kayumanggi

Weekend numbers thread:TMNT: 28.4 GOTG: 24.7 LBC. 17.7 Ex3: 16.2

My father believes that every disaster movie (or movie in general) that sticks a bunch of people in an isolated place/situation where they have to deal with each other is basically Lifeboat. Airport is Lifeboat, The Poseidon Adventure is Lifeboat, and so on.If you're going to copy someone, might as well copy Hitchcock...

• Like 6

In other CAYOM fun, Philip Noyce (director of real-life Giver) has been directing new Jack Ryan movies with Chris Pine in the role there which consistently win Best Adapted Screenplay

Kenneth Branagh is crying somewhere

He only directed one.  :ph34r:

• Like 1

Lucy is not a good example of this - yes, "sexuality" is one of the reasons given in the info box on its R rating, but there were no sex scenes or nipples or really much of anything beyond the stock footage of animals doing it at the beginning, and how Lucy gets the keys from the guard. I'm not even sure if there was even ONE utterance of "fuck."IMO, Lucy is a perfect recent example of a film getting an R primarily because of its violence.

This is a bit behind at this point, but Chef is just about the strangest "R" rating I've seen in a while.  No violence to speak of, no sex or nudity whatsoever, and while there's some swearing its not at all excessive.  Its about the only movie I've ever seen to be rated "R" thanks to "adult themes" in the sense that a serious discussion of how the power dynamics in a restaurant would be an "adult theme".   A couple characters do yell at each other and there's some modest beer drinking, but that's seriously it.  Mrs Wrath took Wrathette #1 to it a while back (after Mrs Wrath and I had seen it together) and Wrathette #1 loved it and wasn't traumatized or corrupted in the slightest.

Digression aside, I'm glad to see its still rolling along and is almost up to $40M WW, as it occupies a spot on my top 5 movies of the year, albeit probably the #4 or #5 spot.  Anyone know what its budget was?  I vaguely recall it being $8M or so but it isn't listed on BoxOfficeMojo.

• Like 3

This is a bit behind at this point, but Chef is just about the strangest "R" rating I've seen in a while.  No violence to speak of, no sex or nudity whatsoever, and while there's some swearing its not at all excessive.  Its about the only movie I've ever seen to be rated "R" thanks to "adult themes" in the sense that a serious discussion of how the power dynamics in a restaurant would be an "adult theme".   A couple characters do yell at each other and there's some modest beer drinking, but that's seriously it.  Mrs Wrath took Wrathette #1 to it a while back (after Mrs Wrath and I had seen it together) and Wrathette #1 loved it and wasn't traumatized or corrupted in the slightest. Digression aside, I'm glad to see its still rolling along and is almost up to $40M WW, as it occupies a spot on my top 5 movies of the year, albeit probably the #4 or #5 spot.  Anyone know what its budget was?  I vaguely recall it being $8M or so but it isn't listed on BoxOfficeMojo.

Sounds basically like BOYHOOD (also rated R).
  • Like 3

Yeah, huh, I hadn't realized that Boyhood was also rated "R", I actually thought it was PG-13 but I wasn't really paying attention. Boyhood does have

Mason and his girlfriend in bed together under the covers, presumably naked but not having sex, when the sister's college roommates walks in on them.  Plus there's some really raw emotional nastiness

which might have been a bit of an issue, but I certainly agree with your point.  Boyhood comes in at #2 on my list of faves for the year, so I guess I view all those non-violent or sexual adult themes favorably.

Edited by Wrath
  • Like 1

Urgh.  Not surprised to get verification that they severely altered the Giver.  If they had released it 20 years ago as intended, it would have been fairly unique.  

I'm also sad to hear that not only did they age up the characters, but that they added a pointless romantic subplot as well?  Can anyone verify this?

I mean damn... they really did their best to make it a generic YA release, didn't they?  Not surprised that they got such low numbers.  Frankly they might have done better if they'd been a more faithful adaptation because there wasn't a huge chance of them getting the general YA market that Hunger Games and Divergent did... they could have at least avoided alienating what fanbase the book does have.

This weekend top 12 was the biggest August 3rd weekend since 2003. Had LBC opened on Friday, it would have rivaled 2003 as well. The BO isnt "weak" now like some are trying to say. Best in 11 years, thats damn good.

• Like 4

This weekend top 12 was the biggest August 3rd weekend since 2003. Had LBC opened on Friday, it would have rivaled 2003 as well. The BO isnt "weak" now like some are trying to say. Best in 11 years, thats damn good.

August "saves" summer  :lol:

It's not exactly untrue...