CJohn

Maze Runner: The Death Cure | Jan 26 2018 | Final Trailer on Page 18

18 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Meh, I was hoping for better but it sounds like if you liked the others you'll like this one and Ball really delivers on the action 

Ball really deserves to get a 150M dollar movie. What he did with 34M with Maze Runner was awesome, and regardless of what you think of Scorch Trials, it's hard to believe that thing was only a 60M film.

Seems like the problems critics are having is the inherent story of the series. And since I didn't have a problem with it when reading the books, I'm sure it won't bother me here. Rest of the film seems pretty competent/really good based on reviews so I'm excited. 

Just some stuff from IndiWire's review.

''The crux of “The Death Cure” is that WCKD have captured 28 immune kids and locked them in a laboratory somewhere in a gleaming metropolis referred to as The Last City (imagine a cross between downtown Vancouver and Midgar from “Final Fantasy VII”).'' Hahaha yea go Vancouver :P 

''The film’s ass-kicker of an option sequence finds Ball straight up humiliating anything from the last three “Fast & Furious” movies (and even evoking “Fury Road” during its finest moments), as a wild-haired Barry Pepper leads Thomas on a high-speed train robbery

Edited by DAJK
  • Like 4

10 minutes ago, DAJK said:

What he did with 34M with Maze Runner was awesome

He had 41.1m with a really inexpensive cast:

https://fastlane.louisianaeconomicdevelopment.com/Film/FilmSearchDetails.aspx?ProjNum=gd8s2vFuLO%40klCT07kc3DQ%3d%3d

It was good, but the tricks used because of the limited resource did show in the script quite a bit (a lot of footage was the same setting if I remember correctly)

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, marveldcfox said:

all this needed was the marvel studios or lucasfilm logo to get a 70+% on RT from critics. HARD to please critics if you are a pg-13 aCtion packed effects movie and don't have either of those logos. Some get approval if nostalgia is there or pc climate. 

Was a bit surprised by how littler counter example I was able to find looking at that list:

http://www.imdb.com/search/title?title_type=feature&release_date=2014-01-01,&genres=action&certificates=US%3Apg_13&sort=user_rating,desc&page=1&ref_=adv_prv

Almost everything are sequels to start with obviously (Is Mission Impossible already have some nostalgia factor in it ? I think quality is there to say it would easily have got 70% without it too)

1 hour ago, John Marston said:

I respect this franchise a lot for having such reasonable budgets. Imagine if other franchise starters were able to be so economical 

As an audience member with theater ticket being all the same cost, give me the bigger budget you can ? 

We would loose a lot of spectacle, sets, locations and go to very confined story if others franchise starter were able to be so economical, while gaining I imagine a bit of creative freedom into that more limited sandbox for some involved.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Tree Billboards said:

kaya is fit. Whoever was casting director for Skins did a bang up job - they found Nicholas Hoult, Dev Patel, Kaya Scoledario, Daniel Kayuuuuuuua, and Jack O'Connell

I remember actually reading that story that when Kaya was 14 she was encouraged to go to the Skins audition by a teacher of hers but when she got there she chose her mind. While getting out of the building she asked for a cigarrete from the director without knowing it was him and he picked her instantly after they talked a bit. I guess luck is with those that deserve it...