Noctis

La La Land | Now Playing | Record-Tieing 14 Oscar Noms and Record-Breaking 16 BOFFY Noms

Just now, filmlover said:

This movie is anything but smug about what it sets out to do.

Honestly, if you're comparing this movie to the Artist or Birdman then I'd question if you've even actually seen it.  Parts of it are homages to golden age Hollywood, but if anything it's more critical of Hollywood then praising it.  

The movie's a genuine crowdpleaser and actually entertaining, as well as an absolute visual marvel.  

And I'm still going "WTF are you talking about" when people say a large part of the movie is whitesplaining jazz to black people.  It's not that at all, and it is a real stretch to make that argument if you've actually seen the movie.  The one scene that you can possibly make the argument for this isn't even shown in sympathy to Gosling's character.  I'd argue the movie is more about it being okay to love what is old, but not to be afraid to embrace the new (which Gosling's character arguably is at first, and by the end of the movie he's more open to the ideas of others.)

I guess it's just cool to hate the "it" movie in the guilds.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, dashrendar44 said:

On the topic of relationships entanglement and lifelines in modern urban settings, I'm certain that Linklater's "Before..." explores much of that topic in depth. "Tribute to Jazz"? Through the perspective of whitesplaining Ryan Gosling? No thanks. I'd rather watch a documentary on Miles Davis, Charlie Parker or John Coltrane than seeing Gosling lecturing what is the essence of Jazz to black jazz musicians. (As also playing in that worn-out trope that the hipster guy entirely defined by his dorky fixation has to educate the young ingenue who is a total ignoramus of everything "jazz" because she hates it sight unseen like 99% of girls in LA and that makes them unlovable for our musical elitist hero until she succcombs to his encyclopedic knowledge and immaculate musical tastes...)

Tribute to LA? Of course, the vibe underneath it "We are young, most talented and most attractive! We are struggling Artists, We are Hollywood, We are important!". It's like a Birdman musical set in Hollywood (And I enjoyed Birdman but the self-righteousness of it all is off-putting).

The thing is this movie feels like another "The Artist" and nothing much but is treated as the second coming of Hollywood because tap-dancing and lounge jazz.

So it's not innovative per se but the apparent dearth of "good ole musicals of the yesteryear" makes it look like it. That's exactly my point.

lol you REALLY hated this film haha. I'm sure I'll like it a lot more than you since I did really like the trailers and it seems my style but I find it funny. I do understand some of your criticisms though. Especially the jazz thing. I'll have to see it myself to see if I agree. 

Edited by ban1o

Just now, ban1o said:

Why does Futurist dislike this movie? Is it just because of Emma Stone who is an actress in JLaw's age bracket? 

critics love it + it's gonna win awards + jennifer lawrence isn't in it + no explosions. deadly combination. guarantees futurist's programming will react badly to it. tho secretly he loves those movies because they give him an excuse to smugly explain why people dumber than him like the movie.

• Like 9

8 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

^let's be real musicals aren't the most enlightened genre. there are like five movie musicals in all of existence where the "white people: the musical" joke doesn't apply.

I know, it's just that The Futurist's attempts at shading this movie are even more flimsy than they usually are. It's a coping mechanism, I guess.

6 hours ago, Jake Gittes said:

I'm also so tired of Hollywood giving us all those Jacques Demy, Minnelli, and Astaire & Rogers homages every damn year. Is it ever gonna end or what?

That s exactly why such uncreative and mundane movies like Hell or High Water, Manchester by the Sea & la La land are praised to the heavens in 2016, because they feel so different from the current status quo & norm & movies that are doing very well at the box office.

Because these movies are rare in today's landscape, it becomes a quality in itself, which amuses me  a lot.

Hell or High water & Manchester were decent movies I guess, but unremarkable.

La La Land looks as creative as Force Awakens from the trailers.

And they are all very very tiny movies, self centered movies about boring, mundane characters you don't want to root for or be.

Thank god those movies are not the norm and that we don't have 40 Manchesters & La La lands & Hell or High Waters per year, that would be depressing, bleak & grim to live in these trying times.

Edited by The Futurist

4 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

tho secretly he loves those movies because they give him an excuse to smugly explain why people dumber than him like the movie.

1 minute ago, The Futurist said:

That s exactly why such uncreative and mundane movies like Hell or High Water, Manchester by the Sea & la La land are praised to the heavens in 2016, because they feel so different from the current status quo & norm & movies that are doing very well at the box office.

Because these movies are perceived as rare in today's landscape.

And they are all very very tiny movies, self centered movies on boring characters you don't want to root for or be.

Thank god those movies are not the norm and that we don't have 40 Manchesters & La La lands & Hell or High Waters per year, that would be depressing, bleak & grim to live in these trying times.

• Like 9

2 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Because these movies are perceived as rare in today's landscape.

And they are all very very tiny movies, self centered movies on boring characters you don't want to root for or be.

So, how's JLaw's big new blockbuster Passengers going?