grim22

Weekend Estimates: Annabelle - 37.2M | Gone Girl - 38M | Equalizer - 19M | Maze Runner - 12M | Left Behind - 6.8M

Annabelle didn't even needed marketing. Nobody witness the epic reactions of the crowds to the trailer? People weren't scared, people were super excited because it was the doll from The Conjuring. I saw the trailer in theaters and the crowd started to talk a lot and everyone was excited. Plus, I also run a popular facebook page about movies and when I posted the first poster/trailer from Annabelle it had one of the biggest reactions with comments/likes in the last few weeks. 

It's been marketed much better than all the other horror films this year, plus the trailer had a couple good scares.

I dont think so. The tv spots have been more unintentionally funny than scary. (imo) I guess people have to get their kicks somewhere. 

• Like 1

The Conjuring was such a  disappointment. My theory is that it had such good ratings only because it had a "good" ending unlike most horror movies that usually kill off one or more of their main characters in the end. Anyway good for Annabelle . The horror genre needed a break this year.

Aw man, I actually thought sub-30 for Gone girl for the weekend  :ph34r:  oops!!!

I'm really glad it's doing this well. The audience will like skew older, so it will probably have a good Friday/weekend multiplier. I don't know about 50M, but if that 15-17M Friday holds, than 40 is (probably) locked.

I don't care so much about Annabelle, but good for it doing well! 2 films opening over 30M same weekend in October is really impressive, has that happened before?

The Conjuring was such a  disappointment. My theory is that it had such good ratings only because it had a "good" ending unlike most horror movies that usually kill off one or more of their main characters in the end. Anyway good for Annabelle . The horror genre needed a break this year.

It had good ratings because it's an excellent film.

• Like 5

I think Affleck's presence did help Gone Girl a smidgen. Runner Runner came and went with barely anyone noticing because of Gravity last year, so most people probably consider this the first movie he's done since Argo (well, technically it is the first movie he's made since Argo's Oscar glory, but you know what I mean).

• Like 1

Aw man, I actually thought sub-30 for Gone girl for the weekend  :ph34r:  oops!!!

I'm really glad it's doing this well. The audience will like skew older, so it will probably have a good Friday/weekend multiplier. I don't know about 50M, but if that 15-17M Friday holds, than 40 is (probably) locked.

I don't care so much about Annabelle, but good for it doing well! 2 films opening over 30M same weekend in October is really impressive, has that happened before?

Yeah. The last time it happened was 2008. 

High School Musical 3 -42m

Saw V-30m

• Like 1