.7m would be AWESOME! That's even more impressive when you realize it is also going up against TMNT's numbers. :D

Edited by Mojoguy

Fuller is an awesome guy. He responds to his fans on Twitter and he has corresponded with me by e-mail giving me some inside information about how the business works and especially how it pertains to platinum dunes. Also sent me a signed friday the 13th shirt. Which i have in my room and it has not even been unwrap yet lol he is a really cool guy and very accessible to his fans like i said.

Are you serious?? Wow. That´s quite something. Props to him for being so cool.

• Like 1

APES increased 87% its second Friday. That's probably the comp.

I guess, but Apes wasn't grossing the same amount of money of course. Still hard to believe, but possible.

FRIDAY 5 PM, 2ND UPDATE: It’s Superheroes vs Reptiles vs Mother Nature at this weekend’s crowded domestic box office plus Helen Mirren and a fifth dance franchise as the 2014 Summer movie season limps along. No less than 4 new movies opened wide today.1. Paramount/Nickelodeon’s rebooted Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles already is overperforming for #1 and $56.5M this weekend. This overperformer began with a strong $4.6M start from 2,651 locations at Thursday late shows (which passes the biggest family hit of the summer Malificent‘s $4M) and is looking at $22.5M based on early evening grosses from 3,845 North American theaters today. Fueled by nostalgia and curiosity, Hollywood is now raising its opening weekend estimate for the $125M-costing family fare produced by Michael Bay’s Platinum Dunes banner from $40M to $55+M this weekend. So the studio has a fresh franchise. (There’s already a new TV series.) Internationally, the film opens in 17 markets, representing 25% of the international marketplace, including Russia and Mexico.2. Disney/Marvel’s blockbuster holdover Guardians Of The Galaxy (playing in 4,088 theaters) is looking at $14.2M, or -62% from a week ago. It won’t atop the film order after grossing nearly $134.3M domestically, and $226.8M globally, in less than a week. But it’s targeting $47.7M this weekend for a new cume of $182.1M.

:wave:

Those would be excellent numbers for both movies.