RyneOh1040

Weekend Numbers (NGD 24.5M)

Prime Will Smith couldn't have made Under the Skin anything more than what it was- an incredibly small, weird arthouse release. Leo flopped with J. Edgar. Wahlberg, Damon, Gosling, and other big male stars have had countless flops over recent years. Not everything is going to be a huge hit.

Hence my multiple factor argument. Julia Roberts biggest flop was Mary Reilly, why ? Because she didn t smile one time in the movie and the audiences were in love with Roberts giant big smile.
  • Like 1

Of course Scarjo is a star but the success of a movie is always a combination of multiple factors.Her fame did nothing for a difficult art house film like Under the Skin and she actually promoted this one a little bit.But there s no doubt Scarjo ´s star is burning bright right now

Her star power is probably what made Under The Skin a $2m movie at the B.O instead of $200,000 but agreed that in terms of box office concept and genre usually trump star power - but that doesn't mean that star power doesn't contribute to box office - especially on the opening w/e.

How is Sin City doing OS ? A little better than dom ?

Not great.  First one did $84 OS.

It did better in Russia with a $7m total but the market wasn't nearly as big in 2005.  In the UK it opened to less than half of what  the first did and dropped like a rock so it will end up doing less total than the first opened to ($4.5m).  Ending with about $2.8m total vs $13m for the first.

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 1

I disagree. Lucy is a horrible movie. It's an interesting concept that goes nowhere. After the first few weeks, I think the rest of its leggy BO run is mostly because of Scar Jo.

I think you are being blinded by hate.

• Like 2

They marketed the hell out of Rocket and Groot for this release.  One thing that the Japanese definitely don't seem to mind is oddball characters.

The country that invented hentai and´bukkake made a triumph to Frozen.Go figure.
  • Like 2

It s still funny that Lucy was succesful when the lead actress of the movie did ZERO promo. It is Besson himself which took care of it all over the world.

Mo - one knows who the fuck Besson is so I doubt his name is what made it big worldwide.
  • Like 2