grim22

Baywatch | May 26 2017 | Dwayne Johnson, Zac Efron, Alexandra Daddario, Priyanka Chopra | First Trailer on Page 13

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/review/baywatch-review-1005980

A big-screen reboot so lifeless and mechanical that even its end-credits out-takes are not amusing, Baywatch proves much less than the sum of its undeniably attractive body parts.

http://variety.com/2017/film/reviews/baywatch-review-dwayne-johnson-zac-efron-1202428442/

Zac Efron, with his abs so sculpted he’s gone way past a six-pack (it’s more like a checker board), has figured out a way to turn being the beefcake butt of the joke into a shaggy dumb/smart style. That, however, is a joke that could get old fast. And it’s worth noting: In the second half of “Baywatch,” Johnson’s Mitch gets knocked out of the action for a while, and when he does, the movie goes thud. Was it really The Rock who was holding it all together? That and our nostalgic affection for “Baywatch,” which in a movie like this one becomes a form of living off vapors.

Well, glad I was leaning towards Rough Night anyway.

4 hours ago, kowhite said:

A real movie star turns crap into box office.  That's the mark of a true star.  Will Smith looking at you.

That being said...sorry, this looks amusing.  And I hear it has titties.

I'm afraid those kinds of stars are a dying breed these days. 

Looks like this is about to get trashed harder then Pirates. Had no intentions in seeing it in theaters anyway but wasn't expecting these harsh reviews either.

Looks like the landscape is wide open for Wonder Woman if Pirates fails and it gets strong reviews.

Yeah, this is getting panned across the board. Oof. Can't say I'm surprised since I've been getting a bad feeling about this movie for a while but oof.

Hopefully Dwayne Johnson's paycheck allowed him to buy himself a nice beach home or something. And Zac Efron needs an intervention.

4 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Yeah, this is getting panned across the board. Oof. Can't say I'm surprised since I've been getting a bad feeling about this movie for a while but oof.

Hopefully Dwayne Johnson's paycheck allowed him to buy himself a nice beach home or something. And Zac Efron needs an intervention.

Yeah that sucks he's not in it for a good portion either. Don't think Efron can carry a movie. Guess this isn't going to be like 21 Jump Street/22 Jump Street.

1 minute ago, Hatebox said:

Jesus. Efron really became critical poison while no-one was looking.

It's just the movies he's making that suck. I'm ready for this "lead in crappy comedies" phase of his career to be over. Hopefully The Greatest Showman and that Ted Bundy movie mark the beginning of a new era.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mikasa Ackerman said:

This BO should be interesting. How far can The Rock's star power and 90s nostalgia carry this film? These reviews are not good at all.

To the extent they were relying on it at all, I'm not seeing any nostalgia happening. The TV show may have had big ratings but it wasn't beloved. The Rock's star power is carrying all the box office potential.

3 minutes ago, somebody85 said:

I really believe that comedy is the stalest genre in film right now. Trying to remember the last good one and am drawing a blank.

Judd Apatow has a lot to answer for. Sticking a camera in a room and letting everyone improvise is a lousy method unless your actors have the greatness of a Christopher Guest ensemble.

(Before anyone says it: yeah, Ghostbusters did that too but it only worked once.)

Edited by Hatebox
  • Like 2

Just now, filmlover said:

Bad Moms.

I know a lot of people liked that but I actually turned that off right around the grocery store scene with the actress who is in a lot of other Judd Appatow (sp?) comedies. I think they were all getting drunk or something.

I hated it. It was co cringey.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, That One Valerian said:

Guardians 2 was technically a comedy :ph34r: 

I can't remember 90% of the jokes from it, if it was. Drax making fun of Mantis can only go so far and the Yondu line everyone loved didn't do much for me for some reason.

Even though I thought it was fun, that was one it's weakest aspects.