grim22

Weekend Estimates: Annabelle - 37.2M | Gone Girl - 38M | Equalizer - 19M | Maze Runner - 12M | Left Behind - 6.8M

The worst part about The Good Lie number is that Reese Witherspoon's performance may be overlooked come Oscar time. The Academy likes movies which got at least some box office traction.

Eh, she's going to get some notice for Wild, anyway. That film shouldn't have any trouble finding an audience.

• Like 3

If Gone Girl wins best picture, Reese Witherspoon will win an oscar for producing...she produced it...had no idea until I saw it today.

• Like 4

Well this is shaping up to be an awesome movie weekend!

-Great openings for Gone Girl and Annabelle

-Great hold for GOTG

-Surprisingly good hold for Maze Runner

-Even The Equalizer is on target for a good drop (possibly under 50%), which is really good going up against GG and Annbelle, two other big R-rated openers.

Surprising because...?

• Like 3

I agree with people blaming Paramount for MW&C debacle. I know that the movie doesn't have great reviews but it has a good cast and it has a story they can sell. A $2.5k PTA for an IFC/Magnolia/Cinedigm VOD/Itunes movies is perfectly acceptable but a $2.5k average for a major studio backed movie with plans of nationwide release is horrible.

Is it possible that if Annabelle opens bigger than Conjuring overseas, that it will hurt Conjuring 2? (Assuming the WOM isn't anywhere near as good?) Perhaps it might even put a small dent in Conjuring 2 domestically too?

yes, and it scares me

The scene in Gone Girl where Rosamund Pike 

waits for Neil Patrick Harris to ejaculate inside her and then grabs the box cutter and slits his throat open

is one of the best of the decade. 

I agree. It's the kinda scene that would've given Paul Verhoeven a boner.

• Like 1

Does anyone know why Rosamund Pike put the

champagne bottle up her vagina

I got distracted.

I think it was to make it look like forced entry just to reinforce how much she'd been raped. but she mentions that he sodomised her to the police later, so maybe she shoved it up her ass.

• Like 1