Olive

Weekend Numbers (4 day estimates pg 35)

Dragon 2 boggles my mind in retrospect. Why DID everyone (including me) think it could pass $300M? I am asking this in all seriousness.

Because it was the only major animated film for kids all summer long (other than Planes, which isn't really direct competiton, because it appeals to a much more limited demographic).

But in lieu of HTTYD2 massively overperforming due to being the only animated film, other movies stepped in and filled the kids film void, most specifically Maleficent. And now GOTG and TMNT have done so at the end of the summer too.

• Like 1

I thought Dragon 2 would do 275-300 domestic because it was such a superb kids animation film, and because something simple like Despicable Me 2 earned 330 domestic last summer with a 75% score on RT.  I figured all of the 6 year old kids who showed up for that one would show up for something far superior like Dragon 2 - but I guess the Dragon series is aimed at a more adult/teen/more thoughtful audience.

I was so sure that dragon 2 would win the summer. I thought some people people were over predicting it with 350 million plus predicts, but I was so sure it would still win the summer. To not even be in the top 8 with the underwhelming box office this summer has had is really disappointing.

At least Liotta has the occasional Killing Them Softly or The Place Beyond the Pines he could appear in. Then again, Judd was in Dolphin Tale and apparently in Divergent which were at least successful in the BO. But as an actress she's been completely wasted in the 7 years since her amazing performance in Bug. Don't even get me started on Pantoliano

Having an amazing performance in a movie only seen by critics and hardcore cinephiles doesn t do much for an actress career.

I was so sure that dragon 2 would win the summer. I thought some people people were over predicting it with 350 million plus predicts, but I was so sure it would still win the summer. To not even be in the top 8 with the underwhelming box office this summer has had is really disappointing.

It's actually kinda funny

Earlier in this thread people were talking about the biggest bombs of the year. Calculating losses strictly as box office revenue minus production and marketing, and calculating revenue using the "55% US, 25% China, 40% other" formula, none of the movies mentioned was a bigger bomb than Transcendence. Even if the Expendables and Sin City had been pulled from all theaters after Thursday, they still would have lost slightly less than Transcendence did:

Budget US China Other Net
Transcendence 135 23.02 20.28 59.74 -93.37
Legends of Oz 85 8.46   2.94 -79.17
Winter's Tale 80 12.60   18.20 -65.79
Sabotage 55 10.51   7.00 -46.42
Expendables 3 125 29.64   50.40 -88.54
Sin City 2 90 8.59   4.63 -83.42
  • Like 3

Earlier in this thread people were talking about the biggest bombs of the year. Calculating losses strictly as box office revenue minus production and marketing, and calculating revenue using the "55% US, 25% China, 40% other" formula, none of the movies mentioned was a bigger bomb than Transcendence. Even if the Expendables and Sin City had been pulled from all theaters after Thursday, they still would have lost slightly less than Transcendence did:

Budget US China Other Net Transcendence 135 23.02 20.28 59.74 -93.37 Legends of Oz 85 8.46 2.94 -79.17 Winter's Tale 80 12.60 18.20 -65.79 Sabotage 55 10.51 7.00 -46.42 Expendables 3 125 29.64 50.40 -88.

54 Sin City 2 90 8.59 4.63 -83.42

How did you make this

• Like 1

Every one of your posts reads the same.  :rolleyes:

I start to think it might be Zodfrey / Zodfreyy / Zodfreyyy / Zodfreyyyy at IMDb

Ray Subers' summer forecast prediction for GOTG  :ph34r:

http://boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=3826&p=.htm

That was before he got to watch th movie. The next estimates after watching GotG looked very much in another way. He was the one who then guessed nearest to th e real OW with $80m

:lol:

s. answer #2

Ray's forecast has been off all summer. The misses greatly outnumber the hits.

He was often too high, but especially GotG... the others had it also wrong and he adjusted... s. answer #2

I think at that time most people expected it to land in that range, if not lower.

Agree :)

• Like 1

By Shawn Robbins

August 30 Update: Disney reports that Guardians of the Galaxy officially became the year's top domestic grosser on Friday with another $3.85 million added to its haul, off just 20 percent from last Friday, as it again claimed first place at the start of its fifth weekend. That gives the film $262.1 million overall so far, surpassing Captain America: The Winter Soldier's final tally of $259.8 million. Through the same point in release (29 days), Guardians is now 13 percent ahead of the pace of Winter Soldier and just 1.6 percent behind that of 2008's original Iron Man.

Based on its current trajectory, and depending on post-Labor Day holds (when the market notoriously drops as summer ends), there's a considerable chance of Guardians reaching $300 million in North America before the end of its run. While at least one holiday release (possibly two or three) will likely take the yearly crown away in the end, there's no denying how impressive Guardians' run has become.

• Like 1