grim22

Baywatch | May 26 2017 | Dwayne Johnson, Zac Efron, Alexandra Daddario, Priyanka Chopra | First Trailer on Page 13

4 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

Judd Apatow has a lot to answer for. Sticking a camera in a room and letting everyone improvise is a lousy method unless your actors have the greatness of a Christopher Guest ensemble.

(Before anyone says it: yeah, Ghostbusters did that too but it only worked once.)

Yeah but a few of his early films like 40 Year Old Virgin still hold up....now though, they are all so forgettable. It's like why bother even watching them when they all do the same thing.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, somebody85 said:

I can't remember 90% of the jokes from it, if it was. Drax making fun of Mantis can only go so far and the Yondu line everyone loved didn't do much for me for some reason.

Even though I thought it was fun, that was one it's weakest aspects.

King Arthur was pretty funny too :).

• Like 2

1 minute ago, somebody85 said:

Yeah but a few of his early films like 40 Year Old Virgin still hold up....now though, they are all so forgettable. It's like why bother even watching them when they all do the same thing.

It's ok. There's a moderately amusing 90 minute movie within the 120 minute one we got — another Apatow staple.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hatebox said:

It's ok. There's a moderately amusing 90 minute movie within the 120 minute one we got — another Apatow staple.

I agree, I can't really think of any other film of his besides Knocked Up that changed the landscape of comedy at the time. But then the sequel to that was almost depressing because it was so much arguing and fighting. I think there was another Paul Rudd too one that had a Dungeons and Dragons type theme (forgot what it was called).

I think Sausage Party was the last one comedy I really liked. A lot of the same material but at least it had more to say. 

Oh, The Nice Guys! That was the last good one besides that. Lately I've found gags in non comedic movies funnier then the genre itself. 

• Like 1

I love You, Man

Role Models (That's the Paul Rudd/ D&D movie)

Superbad

The Other Guys

Trainwreck

This Is 40

Popstar: Never Stop Stopping

All great comedy films, so it's not all bad....

Unfortunately, only a few of these are recent films, so that's saying something...

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, UNDERDOG said:

I love You, Man

Role Models (That's the Paul Rudd/ D&D movie)

Superbad

The Other Guys

Trainwreck

This Is 40

Popstar: Never Stop Stopping

All great comedy films, so it's not all bad....

Unfortunately, only a few of these are recent films, so that's saying something...

No to The Other Guys. I just watched it last night and it barely got a few chuckles from me early on.

• Like 1

I'll take it...30 minutes of hilarity in a 2 hour movie is about the ratio the tv show gave me:)...

Stupidly entertaining...for a while.

May 23, 2017 | Full Review…
v1.YzsyNzE4O2c7MTczMjU7MTIwMDsxNTA7MTUw
 Top Critic

Has its share of hilarious moments but never fully commits to the absurd, and even the cleverest jokes get so many callbacks, they're beating a dead seahorse.

May 23, 2017 | Rating: 2/4 | Full Review…
user.none.tmb.jpg
 Top Critic

Just now, Mockingjay Raphael said:

LMFAO at these reviews, can't say that I'm surprised, although. Really hope that Effron's career will be over now, he's the classic case of white privilege. 

WTF, what privilege? The guy has been working since he was a kid

7 minutes ago, Mockingjay Raphael said:

LMFAO at these reviews, can't say that I'm surprised, although. Really hope that Effron's career will be over now, he's the classic case of white privilege. 

de4ab13da8269e523912427dd0906017_puzzled

• Like 2

Y'know, I don't like Efron at all, but even I don't feel like making a "white privilege" argument for him when the kind of roles he's getting consist of second billing to the Rock in a terrible Baywatch movie.

This movie sounds about as fun as a root canal, that's not a great "privilege".

• Like 2

1 hour ago, keysersoze123 said:

Ouch. I dont think even Rock can pull this one out of gutter. its bombing for sure.

I doubt The Rock would get any of the blame if this bombs, especially when he's apparently sidelined for a good portion of it. Efron would be the fall guy since they can just point to all of the duds he's done since Neighbors (including the notorious We Are Your Friends, one of the least-attended wide studio releases of all time) and say that he dragged Dwayne down with him.

• Like 2