Neo

Jason Bourne | 7.29.2016 | One week IMAX release on August 26 thanks to Ben Hur flopping

1 minute ago, marveldcfox said:

Nowadays, it does. People have lost the ability to make up their own mind. Always need to be spoon fed or validated.

People are tired of spending 10 or 12 bucks on movies that turn out to be shit.

You could watch dozens of movies and tv shows on Netflix for that price.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

I wonder how many movie goers listen to critics.

Enough to knock down the opening weekend from 58 m to 48 m?

Ben Fritz wrote about review aggregation in the WSJ. He mentions that one third of avid moviegoers and a smaller share of casual moviegoers are familiar with Rotten Tomatoes. Statistical analyses suggest that the effects of reviews are clearer for legs/multiplier than opening weekend.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, marveldcfox said:

I thought this would get raves, but with the muted marketing and mixed reviews, this will struggle. 

Oh well. What a horrible year for sequels of old/long running movie franchises. They either were critical flops or box-office flops or both. Nothing knocked it out of the park.

Finding Dory? Civil War?

1 minute ago, grey ghost said:

People are tired of spending 10 or 12 bucks on movies that turn out to be shit.

You could watch dozens of movies and tv shows on Netflix for that price.

I have to say the content on Neflix and TV is so much more satisfying than movies. They are doing genre stuff wayyyyyy better.

51 minutes ago, 4815162342 said:

An underrated movie :ph34r:

It wasn't horrible by any means. Just lacked something.  Like good fight scenes for one.  They built Lars up like he was gonna be wreckin' shit and he and Aaron was gonna have this big showdown. But he met his demise in the lamest way possible, getting kicked off his motorcycle by Rachel Weisz character, Dr. Whats-Her-Name.  I did think she was a really good character though.

20 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Google is changing the game.

I am not sure how old this feature is but if you type any movie in Google, you have RT score, MC score and IMDB score without even asking.

Edited by The Futurist

1 minute ago, 4815162342 said:

But it had legend Oscar chilling. And an Edward Norton appearance.

Dat Norton part in Bourne 4 was suspected to be an old contract he signed with the studio and he owned them one last movie.

Edited by The Futurist

I think RT works more as a sort of tangible indicator of how good word of mouth is going to be than an influence on moviegoers in itself. If critics don't like a movie chances are audiences aren't going to either and vice versa

Sent from my Z820 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

3 hours ago, grey ghost said:

Nah. This is going to hit the same demo sweet spot as LOT and the GA didn't give two craps what critics said about that one.  People just want to watch an entertaining action popcorn flick sometimes and this will do just fine.

• Like 5

It is odd reading the reviewers that are critical of the Greengrass style of filming, with the handheld camera and shaky style, as if this is a new development. He already did this with two other Bourne movies - is it that unexpected? Of course, I can understand if that style is just not for you.

To his credit, one reviewer acknowledged that the Bourne franchise just doesn't seem to be for him as he hasn't liked any of the Greengrass Bourne movies:

• "It started as a strong modern day spy franchise, but once Paul Greengrass took over it became everything that’s wrong with action movies. People who love his shakycam will get more of that in Jason Bourne, and I guess it’s time for me to admit this is not a franchise for me."

I quite enjoyed both Supremacy and Ultimatum, so if this is the case, and it's mostly a situation where this film just doesn't feel "fresh" or as necessary after all we've seen with Bourne and

Spoiler

his memory of everything being back

, then I think I will enjoy it, though perhaps not as much as the original three.

Peace,

Mike

• Like 2