kayumanggi

Weekend numbers thread:TMNT: 28.4 GOTG: 24.7 LBC. 17.7 Ex3: 16.2

well other studios are still dumb enough to think summer is the only place to get big grosses. No-one learned from previous blockbusters like Alice or THG. If people want to see a film, they will see it regardless of the time of year its released. Instead they think its best to cram a shit load of blockbusters into one month failing to realise the competition will hurt their films more than the time of year will boost sales.

If most studios think that way, then it's not "common" sense. 

I remember back when CA2 was announced everyone was just flabbergasted at why they didn't go with the July 4th weekend.

• Like 1

Sun looking likeTMNT 9,GOTG 8,LBC 5.2,EX3 4.2,Giv 3.1

GOTG (+600K) while TMNT (+200K)

TMNT 28.587M (-56.4%)

GOTG 25.315 (-39.9%)

Impressive holds for both. TMNT with the 3rd best 2nd weekend hold of the 60+ summer openers behind only Maleficent and GOTG. TMNT should be able to leg it's way to 180M and 200M wouldn't shock me. As for GOTG it's only 200K+ behind Cap's 3rd weekend despite that weekend being inflated by Easter. At this point, I think 300M is happening!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

• Like 10

TMNT 28.587M (-56.4%)

GOTG 25.315 (-39.9%)

Impressive holds for both. TMNT with the 3rd best 2nd weekend hold of the 60+ summer openers behind only Maleficent and GOTG. TMNT should be able to leg it's way to 180M and 200M wouldn't shock me. As for GOTG it's only 200K+ behind Cap's 3rd weekend despite that weekend being inflated by Easter. At this point, I think 300M is happening!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

I agree with your post. :) :)

Great for Turtles.  And Amazing hold for Guardians.  Domestic Summer Crowned locked but I still think 300 might be to far to get too.  EX3 had a very weak opening. Though still Top 10 of Stallone's career openings it should of cleared 20 Million but the leak and Competition just was too much.  "The Giver" was cheap to make but the YA genre is not bullet proof.  "Let's Be Cops" based on it's budget had a great Opening weekend. Overall August just keep going along, very solid month.  

Where do most expect Guardians gross to be after Labor Day Monday?

If all goes well this weekend (it gets a $15.5M+ gross in its 4th weekend) and Labor Day weekend (it increases in its 4-day portion from its 4th weekend), I have it at around $275M.

TMNT 28.587M (-56.4%)

GOTG 25.315 (-39.9%)

I love your optimism. But regardless where GOTG ends up, it's certainly one of the greatest box office surprises in years.

• Like 1

If Guardians continues to play like Skyfall (Which was at $221m at the end of its third weekend, it could get to $300m.) Yes, weekends won't be as good (But it dropped to $16.5m in its fourth weeek, so the gap will be shorter, and Guardians still has plenty of summer weekdays left. $300m isn't going to be too easy, but it may benefit from a really lousy September.

• Like 1

I love your optimism. But regardless where GOTG ends up, it's certainly one of the greatest box office surprises in years.

I'm not that surprised at Guardians. Ever since the beginning of the year I thought of it as a wild card meaning I wouldn't have been surprised to see it pull a Pacific Rim and also wouldn't have been surprised to see it clear 300m.
  • Like 1

If Guardians continues to play like Skyfall (Which was at $221m at the end of its third weekend, it could get to $300m.) Yes, weekends won't be as good (But it dropped to $16.5m in its fourth weeek, so the gap will be shorter, and Guardians still has plenty of summer weekdays left. $300m isn't going to be too easy, but it may benefit from a really lousy September.

If GOTG merely does as well as Cap 1 from here it gets to 285+. The way it's performing, you'd think 15m extra is feasible.

Sweet. Glad to see both go up. I saw Guardians again with some friends who were interested and there were quite a bit of folks there for a 9:50 Sunday night show.

So TMNT is pretty much going to be this years WWZ as far as box office goes. An opening in the high $60s, the usual second weekend drop for these types of films and a leggy run after to around $200 million.

Not bad, August is really killing the rest of the summer, IMO.

Edited by Mango
  • Like 2

I wouldn't call GotG one of the greatest box office surprises in years. Frozen, Gravity, Skyfall, and THG, and arguably the Avengers were all bigger BO surprises.

A James Bond film doing 300m+ is not as big of a surprise as a 2nd tier Marvel property that NO ONE heard of doing close to 300m when two of its biggest names did less than 200 with their first films. Bond was twice as big as Skyfall in the franchise's prime. Frozen had the Tangled effect, Gravity had star power, Avengers had that build up. The only one I 100% agree with is THG.

• Like 6

A few other comparisons:

If it legs out as TDKR did after its fifth weekend (Guardians actually dropped less), it will get to $310m.

If it follows TDK (may be a bit harder), it will get to around $318m.

If it follows RotPotA (which was harmed by an intense September and a hurricane in late august), it will get to $290.5m

• Like 3