Noctis

La La Land | Now Playing | Record-Tieing 14 Oscar Noms and Record-Breaking 16 BOFFY Noms

3 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

It's a bit weird that Stone is only now really getting her big Movie Star moment because she's been close to the spotlight since at least Zombieland 7 years ago but never quite ended up right in the center of it. In the time when JLaw (and, if you disregard box office, Brie Larson and Alicia Vikander) could go from complete unknown to Oscar winner in two years, Stone's steady rise feels like it took her ages. 

i think coming up thru comedies probably kept her from the oscar movies that actresses like those 3 were able to get for a little while. and then she booked a franchise like they all do, but it was those bullshit spider-man movies so that wasted a couple years. she attached herself to an auteur like Jlaw did with DOR but it was woody allen movies that nobody cared about. making the right moves in the wrong places.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

i think coming up thru comedies probably kept her from the oscar movies that actresses like those 3 were able to get for a little while. and then she booked a franchise like they all do, but it was those bullshit spider-man movies so that wasted a couple years. she attached herself to an auteur like Jlaw did with DOR but it was woody allen movies that nobody cared about. making the right moves in the wrong places.

Right. Plus TASM, aside from being TASM, arrived a few months after THG so Lawrence had already attracted all the It Girl hype Stone might have gotten.

I think she's gonna do great in the long run, anyway. She seemingly got blockbusters out of her system quickly and is only getting better as an actress now.

• Like 6

23 hours ago, ban1o said:

oh wow I just saw this article. Interesting that Michael B. Jordan was once considered for the role.  Can he sing or play the piano though? I doubt any major studio would have ever put a black actor in that type of role though even if Damien wanted to. 

Reveal hidden contents

I do appreciate how much of a jazz fan Damien seems to be maybe I'll watch his first film Guy and Madeline on a Park Bench if I can find it 

I'm not surprised at your friend's reaction as my girlfriend who watched it with me didn't pick up on it either. But if you are aware of the "white savior" trope and Hollywood's overwhelming affinity for constantly using it and patting themselves on the back then yeah, it is pretty hard to ignore as it gets in your face. Madison is right in that the opening number with a diverse set of singers and dancers (something that made me think this would indeed turn out to be Hamilton level subversive for a moment and that critics were actually underselling it!) only makes the "white lens" aspect of the rest of the film all the more obvious. I mean, I obviously knew the two leads are Caucasian actors and I do really like both of them so it's not like the blame can be placed at the feet of "false marketing" and I knew, or thought I knew, what I was getting. What I was NOT expecting was Gosling's character being completely obsessed with victimizing "pure jazz", needing to proclaim how it's DYING, how the current scene is basic etc. etc. and his trajectory is standard white savior too so I don't see what lessons he learned in this regard. As dashrendar previously said, the tone-deafness of it all is unbelievable, especially in an #OscarSoWhite climate.

It's interesting that Chazelle did use POC leads for his debut non-studio film and I want to see it too. It's just unfortunate that the studio refused to see how this is adding to the issues that already exist in the Hollywood system. And LMAO @ so many paid professionals who critique movies for a living "feeling joy for the first time in a long time theatres" and being all kinds of giddy (though I see that RT is dropping slightly now)

Edited by Spidey Freak
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Jake Gittes said:

It's a bit weird that Stone is only now really getting her big Movie Star moment because she's been close to the spotlight since at least Zombieland 7 years ago but never quite ended up right in the center of it. In the time when JLaw (and, if you disregard box office, Brie Larson and Alicia Vikander) could go from complete unknown to Oscar winner in two years, Stone's steady rise feels like it took her ages. 

Emma simply hasn't chased Oscar bait type movies. Up until LLL I'd say only The Help and Birdman were the only movies with Oscar appeal (and she did get her first nomination for Birdman).

Emma is versatile, but comedy is where she is strongest and the Academy virtually  never recognizes comedy.

It looks like LLL is expanding to 593 theaters on Christmas, at least that's the number at moviephone.

8 minutes ago, Cochofles said:

What I find hilarious is certain reviews that say that this is "boldly original," "refreshing," and "revolutionary." :D 

Well, it is refreshing. This is what the majority of the country needs right now as we face an uncertain 4 years ahead of us.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, ThePanda A Star Wars Story said:

It's because it is.

Care to explain what is "revolutionary", "refreshing"  and "boldly original" about a throwback and musical tribute to Hollywood Golden Age and Jacques Demy?

(Especially the latter, considering I'm french and hail from Nantes aka Jacques Demy's city, I find hilarious that people now consider his sixties movies boldly refreshing when I've been throat-gagged about him ever since I was born)

Edited by dashrendar44

Just now, dashrendar44 said:

Care to explain what is "innovative", "refreshing"  and "boldly original" about a throwback and musical tribute to Hollywood Golden Age?

You pretty much just answered your own question. We don't see movies often enough these days that when one comes along, it feels fresh.

• Like 1

Just now, dashrendar44 said:

Care to explain what is "innovative", "refreshing"  and "boldly original" about a throwback and musical tribute to Hollywood Golden Age?

While parts of the movie can be seen as a throwback, the entirety of it is something new entirely.  The immaculate moving energy of the entire work is more than enough to qualify for the word refreshing.  The cinematography is gorgeous and unique, it etches itself into your memory.  The movie is less a tribute to the Hollywood Golden Age and more of a tribute to Jazz, the city of L.A., and a take on those relationships that may not last but "life you off the ground" and take you in the direction you need to go.  The movie does a great job at taking what's familiar and using that to mold something new entirely.  I'd say it's definitely a memorable standout for the year.

Maybe the movie wasn't your taste, that's fine, not every movie is.  But if somebody walks out of the movie saying they've seen it all before, I'd call BS on that.

31 minutes ago, ThePanda A Star Wars Story said:

While parts of the movie can be seen as a throwback, the entirety of it is something new entirely.  The immaculate moving energy of the entire work is more than enough to qualify for the word refreshing.  The cinematography is gorgeous and unique, it etches itself into your memory.  The movie is less a tribute to the Hollywood Golden Age and more of a tribute to Jazz, the city of L.A., and a take on those relationships that may not last but "life you off the ground" and take you in the direction you need to go.  The movie does a great job at taking what's familiar and using that to mold something new entirely.  I'd say it's definitely a memorable standout for the year.

Maybe the movie wasn't your taste, that's fine, not every movie is.  But if somebody walks out of the movie saying they've seen it all before, I'd call BS on that.

On the topic of relationships entanglement and lifelines in modern urban settings, I'm certain that Linklater's "Before..." explores much of that topic in depth. "Tribute to Jazz"? Through the perspective of whitesplaining Ryan Gosling? No thanks. I'd rather watch a documentary on Miles Davis, Charlie Parker or John Coltrane than seeing Gosling lecturing what is the essence of Jazz to black jazz musicians. (As also playing in that worn-out trope that the hipster guy entirely defined by his dorky fixation has to educate the young ingenue who is a total ignoramus of everything "jazz" because she hates it sight unseen like 99% of girls in LA and that makes them unlovable for our musical elitist hero until she succcombs to his encyclopedic knowledge and immaculate musical tastes...)

Tribute to LA? Of course, the vibe underneath it "We are young, most talented and most attractive! We are struggling Artists, We are Hollywood, We are important!". It's like a Birdman musical set in Hollywood (And I enjoyed Birdman but the self-righteousness of it all is off-putting).

The thing is this movie feels like another "The Artist" and nothing much but is treated as the second coming of Hollywood because tap-dancing and lounge jazz.

39 minutes ago, filmlover said:

You pretty much just answered your own question. We don't see movies often enough these days that when one comes along, it feels fresh.

So it's not innovative per se but the apparent dearth of "good ole musicals of the yesteryear" makes it look like it. That's exactly my point.

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, dashrendar44 said:

On the topic of relationships entanglement and lifelines in modern urban settings, I'm certain that Linklater's "Before..." explores much of that topic in depth. "Tribute to Jazz"? Through the perspective of whitesplaining Ryan Gosling? No thanks. I'd rather watch a documentary on Miles Davis, Charlie Parker or John Coltrane than seeing Gosling lecturing what is the essence of Jazz to black jazz musicians. (As also playing in that worn-out trope that the hipster guy entirely defined by his dorky fixation has to educate the young ingenue who is a total ignoramus of everything "jazz" because she hates it sight unseen like 99% of girls in LA and that makes them unlovable for our musical elitist hero until she succcombs to his encyclopedic knowledge and immaculate musical tastes...)

Tribute to LA? Of course, the vibe underneath it "We are young, most talented and most attractive! We are struggling Artists, We are Hollywood, We are important!". It's like a Birdman musical set in Hollywood (And I enjoyed Birdman but the self-righteousness of it all is off-putting).

The thing is this movie feels like another "The Artist" and nothing much but is treated as the second coming of Hollywood because tap-dancing and lounge jazz.

So it's not innovative per se but the apparent dearth of "good ole musicals of the yesteryear" makes it look like it. That's exactly my point.

Lol, you can think whatever you want to think.  We obviously saw two different movies.