Godot

Weekend Thread. Friday Numbers: Equalizer 12.8-14.5, Box 5.6-6.8m, Maze 4 (Rth)

Isn't 12.8 M - 14.0 enough to take the record?

Since Sunday will see a 40-50% drop, it would need at least 16M to take the record. With 14.5, it could be (best case)

17.4 (20% increase from Friday including midnights)

41.5M which would be short of the record.

• Like 2

Insidious Chapter 2 had a bigger Friday of $18m and did $41m OW so Equalizer may fall short but then again Insidious was frontloaded,

Dude.....u cant compare a horror sequel to a Denzel movie.

• Like 7

Equalizer was solid! Denzel is a BAMF, but you already knew that. Lots of smiles walking out, one lady was raving, she loved the violence. It was also maybe 95% older white. I guess they came more for the "Equalizer" name. Maybe? Idk? Maybe they just love Denzel? Good movie, hopefully it can have some sexy BO.

Any Friday #s?

• Like 3

Coraline and Paranorman both had about 4.5m OD's, so that OD range means BoxTrolls should easily be Laika's biggest opener. Probably around 22m or so which would be stop motion's first 20m opener. I knew the marketing looked appealing to kids.

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 4

Denzel Washington is one of the most (if not the most) consistent domestic box office draws out there. His movies usually tend to open above 20m, so Equalizer opening strong is no surprise.

The fact that he's almost 60 (and doesn't look it), makes it especially incredible.

At this point Denzel is basically his own brand.

Edited by Pokearcher
  • Like 4

The Equalizer is a movie that promised a very certain thing and delivered on that very certain thing. Denzel is such a fine actor (and the ensemble is very good too) and Fuqua knows how to direct, so it's more stylish and standout than other movies of this type. With 13.2 mill, it'd do about 37 million, by my (poor) calculation- not the record I predicted, but a massive September success. 

• Like 1

I dont think Denzels ever done a sequel before either.

Nope. Inside Man 2 almost got made but ended up in development hell before eventually getting canned.

Denzel has said in interviews he has little interest in doing sequels, and I think he's smart for not doing them (although there's obliviously a first for everyone).

• Like 1

http://screenrant.com/denzel-washington-equalizer-set-interview/

The Equalizer seems to have sequel potential, which is not something that I would typically associate with you. Is that something you’re interested in?

Denzel Washington: No. No, everybody else is, but I’m not. I’m like, let’s make one- you don’t have a sequel without a good film, so there’s no point in thinking about sequels. I’m just trying to be a part of making the best film that I can.

So you weren’t looking for a potential franchise?

Denzel Washington: No, never have. I don’t know what that is. Obviously I guess when you have a name, Spider-Man or something, some name brand thing there is that potential. I mean you don’t look at Training Day and go I’m going to do Training Day 2. I don’t look at it that way, I never have.

Denzel has never really been interested in sequels, but he doesn't necessarily hate them, he just doesn't look at a script and think "franchise"

Edited by Pokearcher
  • Like 5

I like Denzel's stance on sequels. It is refreshing to see an actor who has never been looking to be apart of a franchise.

Agreed. I think a large part of his success is that he's never had to done / rely on a 100m franchise, just himself and his name.

Edited by Pokearcher
  • Like 3

Agreed. I think a large part of his success is that he's never had to done / rely on a 100m franchise, just himself and his name.

Yeah, he just makes good or at least entertaining movies and people go and see them mainly because of him.

• Like 2