Noctis

La La Land | Now Playing | Record-Tieing 14 Oscar Noms and Record-Breaking 16 BOFFY Noms

10 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

Interesting — FilmCritHulk, who I've a lot of time for and thought would eat this up, wasn't a fan, calling it 'form over function': http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2016/12/15/hulk-vs.-the-many-la-la-lands

He's not really a thumbs up/thumbs down guy. And it reads pretty much like a positive to me. His closing argument is that the movie works in spite of it flaws and that it feels honest. That's not OMG MASTERPIECE! but it's a good review.

Just now, Joel M said:

He's not really a thumbs up/thumbs down guy. And it reads pretty much like a positive to me. His closing argument is that the movie works in spite of it flaws and that it feels honest. That's not OMG MASTERPIECE! but it's a good review.

Damn, you quoted me just before I edited it to reflect that on further consideration. ;)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, cannastop said:

You know you have white privilege when Lionsgate is at the top of your shit list.

Not arguing against the white privilege (definitely aware I have it lol), but hey, I'll at least say Donald Trump is above Lionsgate on my shitlist ;)

10 hours ago, Jake Gittes said:

Emma Stone's singing is pretty nice.

Thought Gosling did better in City of Stars. And Emma is better in this one.

Nice little scene.

Im excited, hopefully the expansion on Christmas come near me.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cannastop said:

I have to say, Lionsgate seems determined to sabotage this movie financially.

Unless plans changed last minute, they really shouldn't have advertised it being "everywhere" on Christmas Day if that wasn't going to be the case, it gets people's hopes up unnecessarily. Still, the plan is for LLL to have the legs of an awards contender, not a tentpole. Chicago (already a popular Broadway musical with an established following) didn't hit 1000+ theaters until February and its peak theater count wasn't until the last weekend in March. Oscar season was longer then but Miramax hardly left money on the table. La La Land will be fine.

24 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Oscar season was a month longer.

Not sure that it would be wise to try to trace the path of a movie that was released 14 years ago.

Sure it's not the same but awards contenders have very different rollouts and legs than movies outside of that bubble, just look at the prestige pics this decade for examples.

Edited by BoxOfficeChica

Reading reviews for La La Land is both hilarious & sad.

They all point out how sunny and joyous the experience is, as if it was a rare thing to experience joy at the movies.

These people seem to have a very hard time to find any artistic value/merit in movies that don't feature characters who have horrible things (abuse, poverty, disease, mourning, war, -isms, choose your plague) happening  to them, in a small setting.

Those poor people ... I feel bad for them, to live in such a bleak artistic world.

:(

I have so much fun & joy at the movies most of the times.

:)

I will quote Michael Bay again :

" Critics were born with a birth deffect, they are missing the fun gene"

Spot on Michael, as always.

Edited by The Futurist

5 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Reading reviews for La La Land is hilarious.

They all point out how sunny and joyous the experience is, as if it was a rare thing to experience joy at the movies.

These people seem to have a very hard time to find any artistic value/merit in movies that don't feature characters who have horrible things ( abuse, poverty, disease, mourning, war, -isms, choose your plague) happening  to them.

Those poor people ... I feel bad for them, to live in such a bleak world.

Aren't you too busy crying over the poor reviews for Passengers to be doing this? Be gone, fool who dreams.

• Like 2

I didn't think it was that good :(

Neither of them can sing or dance that well which is kind of blah, and the middle started to drag on a little... 

Spoiler

Best part was the Singin' in the Rain surrealist dream sequence throwback though.

Edit: Technical marvel though. I'll take cinematography, production design, possibly editing easy.

Edited by Travod

On 12/16/2016 at 1:13 AM, The Futurist said:

Reading reviews for La La Land is both hilarious & sad.

These people seem to have a very hard time to find any artistic value/merit in movies that don't feature characters who have horrible things (abuse, poverty, disease, mourning, war, -isms, choose your plague) happening  to them, in a small setting.

Those poor people ... I feel bad for them, to live in such a bleak artistic world.

I agree with the general sentiment: if Lala Land is the first time in 2016 that you experienced joy at the cinema, either you have a very narrow definition of 'joy' or you simply equate joy at the cinema with old-Hollywood-type musicals.

As for LLL, it's weird that, as much as I enjoy musicals in general, and in spite of how charming I find Stone and Gosling, all the clips and trailers I have seen have left me absolutely cold and unmoved.

• Like 1