Noctis

La La Land | Now Playing | Record-Tieing 14 Oscar Noms and Record-Breaking 16 BOFFY Noms

15 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I think this is doing similar numbers to American Hustle tbh.

We ll see.

Hollywood Reporter just told the story that the movie tested badly, this is definitely not the American/Broadway sensiblity for this type of movies (which is good because it makes it unique) so how far it will connect with audiences remains a question mark IMO.

But the movie has a lot going for it there s no denying that.

1 hour ago, The Futurist said:

We ll see.

Hollywood Reporter just told the story that the movie tested badly, this is definitely not the American/Broadway sensiblity for this type of movies (which is good because it makes it unique) so how far it will connect with audiences remains a question mark IMO.

But the movie has a lot going for it there s no denying that.

I mean, it won the Audience Award at TIFF which is a pretty good indication of how audiences are responding to it.

I'm very very excited for La La Land but let's not call 100M for this a foregone conclusion 1.5 month before it opens.

It has many things going for it:

-Opening as counter-programming to a huge franchise movie that has worked for many movies in the past.

-2 weeks of holidays.

-Oscar front-runner status and a very good shot to sweep the awards season.

-Great reviews and a tiff audience award that suggest it will play well with general audiences.

But:

-There's definately a significant part of general audiences that just hate musicals. No matter how good the trailer or the reviews are they'll reject it sight unseen.

-The only musical that isn't based on a broadway smash hit or a recognizable brand (HSM3, Enchanted, Muppets) and achieved mainstream success during the last 30 years was Moulin Rouge. One in the last three decades and even that one was mostly covering famous songs.

Also American Hustle is not a great comparison for this, expectacions-wise. Despite the similar release date and budget, Hustle was the BO peak of DOR's hot streak and it had way more starpower than La La Land. I agree that it will most likely be the big crowdpleaser that everyone's expecting it to be, but I won't be shocked if it "just" does Imitation Game money.

I presume this was the Hollywood Reporter story Futurist meant with the 'not testing well' line.  That's an interesting take-away from the article:  http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/features/la-la-land-unrealistic-hollywood-dream-critical-acclaim-942793

la_la_land_-_splash_-_2016.jpg

How 'La La Land' Went From First-Screening Stumbles to Hollywood Ending

• Like 3

This trailer is one of the most boring things I have ever seen. I'm sure the movie will be good but how the hell are they trying to Market it with this kind of a trailer? There's absolutely nothing told to you in the trailer. There's no youth element to this movie and adults will have a lot more options than this. 100 million? I'd be surprised if it hits 50.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Baumer liked Blair Witch said:

This trailer is one of the most boring things I have ever seen. I'm sure the movie will be good but how the hell are they trying to Market it with this kind of a trailer? There's absolutely nothing told to you in the trailer. There's no youth element to this movie and adults will have a lot more options than this. 100 million? I'd be surprised if it hits 50.

Prepare to be surprised. 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Baumer liked Blair Witch said:

It's told to you that this is a colorful musical romance about two young aspiring artists in L.A., it stars Ryan Gosling and Emma Stone, and people who've seen it are absolutely crazy about it. What the hell else do you need to know?

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Jake Gittes said:

It's told to you that this is a colorful musical romance about two young aspiring artists in L.A., it stars Ryan Gosling and Emma Stone, and people who've seen it are absolutely crazy about it. What the hell else do you need to know?

Is it an Origin story or not ?

What are their powers ?

Are they Avengers of part of the JL ?

Who are the Villains ?

Where is the cute CGI talking animal ?

Is there a Yeezus song ?

What is the release date of La La Land 2 : The Umbrellas of Cherbourg Age ?

These are the questions fans & GA alike are really interested in.

Edited by The Futurist
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Baumer liked Blair Witch said:

It has the attention of young females, however young males feel about it.  Definitely appeals to young females, though. (well, I can't speak for all of them.  But several people I know have said they are looking forward to it, and that hasn't happened for GOTT or even Arrival.  I hear more guys looking forward to Arrival than girls.)

Edited by trifle

13 hours ago, Baumer liked Blair Witch said:

That is not a bet you want to make.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, EmpireCity said:

I know a couple who have seen it and from the reactions last night and other factors, I would say it is safe to say it will be right there for most of the awards.  

Ah cool. Very nice to hear. Saw the trailer with Moonlight and thought it looked really good.